Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 May 22, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Nimbus. I agree ref your cost analysis. However what you are failing to address is how expensive it is here now. How poor ride maintenance is. How badly Genie+ has impacted the customer experience and finally how dire and rude some of the new Cast Members are.

This is our third visit this year and it’s getting worse month on month. I skirt around it as give me a sun lounger and I’m happy. Loads aren’t

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:27 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Nimbus. I agree ref your cost analysis. However what you are failing to address is how expensive it is here now. How poor ride maintenance is. How badly Genie+ has impacted the customer experience and finally how dire and rude some of the new Cast Members are.

This is our third visit this year and it’s getting worse month on month. I skirt around it as give me a sun lounger and I’m happy. Loads aren’t
At least you’re saving on gas & electric while you are away Tom
Every cloud & all that
Hope you’re not too hot out there 😎🥵

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Just about warm enough for us but another 5 degrees would be better.

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Just about warm enough for us but another 5 degrees would be better.

Please send some heat to Sheffield area - it has not been anything like that warm today (unfortunately)
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2

Oh, I don’t disagree with you that some people have had those complaints you mention. And some people have said they’ve had a great time, have found Genie+ was good, and CMs were as good as always. I bet you more people have enjoyed themselves and will go back again than those who have hated it and won’t be back for a long time.

Anyway, this thread isn't about all those things. This thread is about the DM article saying that the typical cost to visit Disney for 5 days is nearly $8500, that there is a “lack of cheaper options” and a trip to WDW is now only for the upper class. Which is utter rubbish.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Ok, so doing a quick check online at prices and seeing whether there were any cheaper options (the Daily Mail thinks there aren’t any). Here’s a more realistic cost of how much it would be for a family of 4 to stay onsite at the end of June (school holiday time in the USA so not a cheap period):

Transport to/from airport in an Uber XL = $80
5-night package at All-Stars, 5-day ticket, 5 days of Genie+ = $3340
Food = $950
Souvenirs = $200

Total = $4570

That’s nearly $4K less than the Daily Mail thinks the minimum it would cost and is for a 5 night stay, not 4 nights. And that’s not including the option to stay offsite which could make it a little cheaper.

Yes, it’s more expensive than it used to be. Absolutely no one is debating that. But it’s not a trip that only the upper class can afford.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Oh, I don’t disagree with you that some people have had those complaints you mention. And some people have said they’ve had a great time, have found Genie+ was good, and CMs were as good as always. I bet you more people have enjoyed themselves and will go back again than those who have hated it and won’t be back for a long time.

Anyway, this thread isn't about all those things. This thread is about the DM article saying that the typical cost to visit Disney for 5 days is nearly $8500, that there is a “lack of cheaper options” and a trip to WDW is now only for the upper class. Which is utter rubbish.
I may have missed it but didn't see the word "typical"

It's no good putting your head in the sand. The numbers quoted are all there for everyone to see.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gally1968
Apprentice Imagineer

There’s no doubt the report took costs to extremes but to be fair $4.5k for 5 nights in very basic accommodation with poor housekeeping & parks that are rammed doesn’t appear to be good value for Americans.

We’ll decide for ourselves next month but our gut feeling is the need to have to start booking rides at 7am isn’t a great start but we’ll see how it goes.

One point I’d also disagree on is that in my view there are more negative than positive views coming back. Closing in on roughly 30 trips but if all we end up doing is 2 uncomfortable hours in the park then sat at the pool we’ll be looking elsewhere.
Old 24 May 22, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Ok, so doing a quick check online at prices and seeing whether there were any cheaper options (the Daily Mail thinks there aren’t any). Here’s a more realistic cost of how much it would be for a family of 4 to stay onsite at the end of June (school holiday time in the USA so not a cheap period):

Transport to/from airport in an Uber XL = $80
5-night package at All-Stars, 5-day ticket, 5 days of Genie+ = $3340
Food = $950
Souvenirs = $200

Total = $4570

That’s nearly $4K less than the Daily Mail thinks the minimum it would cost and is for a 5 night stay, not 4 nights. And that’s not including the option to stay offsite which could make it a little cheaper.

Yes, it’s more expensive than it used to be. Absolutely no one is debating that. But it’s not a trip that only the upper class can afford.
Far be it for me to defend the Daily Mail, bit I can't see where they say there aren't cheaper options. In fact they quote the value accommodation as being over $200 a night.

They've picked up on the Fox article and a more extreme example of costs for the clicks obviously.
Loftus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
People need to check out the number of DVC Owners selling up. They are allegedly Disneys most valuable Guests (their words not mine)
When they are losing these people there is a problem and it’s no good burying your head in the sand.