Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jul 18, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
You’d better not book with any other airline either. They all can, and sometimes will, do it.
Its standard airline practice.

No reason not to book again at sometime with TC

But as others say, when going DIY best check terms on your hotel and car hire, ensuring cancellation clauses.
I realise that it’s too late for this one but please bare in mind for your next trip
There have been threads like this on here for pretty much every airline. They all operate the same model and wont think twice about cancelling or moving flights if it suits them.
And good advice to always book car and hotels that you can cancel when doing DIY. And insurance that covers this type of event.

I hope the OP gets something sorted soon.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mackem
Apprentice Imagineer

*UPDATE - I just thought I would update you all, Following the thread above and our TC flights being cancelled we managed to rebook for the same dates with British Airways MAN - LAX via Heathrow going out and Virgin direct back LAX - MAN. (from May 25th next year Virgin are flying direct from MAN to LAX) These flights worked out at an additional cost of £249 per person vs the original flight price with TC. I contacted TC who at first said there was nothing they could do and it was up to us to pay the extra cost. I then emailed the CEO of Thomas Cook Airlines who agreed to reimburse the additional cost for us. Apparently this is not advertised when any airline cancels a flight but as long as it is a European airline the EU261 law states an alternative flight must be offered or the difference paid. In this case TC refunded our original flight cost plus the additional £249 per person to re book with BA & Virgin. If you don't ask for it thought it won't be offered.
Old 19 Aug 18, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mackem View Post
*UPDATE - I just thought I would update you all, Following the thread above and our TC flights being cancelled we managed to rebook for the same dates with British Airways MAN - LAX via Heathrow going out and Virgin direct back LAX - MAN. (from May 25th next year Virgin are flying direct from MAN to LAX) These flights worked out at an additional cost of £249 per person vs the original flight price with TC. I contacted TC who at first said there was nothing they could do and it was up to us to pay the extra cost. I then emailed the CEO of Thomas Cook Airlines who agreed to reimburse the additional cost for us. Apparently this is not advertised when any airline cancels a flight but as long as it is a European airline the EU261 law states an alternative flight must be offered or the difference paid. In this case TC refunded our original flight cost plus the additional £249 per person to re book with BA & Virgin. If you don't ask for it thought it won't be offered.
I have just e mailed the CEO thanks to your update.I will let you know how it goes.
Old 19 Aug 18, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Only just seen this! So glad you got the additional cost reimburs by TC. Thanks for letting us know the protocol, very good to know
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Well done you! 👍🏻
Old 21 Aug 18, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
mackem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
I have just e mailed the CEO thanks to your update.I will let you know how it goes.
Fingers crossed - Hope it works out. My friend who is travelling with us said she would have just accepted it and paid out more money to book elsewhere which is exactly what TC are hoping people do. Just quote the EU261 regulation - this states they have to offer an alternative flight (even if it is with another airline) or reimburse you for the the difference if you find another flight. Good Luck xx
Old 31 Aug 18, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Well despite 2 e mails to CEO office,no joy.Just a big standard apology saying Eu261 does not apply.Cant believe they think it acceptable just to refund my money...what if this had happened a month before we were due to fly ? Awful customer service!