Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 May 22, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Eldest (21) just graduating has paid for his flight and universal ticket , youngest at college paid for his universal ticket . Both work part time . I agree with Jlh , all depends on the kids , whether they wish to contribute and wealth . Ours insisted they paid and helped out .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
All my lot have decided to come to Greece this year , I paid for villa and car hire and they have paid for their flights and will cover their spends. They wanted to pay for it and to be honest everyone one of them including my youngest at 19 earns more than I do. It was their choice to tag along and to get 8 days in Greece for around £400 is not a bad deal ( with a chauffeur thrown in 😀 ).
It’s one of those topics on here that is entirely dependent on individual circumstances and wealth . I know if I had to pay for all 7 of us to go ( girlfriends coming too ) I wouldn’t be going away .
My son’s girlfriend is coming with us next week and she’s paid her share of everything and she wouldn’t have it any other way .She rarely even lets us buy her a meal .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

No but I would expect them to save for spending money . Would treat them to a couple of bits like clothes or some new converse etc.

Edited at 07:30 PM.
Tinks2014 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

No, we wouldn't expect him to pay towards the family holiday, but maybe buy the odd ice cream or round of drinks - as he would if he were out with his mates.

My son is 18, 19 this summer and works PT (£70 a week) and studies. We also still pay his phone and £50pm allowance. Also paid his Uni fees and travel to Uni. He's finished for four months and so hopes to up his hours.
As long as be saves 25% of his salary and doesn't touch it, then we are happy for him to enjoy himself with the rest of the money.

He's just paid for five days away with his mates in June and is covering his own food and expenses too. But he's lost a lot of weight recently and he needs some new clothes for holiday which we will get for him - nothing flash, just basics. So its about compromise, and him not taking any financial assistance for granted.

But I think the key to this kind of thing is a good adult conversation over a cup of tea and a slice of cake. We make him aware of what a holiday costs and that whilst we are happy to pay for it, as its a family holiday, and he needs to continue to get good grades at Uni, work part time and do his jobs at home, then at least for the next year that's fine. But I think by the time he's finished Uni we will probably ask him to pay a chunk towards the family holiday, presuming he wants to come on it.

Edited at 07:53 PM.
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

We are taking our nephew this year, and he’s paid a small amount towards his park tickets but we covered it and we are covering the rest for him, air boat ride, dolphin swim Disney universal seaworld flights, dinner etc
Told him he’d need his own spends for clothes trainers etc
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We never took anything from our two and did cover all their costs apart from any souvenirs they wanted and anything else that if living at home they would pay for themselves. It worked out for the best as they were able to purchase property when they married and not come back to live with us.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
No we wouldn’t expect our son or daughter to pay anything on a family holiday. They are both working full time and we are just back from a week in Croatia and we paid for everything as we invited them to join us.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DD just paid her own spends until she was working full time.
Lola is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

My son is 18 in June and we go away August to Spain and we have paid for everything although if he wants to go shopping that is on him!

We will pay for his food as well but suspect he will offer to buy the odd thing but we won’t ask.
Sunnydays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Just to add to what I said earlier - I have an almost 18yo daughter who will be going to uni in September, and a 16yo son who's currently doing his GCSEs. We pay in full for them to come, and they will only have minimal spending money of their own. They're still in education so it was never a question, whereas eldest son has been working full time since he was 18
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List