Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jun 22, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
6th form is optional hence they can't fine you, but they also don't have to have you on the course so its Worth checking. While I would not be bothered by fines etc Its going to have to be the students decision if they want to be kicked off a course for a holiday.
Old 13 Jun 22, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

No fine, but consider the impact as A levels are significant more challenging than GCSE.

Also no need to take weeks/ whole month off a course anyway, surely a few days either side of ‘peak’ dates is all that’s needed?
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
College courses can be very intense and I did have times when students booked term time holidays. It can help to ask in advance and maybe arrange some way of not missing too much but it can quite badly impact their progress. (I was very lenient with a student who was late back from South America though as there had been an earthquake and she couldn’t get back in time for the start of term.)
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Donz1979 View Post
Its also wrong that holiday companys bump prices up within school hols. I believe family holidays are important as long as obv not crucial time like GCSEs
A levels and Level 3 qualifications are pretty crucial too.
I think it would be more appropriate to check the policy of the 6th form/college on this point rather than be concerned over fines.
The work rate for these qualifications is pretty intense.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025

Edited at 09:06 PM.
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 22, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Donz1979 View Post
Most of the time cheaper still to take the fine!
More lining of govs pockets!
Exactly all of this!

I went to Florida with my family every year in high school (sometimes even twice). Still got my GCSEs, still got my A-Levels (with a trip there too), and still went on to get a degree.

My younger sister has also had the same kind of time, and like you say my mum & dad happily pay any fine they get as it's still cheaper than school holiday prices.

As long as you're confident your child won't fall behind there shouldn't be anything else to it!
deanobrown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 22, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by deanobrown View Post
Exactly all of this!

I went to Florida with my family every year in high school (sometimes even twice). Still got my GCSEs, still got my A-Levels (with a trip there too), and still went on to get a degree.

My younger sister has also had the same kind of time, and like you say my mum & dad happily pay any fine they get as it's still cheaper than school holiday prices.

As long as you're confident your child won't fall behind there shouldn't be anything else to it!
Quick question, did you get 10 A* at GCSE and 3 As at A Level, if not maybe you would have if your parents hadn't traded your education for saving a buck or two on a cheaper flight.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 22, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Quick question, did you get 10 A* at GCSE and 3 As at A Level, if not maybe you would have if your parents hadn't traded your education for saving a buck or two on a cheaper flight.
Wow, what a delightful judgement!
If you had any clue you'd know it isn't just 'a buck or two' difference between holiday periods and other times. Also, just because the holiday industry exploits the holiday periods like that, you think families that earn a decent enough living don't deserve to go on a nice holiday without breaking the bank?

And not that it's any of your business, but FYI: I got As & A*s at GCSE and As at A-Level, as well as a 1st at university.
And doing any better than that wouldn't have affected my future prospects any more than the results I did get.

I thank my parents every day for giving me a childhood I ENJOYED. Rather than forcing me to study non-stop and have no fun!

Edited at 02:46 PM.
deanobrown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 22, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Well done for your great results. I would think it’s the people who may struggle to catch up that could have problems. Their parents should be able to make a decision knowing their child’s situation and prospects.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 22, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

No fines at sixth form/college but you can be removed from the course for poor attendance or attainment.

Thinking back to when I was 17/18, I wouldn't have entertained the idea of missing college time for a holiday. I had a part time job, worked hard at college and wanted to get good grades to get into uni. Predicted grades from 1st year were used for university applications so it was important to work hard all the way through.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 22, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

I do believe in memory making. However I do think GCSes and A levels are a lot more intense now than they have been previously. I do wish my family could save and take our children out during term time but as both my husband and I work in education it would be very hard and we could lose our jobs.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List