Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Mar 21, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi great trip to plan .
First of if you can get away on say a Friday and return the Sunday the extra 2 days would make a massive difference.
Example fly to Vegas for 3 n and incorporate a trip to canyon.
Drive via Death Valley 1 n to Yosemite for minimum 2 n.really need 3 as you’ll arrive midday which then gives you 2 full days before you leave .
3.5 drive to San Fran 3 n
Drive to Monterey 1.5 hours 2 n. A must do is whale watching
Then down to LA long day or do 1 stop at Santa Barbara
Hope this gives some food for thought.
Ps Airbnb we used a lot. San Fran Disney museum
Ask anything , you know we all can help
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
If anyone is interested in wildlife, a trip to Monterey/Moss Landing is amazing for whales, sea otters, sea lions and seals.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

For such a special family trip I would be pushing it as deep into 2021 as you can or preferably 2022. The West Coast/California is absolutely amazing and it's my all time favourite holiday destination. As we've been before we'll patch together an enjoyable trip if we are allowed in this summer but for first timers with teens who are likely doing a once in a lifetime family trip it's too far and too expensive to be working around restrictions imo.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
If anyone is interested in wildlife, a trip to Monterey/Moss Landing is amazing for whales, sea otters, sea lions and seals.
We have gone twice with sanctuary cruises and on first occasion 11 humpbacks 3 of which where feeding on fish ball and an other breaching but this was from about 4/500 yards . Just one of the best things we have ever done
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Other place to mention elephant seal beach at San Simeon, all we missed was David Attenborough
Old 23 Mar 21, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I absolutely love California, but don’t really view it as a theme park vacation because there are so many alternatives. (Others would disagree, but let’s be honest, if you like Theme Parks, then Orlando takes some beating.. in any case, many Orlando rides are merely duplicated in California).
San Francisco has to be 3 nights to take in the first on arrival. That gives you 2 full days.
Alcatraz has to be worth most of one
Dylan’s ultimate cycle tour tour has to be another one, taking in a cycle along the front, over the bridge and down to Sausalito before a minibus drive through Marin, up to Muir Woods then back over the bridge.
Between that you have Lombard street zigzags, cable cars and many other things to do.
Driving to Monterey and settling in takes a full day and that night. Next day, a whale trip and a maybe the aquarium fills it, so two nights here.
Then you have the astonishing drive down the PCH, probably stopping half way at Madonna Inn or Pismo beach. You might want to stop at Hearst Castle on the way.
Many stop at Solvang as well and by then you have already used up 7 nights.

The next snag for us is that we fell in love with San Diego. That is worth 5 days easily on its own.

I haven’t even mentioned Knotts farm, 6 flags, Warner bros studios, Disney or Univeral.
Neither have I mentioned a night on the Queen Mary, Brea tear pits, Hollywood walk of fame, Griffiths observatory, Reagan Library, Santa Monica, A Hollywood tour, USS Iowa...

When we vacation, we absolutely hammer it, but having said that, with an initial vacation of 14 days, I wouldn’t even leave the Coast! I would save that for another vacation.

You will find my California trip report in my signature. It may give you ideas (or not).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:27 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List