Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 22, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyxxSarah
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Florida revokes Disney's self-governing status - what does this mean for holidays?

Hi all,

I've been looking out for any posts on this but haven't seen any. I understand Florida has revoked Disney's self-governing status. I don't intend this to be a politic post, but instead i'm trying to understand what this may mean for our future holidays if this sticks. will prices go up even more now? Will anyone be able to drive around Disney property now? Florida taxes will go to pay for the regulation and upkeep of Disney property i think, but what effect will there be on people visiting, if any?
Old 22 Apr 22, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
qwerty2k
Trading Disney Pins

It wont be dissolved until June 2023...if at all so in the short term nothing changes.
qwerty2k is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

In a nutshell from a guest perspective (IF it does get dissolved and I don't think it will):

- The classic purple roadsigns will be replaced with generic ones.
- Municipal maintenance will go downhill. Things won't look as nice around the general area.
- Projects will likely be intentionally blocked by red tape making it more difficult to deliver guest services like new attractions, hotels, etc.
- Prices may go up but that's not certain. They may go down if taxpayers are footing the bill for municipal areas.
- The RCID buildings and staff may be lost, some of which beloved by fans (the giant firehouse and helmet, for example).
- There may be unpredictable financial consequences staying on site, getting around, and general changes in practice that are anyone's guess. All depends if this ridiculous political theatre carries on.

Edited at 01:15 PM.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rocking Ewok
slightly serious Dibber

It will have no change on people being able to visit the resorts or drive through as they already can.

The change is likely to have an effect on the residents of the two adjoining counties as the tax burden shifts to them along with any debt.

For Disney it could mean planning decisions take a lot longer and face more scrutiny.

Who knows about costs to visitors as even when the self governing status goes, Disney might be able to negotiate retaining certain functions it wants while getting rid of things it had to do previously.
The emergency services workers may face cuts as they are merged with the existing departments within the counties.

Overall though very little detail on what this will mean in practice and how Disney will respond.
Rocking Ewok is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Rizzoface
slightly serious Dibber

All Disney had to do was keep their mouths shut and focus on what their business model is = Magic and entertainment. They have gotten more and more political over the years as a company. This unfortunately was inevitable when you go outside your lane.
I go to Disney to forget and have fun and not to have ideologies or agendas pushed onto me - this is of course MY opinion.

The shareholders will not be happy and Bob paycheck is going to have to answer to them eventually. I wouldn't be surprised a lot of this is posturing and to bring them back on track and theyll hash out a new deal where they get to keep governing themselves essentially but with concessions.

thats my two cents.
Rizzoface is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymike
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Rizzoface View Post
All Disney had to do was keep their mouths shut and focus on what their business model is = Magic and entertainment. They have gotten more and more political over the years as a company. This unfortunately was inevitable when you go outside your lane.
I go to Disney to forget and have fun and not to have ideologies or agendas pushed onto me - this is of course MY opinion.

The shareholders will not be happy and Bob paycheck is going to have to answer to them eventually. I wouldn't be surprised a lot of this is posturing and to bring them back on track and theyll hash out a new deal where they get to keep governing themselves essentially but with concessions.

thats my two cents.
Whatever your political viewpoint do you really want to live in a world where a government punitively pursues a company because they had the audacity to disagree with a policy?

Disney is not 'pushing ideologies or agendas' on guests, they are standing up for a large number of their employees by making a statement against what is, let's face it, a shameful 21st century incarnation of the UK's infamous section 28.

Edited at 01:43 PM.
disneymike is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Rocking Ewok
slightly serious Dibber

thats my two cents.
I would disagree, wouldn’t say they are pushing an agenda and also wouldn’t say this was inevitable if you speak out.

Incredibly short sighted in revoking the status. It’s going to have a huge impact on the area. Disney might not even feel the impact as much as is expected. Potentially they get rid of things they don’t want or need that they pay for and have the upkeep.
But they have enough clout to still push things through, though perhaps take a bit longer such as new resorts or redevelopment. Let’s face it they are a massive employer in the area and one of the reasons for bringing people to the area.

I heard on the news yesterday that things like the firefighters would be merged with the existing services but those who remain will lose their length of service. Which is quite a big thing for the firefighters but not so much Disney.
Rocking Ewok is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I think Disney tried to keep out of it, but in a world of labour shortages they spoke up when large numbers of their staff put pressure on them. If they hadn’t been funding the republicans it may have been easier to keep out of it, but equally may have resulted in the current situation happening sooner. It’s an interesting one.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
SamH88
Apprentice Imagineer

And so do thousands of other people who might be part of a minority who are discriminated against. If Disney want to do something to make everyone feel welcome, and not just straight white people, then good for them.
SamH88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDose
Serious Dibber

I read that Reedy Creek has bond debts of over $2 Billion and that if it gets dissolved, those debts will be passed to Floridian families living in the 2 counties it covers. Shocking. Terrible tit-for-tat politics and the locals will suffer for it.
DisneyDose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List