Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Mar 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Exclamation ** Scam TV Licence email **

Hi

Just a word of warning as I've received an email supposedly from TV licencing that my TV licence expires today as they couldn't take my DD payment. There was a link supposedly to amend direct debit details.

The email doesn't look too bad, so I found the official TV licencing site and tried phoning the help line. Unfortunately I gave up as the automated system isn't very good.

The good news was that I can check my account, through the official site, and all payments are up to date.

However if you search under TV licence scam emails there is guidance. I was going to post a link, but decided under the circumstances that this wouldn't be helpful!

The clearest thing wrong was that that I was addressed by my full email address rather than my name.

Please take care as these scams are getting more sophisticated in their presentation and content.

Edit

I've just reported the attempt to Action Fraud via their online account.

Edited at 03:56 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I see Tom had the same issue recently.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ght=tv+licence

I'll leave my thread on too as the more who see it the better.
Old 24 Mar 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

We had a letter yesterday, the heading was from TV licensing. It was telling us to click onto a link as we had paid to much to British Gas and there was a refund waiting for us.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Just bumping this as I've had a couple more dodgy emails recently.

Still addressing me as

Dear emailaddress
Old 6 Aug 20, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Ive had this on numerous occasions. x

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 05:58 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

If you look carefully, you'll see the date is in American (mm/dd/yyyy) format which is a bit of a giveaway.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yes, always seem to get the TV licensing email😡😡
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Yep had 3 in past week all reported ncsc.gov.uk/information/...SAAEgIuDPD_BwE
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
FamilyDisney
Getting Excited

Mobile

I've had this email a few times. If something looks dodgy I check the email address it has come from. Theses TV licensing ones have the domain of .be suggesting they originate in Belgium. That's enough to tell me it isn't from UK tv licensing.
FamilyDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Had lots of these emails over the years as well as many others that can look convincing. Unfortunately it's not a new practice, just never click on any links included in emails.