Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Apr 22, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tillyfloss View Post
But it is a political issue!
Initiated by the Florida governor.

I have no interest in the politics but I don’t think you can deny the background to this move.
It is 100% political. DeSantis isn't even trying to pretend it isn't retaliation for Disney speaking out against the new education bill. He is also removing Disney's exemption to a new media bill that he fully supported only months ago. He had also always been happy to accept large campaign donation from them in the past.
Old 21 Apr 22, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Apparently residents of Reedy Creek would have to approve by a majority vote that the district should be dissolved. Since the 50+ residents are all or mostly all Disney employees, it's not going to happen. Just political gesturing to please the Republican base.
I haven't heard that but am extremely suspicious of a bill drafted and approved within days. It is an extremely complex issue that would require Orange and Osceola counties to take on huge responsibilities for things like the fire/ambulance service, sewerage, power and road maintenance issues within Disney's huge area. Universal and Sea World are tiny in comparison so of course have always used Orange County services. The Florida Legislature didn't even discuss the issues at committee level.

It has passed in the Senate and is almost guaranteed to pass in the House as well. DeSantis will then rush to sign it before elections in November and claim victory over "woke" Disney. It will then be taken to court before it is even enacted. I have seen suggestions that he is likely to abandon it after the elections anyway!
Old 21 Apr 22, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
SandLake
Excited about Disney

I seem to have missed something. And I'm not commenting one way or the other.

Currently Reedy Creek Improvement District pay for services like Fire and Ambulance and others, which must cost $$$.

From what I have read if Reedy Creek Improvement District is dissolved this then has to be paid by Orange and Osceola county tax payers

That either means that Disney will hold on to their $$$ or, as I suspect, Orange and Osceola counties will levy a tax on Disney - this is not mentioned in any reports I have read.
SandLake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 22, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SandLake View Post

Currently Reedy Creek Improvement District pay for services like Fire and Ambulance and others, which must cost $$$.

From what I have read if Reedy Creek Improvement District is dissolved this then has to be paid by Orange and Osceola county tax payers

That either means that Disney will hold on to their $$$ or, as I suspect, Orange and Osceola counties will levy a tax on Disney - this is not mentioned in any reports I have read.
Apparently Disney don’t pay taxes on parking charges at the parks and resorts and are even able to claim rebates on any construction works on amenities like roads and the garages at Disney Springs. It was an amazing plan they came up with which gave them an enormous amount of scope to do pretty much as they pleased (including a nuclear power plant that they never got round to building :d)
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 22, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SandLake View Post

I am no expert but do know a little about property tax here. The charge is split up for different services. Reedy Creek is currently exempt from the share for fire services for example because they provide their own. They also provide their own security and pay the sheriff's offices directly for the deputies they actually need. Private hire of police/deputies is actually common here. The county schools even pay for the deputies based at each school.

Reedy Creek DO pay property tax but it would have to increase and the counties would have to provide the services themselves. It is obviously a complicated situation that shouldn't have been rushed through on DeSantis' whim after the normal legislative session had already ended.
Old 21 Apr 22, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Porgie
Excited about Disney

Disney stripped of huge tax breaks in political row as Brits could face pricier tickets

SIGH!
apple.news/ADXH2gZi2RJS85rcTev9w_A
Porgie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 22, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My thinking is both sides should sit down and thrash out a solution as to how to take matters forward.

The meeting should take place on Its A Small World ride and they must stay there until a decision is reached - with the music on.
What music is that?
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 22, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoman88
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Porgie View Post
It actually costs Disney far more to run the Reedy Creek district, if this passes (may have to be voted on by the residents themselves) it will be Orange County taking on the financial costs, which will actually save Disney upwards of $1 billion dollars.

So if anything Disney will have more money if this goes through but I wouldn’t rule out price increases anyway with Paycheck in charge.
Old 21 Apr 22, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Disney stripped of special status

Can’t see this mentioned on the dibb yet. But Disney has been stripped of its special status, effective from 1st June 2023.

“The status gave Disney powers to levy tax, build roads and control utilities on the lands of its theme park.”

bbc/news/world-us-canada-61179262

Will be interesting how it affects Disney going forward.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 22, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My thinking is both sides should sit down and thrash out a solution as to how to take matters forward.

The meeting should take place on Its A Small World ride and they must stay there until a decision is reached - with the music on.

With upcharges for -

A seat on the boat
Drinking water
A cup for the drinking water
Toilet breaks
(Intermittent) Wifi
And an encouraging thumbs up from Mickey every time they pass through the loading bays.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 11:43 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List