Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Mar 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Night-train
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Sadly some of us on here remember it from Jet at 4/11d a gallon.

If you were a rich kid then Shell was 5/3d
First petrol I ever bought was 83p for a gallon, roughly 18p per litre. When it became the norm to sell by the litre rather than the gallon it gave some people/businesses a license to print money and it became the racket it is.

Edited at 05:52 PM.
Night-train is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
SandLake
Excited about Disney

I smile when I remember my day taking the Austin 1100 in and asking for '£1's worth' and it nearly filled the car up - and someone did it for you!
SandLake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 20, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by SandLake View Post
I smile when I remember my day taking the Austin 1100 in and asking for '£1's worth' and it nearly filled the car up - and someone did it for you!
I worked at a Petrol station in 1975 and I think I remember petrol being 39p a gallon and you used to serve people.

But my memory may be playing tricks.
Old 27 Mar 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Remember my Dad getting 2 & 2 shots. 2 gallons of petrol and 2 shots of Redex. Always insisted on whole gallons no matter if that meant an odd amount of cash to pay.

I once tried to stop at £10 but it rolled over by 1/2p and the guy insisted I pay it despite only having £5 notes... £4.99 1/2 change!
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I worked at a Petrol station in 1975 and I think I remember petrol being 39p a gallon and you used to serve people.

But my memory may be playing tricks.
BB, back in the early 90's I wanted a break from secretarial work and worked at a petrol station. At the time the UK was moving over from leaded to unleaded, the pumps dispensed both with the customer making their selection before removing the nozzle... so, I come in one day to start work and as was par for the course yet another person didn't read the instructions, an older lady, the bloke I was replacing watched her hit the leaded button again and again, finally he opened the PA mic saying; 'replace the nozzle, make your selection, then remove the nozzle'... the woman looked up, down, across the garage trying to work out who'd spoken, she then took the nozzle up to her mouth, looked inside and shouted 'aaay?'... we fell about and were incapable of going out to help her for a while.

We knew dual fuel disperse on one pump would be problematic because people will not read instructions. They'd storm in and shout it was our fault they'd put unleaded in, blah blah. My patience wore thin very quickly, I'd ask if they read the instructions, no, oh well, that's £x amount. I have no sympathy for those who don't read instructions, instead playing the transfer of blame card, has to be somebody's else's fault eh!
Old 27 Mar 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
Remember my Dad getting 2 & 2 shots. 2 gallons of petrol and 2 shots of Redex. Always insisted on whole gallons no matter if that meant an odd amount of cash to pay.

I once tried to stop at £10 but it rolled over by 1/2p and the guy insisted I pay it despite only having £5 notes... £4.99 1/2 change!
Hi PB, the reason staff insisted on full payment, where I worked, any less we personally made up or lost our bonus. May seem petty but consider almost all customers over-ran, those pennies mounted up. As they were removed from circulation in 1984 I never dealt with ha'pennies.
Old 27 Mar 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
BB, back in the early 90's I wanted a break from secretarial work and worked at a petrol station. At the time the UK was moving over from leaded to unleaded, the pumps dispensed both with the customer making their selection before removing the nozzle... so, I come in one day to start work and as was par for the course yet another person didn't read the instructions, an older lady, the bloke I was replacing watched her hit the leaded button again and again, finally he opened the PA mic saying; 'replace the nozzle, make your selection, then remove the nozzle'... the woman looked up, down, across the garage trying to work out who'd spoken, she then took the nozzle up to her mouth, looked inside and shouted 'aaay?'... we fell about and were incapable of going out to help her for a while.

We knew dual fuel disperse on one pump would be problematic because people will not read instructions. They'd storm in and shout it was our fault they'd put unleaded in, blah blah. My patience wore thin very quickly, I'd ask if they read the instructions, no, oh well, that's £x amount. I have no sympathy for those who don't read instructions, instead playing the transfer of blame card, has to be somebody's else's fault eh!
I also remember that Gary Glitter (who lived fairly local if I remember correctly) gave me a £5 tip for serving him. In those days that was a lot to a 17 year old !
Old 27 Mar 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

I also remember that Gary Glitter (who lived fairly local if I remember correctly) gave me a £5 tip for serving him. In those days that was a lot to a 17 year old !
Never heard of Gary whatsisname... come on, come on, does this mean I'm in your gang now, we know you're the leader of the gang
Old 28 Mar 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Maybe you should re-read what you have written.. You may want to re-word it slightly...😜

Edited at 11:56 AM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Jim
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Passed my driving test in 1969 when I had to have a man with a red flag walking in front of me.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast today so no chance with petrol prices 51 years ago. Passed in an Austin 1100 if anyone recalls them.

Mick
My first car was a red Austin 1100 and it's the only number plate I can remember! I loved that little rust bucket
Big Jim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List