Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Mar 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
chelsea1
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Balances Insurance Response

This is advice from my travel insurance company as to whether I should pay the balances when they become due.

I am due to pay the balance on my holiday shortly. My trip destination is currently an area where the FCO are advising against all but essential travel.
Will I be covered if I pay the balance and then I am unable to travel due to FCO advice in the future?

No. You will need to approach your booking agent to discuss your options.
If you purchased a policy prior to 17th March your policy will only provide cover for cancellation costs as detailed in your policy wording up to the date the FCO advice changed and not costs you have committed to beyond that date.
chelsea1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for posting. People should be aware of insurance implications of paying up balances and/or rebooking, and should be advised to contact their travel insurance before doing so.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

If you decide not to pay the balances on the grounds of FCO advice, and then FCO advice changes, but it's too late to pay and save your holiday by then, the insurance will of course pay out, and won't at all claim that it's your fault for not paying balances when they were due !

I'm not friends with insurance companies !
Old 28 Mar 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gipsy 4
slightly serious Dibber

Gipsy 4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Our balance is due in May so at least we have some time for things to become clearer (hopefully!)
What about seat reservation fees and what happens with Disney after hours tickets and MNSSHP? Will the insurance company reimburse that too? It’s all these extras you have paid for separately.
Gipsy 4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
If you decide not to pay the balances on the grounds of FCO advice, and then FCO advice changes, but it's too late to pay and save your holiday by then, the insurance will of course pay out, and won't at all claim that it's your fault for not paying balances when they were due !

I'm not friends with insurance companies !
Difficult to see a way forward. First port of call would be holiday company for me to see what they are saying.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
nth09
Apprentice Imagineer

nth09's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
which insurance company was this OP? Although I suspect they are all going to be following the same line and doing everything they can to avoid paying out over the next few months.
nth09 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
chelsea1
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Now Travel insurance through money supermarket and are 5* de facto rated
chelsea1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
Mobile

I work in the insurance industry. If it’s clear that you are not going but still decide to pay more money out then I can see why your insurer will not payout. In reality, most refunds will be coming from travel agents/ tour operators rather than travel insurance
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
I work in the insurance industry. If it’s clear that you are not going but still decide to pay more money out then I can see why your insurer will not payout. In reality, most refunds will be coming from travel agents/ tour operators rather than travel insurance
Why is that? It's clearly not the agencies fault that people can't travel.
Old 28 Mar 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Why is that? It's clearly not the agencies fault that people can't travel.
Because it is up to them to supply what you have paid for. If they can’t do this then they need to return your money.

It’s not the airlines fault either but they have to refund too!
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List