Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 28 Jun 22, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Regionsbeyond
a Friend of the DIBB

Lanzarote for families. Where's best?

I last went to Lanzarote over 15 years ago with a couple of friends. We stayed self catering at Sands Beach in Costa Teguise and had a great time.
I have a partner and 2 kids and want to take them next August for my next birthday. They will be 2 and 14. I've been looking at Costa Teguise again as it's what I know but I can't remember of there's anything for families in that area beside the aquapark and it is a bit windy.
Is there a better resort on the island? I'd be looking at self catering still and want access to the tours and whatnot.
Any suggestions please?
Regionsbeyond is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Hi there, it's quite a small island so wherever you stay you will be able to access to tours etc.

Puerto Del Carmen is the largest of the 3 main resorts and will have lots of water activities for the kids and probably has the largest amount of self catering properties - if you pop a search in the forum for Lanzarote you will see a few self catering hotels mentioned and recommended.

Playa Blanca is quieter with a laid back feel - the promenade is over 6 miles long in total with no cars at the side of it which gives it a lovely feel. There are 3 main beaches long the promenade and 4 isolated beaches to the south which are worth the trek!

I don't know much about Costa Teguise but believe it to be an older resort and not quite as polished ... happy to be corrected though!

There's a thread on the go about Playa Blanca and although the discussion is about hotel recommendations keep an eye on it as you may fancy something being recommended.

We have just returned from Playa Blanca and everyone on the bus returning to the airport seemed to have a good time and there are a few self catering hotels available via TUI and Jet 2 - we have also booked previously using Easy Jet Holidays and they are very well priced! Going again this October with them and saving around £350 compared to TUI and £500 compared to Jet2!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have been to all 3 resorts at some point. Don’t like Peurto Del Carmen at all. Too big and busy and to be honest a bit tacky. We went pre children and it was great but didn’t like it at all last time. Costa Teguise from memory is very small, not that many restaurants and seemed very hotel based. We love Playa Blanca. We have found it perfect with children. There are loads of restaurants and bars but not “ in your face” like Puerto del Carmen. We love to take a walk down the prom in an evening, have a look in a few shops and have a nice meal. We have always preferred to book a Villa with the children rather than a hotel, we enjoy our own pool and barbecuing some nights.
We did book the Lanzarote Park hotel for husband and I but of course this didn’t happen ! With children though I would look at a villa, in Lanzarote they are not expensive as you would think.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Well I'm going to disagree with the previous poster regarding PDC as it's our favourite place in Lanzarote, not tacky at all imo, it's fun and has lovely restaurants and the old town is lovely too.
Plus you can walk to Puerto Calero one way and Matsgorda and the airport the other way
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Playa Blanca is lovely, I could go there over and over.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Another vote for Playa Blanca. One of the nicest resorts in the whole Canaries IMO.
Old 28 Jun 22, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Puerto del Carmen is lively or not - depending on which bit you stay in - it’s a very large area. We began our holidays to Lanzarote in Costa Teguise but the wind was relentless and got on our nerves. We had no idea that 10 minutes up the road it would be so different. We like it there because we usually stay on the fringes and can choose to go to the busiest parts when we want.
Floridafan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We love PDC when in Lanzarote, i've been 10 or more times and never stayed anywhere else... it doesn't have to be really lively and tacky if you don't want it to be. The Old Town harbour is lovely, and there are some lovely restaurants/cafes along the sea front, right on the sea. We like to go to the beach in Playa Blanca for the day, always hire a car but wouldn't stay there. My kids were 11 & 9 when we went last and they loved it, forever asking to go back!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List