Thrillin',Chillin',Feet are Killin' Day 5: Cake'n'Steak, Shops, Tops and Strops

Sunday 23 August - the day before is here

Today is Andy’s birthday

Which means for the next 10 weeks he is the same age as me

And then I am the older one again

What it is to have a toyboy in your life

He opens up his cards which contain $$$$$ - I guess that means some shopping eh

And gets lots of messages on Facebook which is really nice

The only plan for today is that the boys are off to DisneyQuest and we will be going to dinner at Longhorns.

Everything else is up for grabs

As DQ doesn’t open until 1130 ( omg, that’s like a whole day lost in park terms isn’t it , why so late ?) we are not in a rush for breakfast.

There is some debate about where to go

The boys are not bothered

It could be Perkins or Bob Evans

Or Ponderosa

Or Dennys

Or blimmin anywhere quite frankly

But Ponderosa wins

It is pointed out to me that there is some irony in it being Andy’s birthday and yet it ends up being my choice of venue.

It’s the one at 7598 W Irlo Bronson Highway

Ok , its not everyone's cup of tea and hey we drink coffee anyway.

This was about nostalgia.

On our ( mildly disastrous) 1st ever trip in 2010 with the whole family we had been told about Ponderosa and the blue jelly for breakfast. So this was the first place that we ever visited on our American Adventure.

We decided to return, just for the blue jelly.

Of course you pay as you enter. It was busy . There was a queue.

We had 4 x $6.99 breakfasts, 2 x Mountain Dews ($4.98) and 2 coffees (($4.58). A grand total of $40.15 and we did leave a $10 tip - our server was lovely and boy did she work hard.

Only after paying and surveying the serving stations did we establish there was in fact no blue jelly

So thats Ponderosa right off the list for good.

It was busy so there seemed a ridiculous queue for the servery with the sausages and bacon - we opted for the other side first. Where else can you have bread pudding and custard on the same plate as biscuits and gravy - ewwww

I checked out dessert first but in the end didnt sample any – it looked like lots of bundt style cakes in various flavours.

Buffets never make for the best presented plates and these were a bit feeble.

This was corned beef hash, beans, assorted meats and hash browns. It was Andys and he wasnt impressed when we likened the hash to something the dogs would sick up in the garden

I was all virtuous

Nah not really

I then went back for the pancakes and choc chip buns alongside these odd potato chip/crisp things with bacon. It was quite nice

The kids had troughed most of theirs before I got back with mine so only Jamie's left.

I didnt get any servery pics - but there was a central station of the fruits, cereals and salad items - and plenty of it.

One of the hot serverys had the main meats with biscuits, waffles , fruit cobbler and custard ( breakfast staples obviously) and the other one had the egg station, pancakes, rolls, potatoes etc

It was chaotic and compared to our $42 Perkins meals, not exactly much cheaper - which is strange as we always had in our heads it was a really cheap place - but in reality, it isnt.

Unless you go back LOTS of times for seconds and thirds - which because we are lightweights, we didnt.

So not good, not bad, a bit in the middle.

Have to say it was exceptionally clean, service was fast and the loos were also very clean and tidy.

We left a good tip , our server was working incredibly hard and was really lovely.

I am undecided on buffet breakfasts – I walk away feeling full to the point of being a bit sick but feel hungry again a few hours later – maybe the weird combos make you hungrier quicker !

Just after 11 we find ourselves here

Its early enough in the day for the traffic to be ok. There sure is a lot of construction going on – its cone city and we are temporarily confused by the parking instructions

Ok ,Andy says to point out that he wasn’t confused at all – It was me that insisted he swop lanes at the last minute which meant we ended up in a CM only area …

So he drops me and the boys and looks for somewhere to park –

which there isn’t so he says he just goes round and round till we get back, not attracting the attention of the security guard in any way, oops.

I set off with the boys to get their tickets and despatch them inside

As they want to come a couple of times , I was disappointed to learn that they no longer sell APs due to the closure in January – at an entry cost of $46 each, AP s would pay for themselves after 2 visits.

The boys are very happy to spend the day here – gaming themselves silly – the old fashioned way.

We arrange to pick them up at 4.30. they have the tracfone so if we change times we can notify them.

Not that they will see or hear the phone of course.

We will miss DQ as a family – it’s a shame to see it go.

But for us, Where else but the outlets as the $$$ are crying out to be spent……

Edited at 01:01 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 15, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

It was a very successful trip !

We started at the Marketplace outlets and picked up some tops for Nick who didn’t join us this year and we felt bad he had missed out – as he is just starting college and needs a new assortment of clothes we got him so fab polo tops from CK and US Polo Assn

Total spend in US Polo was $37 – for 4 Polo Shirts ! They had been $17.49 with $10 then discounted and one was $19.99 with $7 discounted.

CK polos were $13 each – come on people, these are virtually being given away !

I got these lovely floaty chiffon tops – the pics don’t do them justice, the pale blue one is just gorgeous - these were just $15 each

So our total CK spend for 3 polos and 2 tops for me was $71.

