Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Apr 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
You are so kind and thoughtful but I do think your parents could be doing this for themselves.

We are not as old as your parents but I would not expect my kids to be sourcing things for me to do. I do understand the frustrations but they have plenty of life experience maybe just a conversation with them about what they would like to do would work.

Could they volunteer, go out walking, get some bedding plants for the garden, decorate, start knitting, crouchet, take up painting or other handicraft, create a shed space for DIY?

I feel very sad when the belief seems to be that when older you need jigsaw puzzles! Though I accept some people lobe them before I am shot in the head!
Thanks for you judgement. Mum and dad haven’t asked for anything. I can tell by their comments and tone that they are just stuck in a rut and I wanted to send something to cheer them up a bit. They have both had health scares recently, mum had an op last week so can’t do much at the moment and dad has been in hospital too with heart problems so not that fit and healthy at the moment. Mum has been terrified to even go out for the last year. They both already garden, mum does craft stuff, I was just trying to find something a bit different that I haven’t thought of and they actually like jigsaws!
fizzypop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
Thanks for you judgement. Mum and dad haven’t asked for anything. I can tell by their comments and tone that they are just stuck in a rut and I wanted to send something to cheer them up a bit. They have both had health scares recently, mum had an op last week so can’t do much at the moment and dad has been in hospital too with heart problems so not that fit and healthy at the moment. Mum has been terrified to even go out for the last year. They both already garden, mum does craft stuff, I was just trying to find something a bit different that I haven’t thought of and they actually like jigsaws!
I apologise if you believe this was judgemental, it was not supposed to be. I am sorry to hear you Mumand Dad have been unwell. All I was trying to do is point out that there is more to life than jigsaws even if you enjoy them.

Please accept my apology if this has upset you. Sorry.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
Do they like travelling? A virtual tour might be fun.

heygo/

There are also loads of streamed theatre productions if they would enjoy that?
My friend is a tour guide and just started doing live tours on here (just this week changed the name from Virtual Trips to Hey Go.) He’s mainly doing Birmingham, Stratford, Warwick, Cotswolds and Nottingham (originally from Nottingham.)

My DH took in one of the Nottingham ones he did, and thought it was brilliant.

These are Nottingham and Birmingham ones he’s got coming up
heygo/locations/nottingham
heygo/locations/birmingham
2026 - maybe...

Edited at 12:49 PM.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bolto6 View Post
My friend is a tour guide and just started doing live tours on here (just this week changed the name from Virtual Trips to Hey Go.) He’s mainly doing Birmingham, Stratford, Warwick, Cotswolds and Nottingham (originally from Nottingham.)

My DH took in one of the Nottingham ones he did, and thought it was brilliant.

These are Nottingham and Birmingham ones he’s got coming up
heygo/locations/nottingham
heygo/locations/birmingham
A former colleague just started working there this week, I’d never heard of them until he was telling me where he was off to. It looks like there are some fantastic “trips”
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Book them a few days away maybe ?
Change of scenery
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi do they have bird table. Bird table feeders , binoculars and bird guide book. Over the last year we’ve spent lots of time watching birds and realised that it was a good idea to get some for my wife’s parents. They sit quite a lot in their kitchen and we put the feeders close to the back door and they can see the birds coming and going
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List