Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 19 Dec 21, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Sounds lovely Helen , we are scaling it back again this year partly covid , partly work commitments but we will still have a lovely day, no in laws or my mum over, my eldest is coming over Xmas Eve she will sleep over and we will eat too much and watch Xmas films, she likes to be here for her sister waking up (early)... Christmas dinner will be part baked rolls crammed with turkey and cranberry sauce, pigs in blankets and roasties on the side and whatever fancy dessert catches my eye in M & S, my daughter's working Xmas day night, she recently started working on the hospital's children's ward so hoping to make that as fun as it can possibly be, boxing day traditionally will be our Xmas dinner but I'm working so looking at doing that another day instead
My daughter is on paediatrics at the moment and has Christmas day off this year, but not sure about next year as she's an F1 so on rotation. I hope you all have a lovely day

Our Menu, we will probably serve between 1.30-2pm. Most of it is from M&S. We will now have Turkey, I'm trying a roasting bag for the 1st time if anyone has any tips Duke of beef (sure this is just a rib lol) Honey and lemon glazed Salmon, Sea food bouillabaisse, Leg of lamb in red wine, Roast potatoes, Dauphinoise potatoes, Cauliflower cheese, Red Cabbage, Brussel sprout gratin, Jamaican steamed vegetables (became addicted to these when we had a last minute trip there in August) Plantain, Macaroni cheese pie, Spinach and Carrot Pilau rice, Various condiments/Gravies.

For Desert: M&S, sticky toffee Crown, Churros, Yuletide Chocolate log, Raspberry and lemon Semifreddo, Heston's Cracking Penny, this is a complete splurge as we don't need it but I just couldn't say no

serve buffet style so people will just take want they want. It'll be me and DD who drives home Christmas eve and my DS's. Not sure yet if we have anyone else joining us

Edited at 08:32 AM.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by happytraveller View Post
My daughter is on paediatrics at the moment and has Christmas day off this year, but not sure about next year as she's an F1 so on rotation. I hope you all have a lovely day

Our Menu, we will probably serve between 1.30-2pm. Most of it is from M&S. We will now have Turkey, I'm trying a roasting bag for the 1st time if anyone has any tips Duke of beef (sure this is just a rib lol) Honey and lemon glazed Salmon, Sea food bouillabaisse, Leg of lamb in red wine, Roast potatoes, Dauphinoise potatoes, Cauliflower cheese, Red Cabbage, Brussel sprout gratin, Jamaican steamed vegetables (became addicted to these when we had a last minute trip there in August) Plantain, Macaroni cheese pie, Spinach and Carrot Pilau rice, Various condiments/Gravies.

For Desert: M&S, sticky toffee Crown, Churros, Yuletide Chocolate log, Raspberry and lemon Semifreddo, Heston's Cracking Penny, this is a complete splurge as we don't need it but I just couldn't say no

serve buffet style so people will just take want they want. It'll be me and DD who drives home Christmas eve and my DS's. Not sure yet if we have anyone else joining us
Wow so much food !
I always use a roasting bag for chicken so I imagine its about the same - I go by inner temperature of the bird. I take it out when the thighs are 70 degree Celsius and let rest 20-30 mins and it will rise to 75.
Old 19 Dec 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
Wow so much food !
I always use a roasting bag for chicken so I imagine its about the same - I go by inner temperature of the bird. I take it out when the thighs are 70 degree Celsius and let rest 20-30 mins and it will rise to 75.
That's great, thank you

The Children always question do we need it all lol. Anything not eaten, gets frozen and comes back out when we cant be bothered to cook. Ironically, most of it does get eaten. We aren't great lovers of Turkey though, but fancied going back to it, so thought I'd give the bags a try
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 21, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

Well clearly no one likes my menu and with that feast I prefer yours so I’ll join you as you said you weren’t sure!
Old 21 Dec 21, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CarolynU View Post
Well clearly no one likes my menu and with that feast I prefer yours so I’ll join you as you said you weren’t sure!
Lol 😂 You’re more than welcome and we can talk holidays all day 😂
Old 21 Dec 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Some lovely food on here! I’m so greedy I love hearing what others are eating!

We have fresh croissants (I get the ones you bake from raw), smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast with champagne at around 10.30/11ish.
We never have a starter on Xmas day and tend to eat at 3ish. This year we were supposed to be having beef and veggie Wellington but I forgot to order them and can’t be faffed to make them. Instead we are going to have fillet of beef, clementine gammon and a mushroom veggie puff pastry thingy for my vegetarian PIL. We have peanut stuffing, cauli cheese, roast potatoes, parsnips, glazed carrots, red cabbage and sprouts with chestnuts. I’ve made Jamie Oliver’s make ahead gravy for the carnivores and that’s in the freezer ready to be reheated.

Pudding is panettone bread and butter pudding tarte or raspberry and amaretto trifle. Then cheese then food coma….
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by CarolynU View Post
Around 11am I’ll open the champagne. Around noon I’ll open some more champagne and that will be the pattern until I dish up turkey, ham and veg at around 1:30-2pm. We have this with red and white wine according to individual preference. Or this year as the three year old usually has a nap at exactly that time it could be different timing wise. I take my orders from the boss. My daughter lol!

My son in law is responsible for buying and cooking the Christmas Pudding and lighting it with something. Brandy? I usually only have a tiny spoonful as I’m full by then.

When we are hungry later on there is a second cold turkey cooked the day before with picky bits like the stuff you can pre-buy. Maybe cold salmon, tempura prawns etc etc. You choose what you want as my cooking is done for the day after the turkey lunch.

After the kids are in bed it’s g&t’s, or drinks of your choice and games.
I like your liberal application of champagne. That’s my approach too x
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 21, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Lol 😂 You’re more than welcome and we can talk holidays all day 😂
Sounds like a great plan! 🤣🤣
Old 21 Dec 21, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Originally Posted by HelenLime View Post
I like your liberal application of champagne. That’s my approach too x
Always helps, but I’m taking it off to my new friend Happy Traveller’s house this year! 😂😂
Old 21 Dec 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Originally Posted by HelenLime View Post
Some lovely food on here! I’m so greedy I love hearing what others are eating!

We have fresh croissants (I get the ones you bake from raw), smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast with champagne at around 10.30/11ish.
We never have a starter on Xmas day and tend to eat at 3ish. This year we were supposed to be having beef and veggie Wellington but I forgot to order them and can’t be faffed to make them. Instead we are going to have fillet of beef, clementine gammon and a mushroom veggie puff pastry thingy for my vegetarian PIL. We have peanut stuffing, cauli cheese, roast potatoes, parsnips, glazed carrots, red cabbage and sprouts with chestnuts. I’ve made Jamie Oliver’s make ahead gravy for the carnivores and that’s in the freezer ready to be reheated.

Pudding is panettone bread and butter pudding tarte or raspberry and amaretto trifle. Then cheese then food coma….
I like the sound of peanut stuffing. Very unusual. Is that your own recipe?