Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Aug 17, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
twinkly-tink
VIP Dibber

twinkly-tink's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile The worst day...

My dad (pops!) Has been in and out of hospital since the start of the year and today we have had teh confirmation pops has cancer in the lining of his lung.

We were told at end of June that they were worried that he had this...so needed a further biospy and that resulted in consultant telling us categorically no lung cancer but concern it was somewhere and he needed further tests.

PET scan was done and his results showed hotspot back in his lungs so further biospy and the results we've had today are it's definitely in lining if his lung and possibly in his spine... there is no cure just chemo.

I am beside myself. It's almost 11 years (on 16th) since we lost mum to ovarian cancer and not sure I can do this all again. My brother and sister are being so level headed but I am a mess- and I'm the eldest so feel like I should be in control.

We are waiting an appointment at Weston park in Sheffield so will know more once we see the oncologist but I can't help but feel all our planning for November needs to go on hold.

To make matters worse I am not local to pops and live 100miles.away.

I really don't know what to do next...

I just needed to write this down as not sure what else to do at the moment

Old 4 Aug 17, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Take a deep breath and don't plan or unplanned anything just yet. Give yourself time to get your head around this very distressing news.

You won't be able to think straight right now so don't even try to. Xxxxxx hugs for you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 02:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Big ((hugs)) to you - it is a lot to take in. One day at a time.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Been there, feel your pain. I think FairyNuff is right - don't make any plans or decisions right now. You need to accept and adjust your mind set and you won't be able to do that until you're ready.

Do you have a partner. siblings or good friend that can be with you?

Come back to your Dibb family when you need to xxxx
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
mackem
Apprentice Imagineer

Huge hugs to you. As others have said, please don't have any expectations and just take it one day and one task at a time.

My advice is that life is precious and none of us know how much time we have left so spend as much time as you can with your Pops and make sure he knows just how much he means to you. Make happy memories if you can and just be there for him. I appreciate this will be difficult being 100 miles away but please try and make that time. You will be glad you did should anything happen.

Sending lots of love to you at this difficult time and praying for some positive news for you. xxxx
Old 4 Aug 17, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
so sorry to hear your news, it's understandable that you're all over the place at the moment and you will be until you have this next appointment and know exactly what you are dealing with and can ask questions.

I think you need to wait until you know more before you decide what to do about your November trip. It's hard being so far away but just try to spend as much time as you can with your dad
Old 4 Aug 17, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

So sorry to hear your news. Went through very similar with my beloved step dad a couple of years back. Got myself through it by telling myself each day that he was still with us and refusing to spend the time we had left with him sad, upset and worried. I refused to let cancer define who he was to us. If course i still had my moments but it did really help me feel that I squeezed every ounce of joy out of an awful situation whilst we still had him.

Sending you hugs and pixie dust.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
twinkly-tink
VIP Dibber

twinkly-tink's Reviews
Thanks all for the kind words and advice.

I think we need to get this next appt and see where we're at. Pops is actually well at the moment, which I think at times makes it harder (if that makes sense).

By sister and brother are both up in Sheffield so he isn't in his own and I have a great DH -even if he is a man of few words -just like pops! And close friends here in Dudley (one of which has said she's getting her big girl pants on and will get me through this! )

I am definitely a glass half empty girl which doesn't help in situations like this. But I like what you say Mskitty - I'm not going to let cancer define who he is.

It's at times like these you realise how great the DIBB family is. Thanks all.

Edited at 08:55 AM.
twinkly-tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
twinkly-tink
VIP Dibber

twinkly-tink's Reviews
Mobile

Well looks like we'll see what's going on sooner rather than later. Appt with oncologist Monday 9.30 in clinical trials department.