Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Aug 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

The present my great nephew said he liked best for his 3rd birthday was the cake he helped Mum to bake, and that he decorated himself with chocolate spread and white chocolate drops !

He took a photo of it for Mum to send out and put on FB.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve always bought kids what they want within reason, if I think things are a waste of money I won’t buy them. I have cut down on buying little things for the sake of it, I have gone overboard on dds 18th birthday because of lockdown and missing my sons wedding. We also missed going to Munich for my dds birthday, one of my dds favourite presents was a speaker I got her last year that lights up £29.99 from Amazon. Everyone’s does what they like and can afford
Old 7 Aug 20, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

So this year daughter will be 19 in Sept and the birthday presents have already started.

£5500 on a car
£750 on insurance
£800 on flights for her and partner to join us on holiday
Over £1000 on stuff for Uni already

I can see this being a 10k birthday this year
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 05:44 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have always spent far too much but we only have the one child and he has medical conditions and I think I always went overboard on making every day count! That’s how I always justified it anyway! He always had a party of some sort too including soft play, karting, laser tag, cinema trips, go ape etc culminating in an 18th last year. He isn’t a spoilt brat though and does appreciate all he has where as I have met kids who get a lot less and still have a self entitled attitude. He is 19 in a few weeks and has had a theme park break for himself and a friend and a few clothes, £310 total which isn’t too bad as now he is a working adult I am trying to reign it in! He has said he would like a PS5 though so we may get him one for Xmas 🤦
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.

Edited at 05:46 AM.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 06:22 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I've cut right back for both birthday and Christmas

Something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read.
Something to drink and something to make you think

Its fab because any of those can be any price going. I found this and got over my need for them to have mountains of gifts. They had been telling me to for years (esp stockings! )
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

When the kids were younger, it was always a smaller present (Max £50-60) from us for their birthday but then a big birthday celebration/party of their choice with their friends. They preferred the party over ‘having stuff’.

As they have gotten older, it’s switched, they’d rather just have a family meal with us, a few friends round for pizza on another night and then a gift from us (usually around £100-£150 tops).

Christmas we spend way too much on them, but that’s our choice and we only spend what we can afford Which varies from year to year. Usually their presents include stuff they need, I.e. clothes, pjs etc, but also actual gifts like perfume, make up etc.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
At age six am sure she would prefer all the frills and fuss, not presents, do fun things like a pineata, and games? My best memories of birthdays are the cakes, the party ring biscuits, playing pass the parcel and musical bumps!
That’s what kind of stuff I would have liked but don’t think any of the parties they have been to have had those games so I don’t even think they would know them. She did ask for a party at a play centre at beginning of the year but obviously that’s out and she also wanted to go away in a caravan but as she is the very end of August and I’m working the days either side we can’t. We are going this weekend instead but it’s just a holiday. We are also booked in for a meal where she wants to go but again it’s on a Day that’s not her birthday so god knows what we will do that day.

I think if the weather is good a bbq. She absolutely loves bbqs
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
So this year daughter will be 19 in Sept and the birthday presents have already started.

£5500 on a car
£750 on insurance
£800 on flights for her and partner to join us on holiday
Over £1000 on stuff for Uni already

I can see this being a 10k birthday this year
There are always years like that. Wait till you have a wedding and house deposit year.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

I used to spend about £50 on each Xmas and birthday (January). Also got socks and pj at Xmas.
As DS got older he also has a party (to approx £100)

Now as a teenager it's £200 Xmas, £100 birthday and cinema \ bowling with couple of friends.

Every so often he has a new console so we combine value for a joint present.

I don't count stocking fillers as that's my tradition. They always include socks, chocolate coins, pack of top trumps and an orange

Edited at 07:03 AM.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

I don’t really have a set amount for birthdays, it depends what they want. Some years it’s £30, others £100.
Christmas I tend to spend about £100 each on them.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List