Remember these are clearance stores so the items were already discounted and then on the day we went had an extra discount applied.

There were racks and racks of CK handbags – all in orange, red or peach. And I was almost tempted but I have lots of bags already in those colours and for once I had my sensible handbag head on

We got a couple of “today only “ vouchers from CK – one of which was for Tommy Hilfiger for $5

So we nipped over to the Premium outlets and picked up the bargain of the holiday

This had been $17.95 but had 70% off, so $5.95

Yep, with the $5 voucher , it cost us a princely 95c – kerching !

Across to Lacoste where we got some more tops for Nick and one for Andy

I cant find the receipt for these though. I am sure they were a bargain – we wouldn’t buy them if not !

All shopped out and very pleased with our haul we make our way back to DTD to collect the boys.

We found a space easily enough – it was around 4pm now on a Sunday afternoon – lovely walk from the car park to DQ

As we are a little early, we stop for a drink in House of Blues.

I just love looking at all the artwork in here

This just reminds me of one of our dogs for some reason !

The boys came out dead on time and best of all – had one of these for me

Look, its humungous

Red Velvet Cheesecake cupcake – nom nom nom

Although my enjoyment was overshadowed a little by the argument that lasted from DQ into the car and all the way home about who actually paid for the cake, whether it came from the money we had given them for lunch or whether they had , the horror, actually had to spend $5 of their own money , and who exactly had remembered or forgotten to get it in the first place.

Jeez, Lets hope we never have to ask them to get anything important then !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 15, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

As they had eaten a late lunch they weren’t keen on an early dinner so we just chilled at home for a few hours before deciding to venture out for dinner at Longhorn’s at Orange Lake.

This was busier than we have experienced before

With a 30 minute wait

That felt like 3000 minutes

How can a pager become an instrument of tedious torture?:angry:

When its handed to one child and the other thinks he should have it

And goes on

And on

And on

And some pushing and shoving occurs

And you are on high bar stools and the chances of someone coming off are quite high

And then Andy says he doesn’t feel so good

All going really well then.

We are finally buzzed and we have a server comedy moment :

“ do you want child’s menu” ( my sons are bigger than I am so who is she referring to ?)

“ no, wait, you have facial hair, of course not”

I do presume she means the boys and not me at this point !

I did mention it was himself's birthday and asked if they could sing to him (unfortunately they forgot- which is just as well as when they came out to sing to the table near us, Andy said, I do hope you havent arranged something like that for me ... )

I had a lush strawberry daiquiri, the boys had cokes and Andy had a beer.

The lovely warm honey wheat bread soon arrived and was devoured so we had a second loaf as well.

I had a caesar salad - I don’t know, they just taste so much better over here.

Connor had a half rack of ribs, loaded potato (oh the horror, more sour cream !) and fries

Jamie had a chicken burger and fries

Andy had a full rack with mash and fries

I had the Filet with loaded potato - oh my , it was lush

It was a lovely meal. We were so stuffed we couldn’t manage dessert which was a shame.

Just short of $88 for the meal and drinks. We left $17 as a tip.

Feeling very full , we waddled back to the car and the short trip home – we sat out for a bit with a nightcap and agreed what we would do tomorrow.

This is key

We AGREED what we would do tomorrow

Shame that holiday memory loss kicked in the next day …

Total Spend for today

$50 Ponderosa ( inc tip)
$71 Calvin Klein
$37 US Polo Assn
? Lacoste ( no receipt )
$96 DisneyQuest Tickets
$105 Longhorn's (inc tip)

and of course

95c Tommy Hilfiger

the next day is here

Edited at 07:56 PM.
Old 27 Sep 15, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Cupcake looks lush!
Old 27 Sep 15, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Your boys sound just like mine lol
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 15, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Food looks great except Ponderosa! I just can't do that place! Glad you had a good day shopping and Andy had a good birthday. Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 15, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Great bargains.
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 15, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
The Hulk
Imagineer

Another great day,95c now that is a bargain! Never been to marketplace outlets,sounds like some great deals to be had. Pencilled in a visit next month
Las Vegas Oct 14/Jul 16/June 17/Sep 18/May 19
USA east-west June 16
The Hulk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 15, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
Cupcake looks lush!
It was but so rich it took me two days to eat it

Originally Posted by Lagerlegs View Post
Your boys sound just like mine lol
Gotta love 'em

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
Food looks great except Ponderosa! I just can't do that place! Glad you had a good day shopping and Andy had a good birthday. Pussycat
Hello - I dont think we will go back again now either , just not for us anymore . It was a good day.

Originally Posted by Milner View Post
Great bargains.
didnt we do well !

Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
Another great day,95c now that is a bargain! Never been to marketplace outlets,sounds like some great deals to be had. Pencilled in a visit next month
Need to have a rummaging head on there but deffo worked for us and that 95c tee is going to take some beating I think
Old 27 Sep 15, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Dogwalker
VIP Dibber

Wow, that's some serious bargains you got there!
Great day 😀
Dogwalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List