Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 22, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
American politics is based on big business endorsement
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 22, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Rizzoface
slightly serious Dibber

They didn't just disagree - they have stated they will actively pursue / campaign to have the Parental Rights bill repealed / abolished. Therefore they have turned political.

I have read the bill. The comparison you are making is, lets face it, way off the mark.

Originally Posted by disneymike View Post
Whatever your political viewpoint do you really want to live in a world where a government punitively pursues a company because they had the audacity to disagree with a policy?

Disney is not 'pushing ideologies or agendas' on guests, they are standing up for a large number of their employees by making a statement against what is, let's face it, a shameful 21st century incarnation of the UK's infamous section 28.
Rizzoface is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 22, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Rizzoface
slightly serious Dibber

yes, this is all about political donations being paused...not.
They have deviated from their lane and actively going to campaign to repeal and bill that was enacted by a democratically elected local government - Disney has no place in doing this and nothing can be said to change that fact. They can voice their opinion, they aren't stopping anyone doing that.

I wont highlight the fact that the major majority of donations go to the democratic candidates and always has done.

Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Disney has been sending political donations for MANY years. Now they’ve finally decided to “keep their mouths shut” as you suggested and have now stopped political funding, it seems De Santis has lost his ****.

Your post literally makes zero sense but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Rizzoface is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 22, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rizzoface
slightly serious Dibber

personally i don't think this will go through completely. There's a 1 year before anything changes and no doubt this is negotiated further down the line with Disney keeping most of their privileges.

Absolutely no way Disney move out of Florida.

Originally Posted by Rocking Ewok View Post
I would disagree, wouldn’t say they are pushing an agenda and also wouldn’t say this was inevitable if you speak out.

Incredibly short sighted in revoking the status. It’s going to have a huge impact on the area. Disney might not even feel the impact as much as is expected. Potentially they get rid of things they don’t want or need that they pay for and have the upkeep.
But they have enough clout to still push things through, though perhaps take a bit longer such as new resorts or redevelopment. Let’s face it they are a massive employer in the area and one of the reasons for bringing people to the area.

I heard on the news yesterday that things like the firefighters would be merged with the existing services but those who remain will lose their length of service. Which is quite a big thing for the firefighters but not so much Disney.
Old 25 Apr 22, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
disneymike
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Rizzoface View Post
I have read the bill. The comparison you are making is, lets face it, way off the mark.
You're of course entitled to your opinion and have put it more respectfully than some (who've now had their posts removed I see), but I fail to see how you reach this conclusion. It mirrors section 28 it its 'intentional vagueness'. It uses 'instruction' in place of where section 28 used 'promotion' to try to blanket criminalise lots of innocuous mentions of LGBT+ people's lives...
disneymike is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 22, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
- Projects will likely be intentionally blocked by red tape making it more difficult to deliver guest services like new attractions, hotels, etc.
What this will mean is that Disney will be now be subject to the same 'rules' as Universal is.

Regarding your point about it being more difficult to deliver guest services like new attractions and hotels, it doesn't seem to have affected Universal's ability to provide new attractions, hotels and even a new theme park. And Universal usually manages to do these things quicker and with less fuss than Disney does.

Considering how long it takes Disney to build a new ride without all the usual red tape, god help us if Disney now has to face all the usual bureaucracy that other theme park companies have to go through.

My prediction for the average guest visiting WDW: prices will go up. Mind you, they'll go up whether this goes through or not so I think I'm onto a safe bet there.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 22, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Rizzoface
slightly serious Dibber

You are of course also entitled to your opinion. I dont know why i wouldnt be respectful - i have conviction but im not rude. Different opinions dont make one a bad person.

Anyway, we are talking about children here mike. They have not developed between the ages 5-8 and when it comes to children I will take any law that protects them from any sort of gender, sexual orientation or anything else that is inappropriate at that age. if the parents want to teach that let them do it in their own homes.

If my kids at that age were being taught these things or being discussed in the classroom without my knowledge or consent i would hit the roof.
Frankly, im very disturbed that anyone is happy with the sexualisation of 5-8 year olds by teachers. ive seen things that make my skin crawl i tell you.

When they're developed they can do what they want. I support any adults / young adults right to be who they want to be - my question is then: to what extent do i have to participate in your/their self image.

Good day to you.

Originally Posted by disneymike View Post
You're of course entitled to your opinion and have put it more respectfully than some (who've now had their posts removed I see), but I fail to see how you reach this conclusion. It mirrors section 28 it its 'intentional vagueness'. It uses 'instruction' in place of where section 28 used 'promotion' to try to blanket criminalise lots of innocuous mentions of LGBT+ people's lives...
Old 25 Apr 22, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymike
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I will take any law that protects them from any sort of gender, sexual orientation or anything else that is inappropriate at that age. if the parents want to teach that let them do it in their own homes.
I touched on this in my reply to one of the extremely hateful posts which was removed, I take it you didn't catch those before they were gone why is why I mentioned the respectful nature of this back and forth...I didn't aim to initiate some kind of pile on directed at you (it's happened to me on other threads when I've had a differing opinion to the flow!)

To your last point there seems to be an issue for some of separating just the existence of LGBT+ people and 'sexualisation'. Arguing that children are too young to be taught about/discussing sexual matters regardless of gender/orientation/identity is an extremely valid argument, and if the bill specifically did that I don't think there would be an issue.

The issue for me arises when you starting treating the simple existence of certain groups of people as 'age inappropriate'. If a teacher casually mentioning his wife is fine, but casually mentioning his husband is criminalised, that's no longer protecting children, it's just bigoted.

Now you may be say from your interpretation the bill doesn't do that. My interpretation is they've cynically left it 'open' enough that it has the potential to be applied in that way, and that appears to be a a calculated decision because they could rectify it quite easily and really make clearer it relates to 'sexual' topics if they wanted to.

Edited at 04:03 PM.
disneymike is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 22, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
They have not developed between the ages 5-8 and when it comes to children I will take any law that protects them from any sort of gender, sexual orientation or anything else that is inappropriate at that age.
So that means protecting them from any sexual orientation? Including being straight? That means any mention of "husband and wife" or "mother and father / mom and pop" should not be allowed? Because that implies a sexual orientation.

Same with "any sort of gender"? Any? So that means not mentioning anything to do with "boys" or "girls". It means not calling little Jane a "girl".

It would mean changing a lot of current educational material that does mention binary gender and straight sexual orientation.

Also what do you deem "inappropriate"? I agree that discussing sexual acts would be inappropriate but I would assume that's already covered by existing laws and legislation. I assume the current laws and standards in Florida already restrict the teaching of sexual education to those over a certain age. So there doesn't need to be any further restrictions.

Or do you mean it's inappropriate to be gay or lesbian but appropriate to be straight?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:19 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 22, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rizzoface
slightly serious Dibber

100% bigoted - of course it is. Or they could say partner which is far easier for children at that age surely? But as you've already pointed out it doesnt really say that but have mentioned its been left "open" - i didnt really see that when reading it but comes down to interpretation for that part and could be closed with better wording if it were warranted.
let me be clear - its the age group im defending here and right of the parent to not want their kids to learn about this..YET.

Im afraid i didnt see any other replies mike so couldn't comment on anything else.

If a teacher casually mentioning his wife is fine, but casually mentioning his husband is criminalised, that's no longer protecting children, it's just bigoted