Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Apr 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Spot on KarenG. On arrival, we are dumping our car at McCarran and then must get to out hotel, hence our liking for the South end of the strip (NYNY and as a replacement, the Luxor). We will be flying out of McCarran at 2100 after spending 2 nights in the Hotel, thus it again desirably to be at that end of the strip.
Remember also that I am very much an Aviation fanatic in addition to anything else. I should get a view of the very secretive 737s that fly out to Area51 every day. They appear in some Luxor photographs.

ITINERARY.
We arrive late afternoon and into the evening, sunset around 1800, We want to see the Bellagio fountains and some of the strip that evening before bed. There are plenty of restaurants in the area. We wanted to visit Hooters, but it is now gone. Johnny Rockets is either very close to or part of the Luxor. We like Johnny Rocket.
Next day, it is an all day stroll up the strip , maybe a few lobbies and a good look around including the pawn stars shop before arriving late afternoon at the Heartattack Grill for the ultimate challenge (and punishment). Taxi or Uber home.
Next day, we have until late afternoon as our flight is at 2100.

As can be seen, one end of the strip, preferably the airport end suits our purposes extremely well as we intend walking end to end then transport back. If we were in the middle, then it would be head North one day, south the next.. plus the returns.
Thats ok as long as you know. I am guessing Uber/Lyft from the airport. You are probably talking the same price and driving distance to either NYNY or Luxor. Dont forget the conservatory at Bellagio while you are up there. Well worth a look. Hope your whole trip is amazing. We are hoping to tag SF on to our December trip. Fingers crossed.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Thats ok as long as you know. I am guessing Uber/Lyft from the airport. You are probably talking the same price and driving distance to either NYNY or Luxor. Dont forget the conservatory at Bellagio while you are up there. Well worth a look. Hope your whole trip is amazing. We are hoping to tag SF on to our December trip. Fingers crossed.
We will do that. My research of Las Vegas is as yet incomplete as I didn’t want to delve too deep with all the uncertainty around. Now I truthfully believe that I am going, things are different.

Vegas, is actually a ‘bolt on’.

Our March 2020 trip was SFO, south down as far as San Luis Obispo and then fly up to Seattle. Pick up a car, then drive to Vancouver for a reunion with an old Army friend before flying home. Cancelled.

Our Aug 2020 was SFO then down as far as Hollywood for Universal and Warner Bros, drive out to Tucson, Pima museum, Tombstone for the day and then fly home. Cancelled.

This August is as in the pretrip in my signature... SFO, drive Monterey, Big Sur, Madonna Inn, Pismo, Solvang, Hollywood (for Universal and Warner bros, fly Burbank to Tucson then Pima Museum, Tucson, Tombstone for the day, through Winslow (as in the Take it easy, Eagles song) on the way to Grand Canyon, Hoover dam... Vegas in order to fly home. .. as I said, ‘a bolt on’ at the end.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:16 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We will do that. My research of Las Vegas is as yet incomplete as I didn’t want to delve too deep with all the uncertainty around. Now I truthfully believe that I am going, things are different.

Vegas, is actually a ‘bolt on’.

Our March 2020 trip was SFO, south down as far as San Luis Obispo and then fly up to Seattle. Pick up a car, then drive to Vancouver for a reunion with an old Army friend before flying home. Cancelled.

Our Aug 2020 was SFO then down as far as Hollywood for Universal and Warner Bros, drive out to Tucson, Pima museum, Tombstone for the day and then fly home. Cancelled.

This August is as in the pretrip in my signature... SFO, drive Monterey, Big Sur, Madonna Inn, Pismo, Solvang, Hollywood (for Universal and Warner bros, fly Burbank to Tucson then Pima Museum, Tucson, Tombstone for the day, through Winslow (as in the Take it easy, Eagles song) on the way to Grand Canyon, Hoover dam... Vegas in order to fly home. .. as I said, ‘a bolt on’ at the end.
My 2 Vancouver trips got cancelled. I still have hope for this year though. I will never forget our 2 trips to Grand Canyon. It was just amazing. Utah is lovely to visit too if you haven’t been. I get the feeling you will find Vegas a bit too much, but as you say it’s just a place to fly home from. Don’t forget to look around in the Venetian. It’s well worth a visit. It WILL happen in August for you
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
My 2 Vancouver trips got cancelled. I still have hope for this year though. I will never forget our 2 trips to Grand Canyon. It was just amazing. Utah is lovely to visit too if you haven’t been. I get the feeling you will find Vegas a bit too much, but as you say it’s just a place to fly home from. Don’t forget to look around in the Venetian. It’s well worth a visit. It WILL happen in August for you

I have only been to Vegas for work and I certainly find it too much (went a lot over just a 3 year period ) We had to stay where our hosts billeted us and once was Luxor (it was near to where we needed to be too) and it is a good location for what CFB wants to do and see. The hoover dam, Grand Canyon and I agree a wander round the Venetian would be my top 3 (the rest of Vegas is meh to me really) also as you say if you get a runway room then good views. It was many years ago we stayed there thing. Hopefully they have improved their a/c but our rooms were got incredibly hot so close the blinds when you leave the room for the day and leave housekeeping a note to keep them closed.

You have a fascinating and adventurous itinerary. You will have a blast and I cant wait to read your trip report
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Will Mrs CFB want to do any final shopping CFB?

There is an outside collection of shops just a bit south of Luxor (past the Fabulous Las Vegas sign where a lot of people get their photo taken).

I can’t remember the name but can look it up - the reason I mention it is because planes literally fly over it and we’ve had some great experiences just sitting there with a coffee (while other group members shop) just watching the planes go.
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Will Mrs CFB want to do any final shopping CFB?

There is an outside collection of shops just a bit south of Luxor (past the Fabulous Las Vegas sign where a lot of people get their photo taken).

I can’t remember the name but can look it up - the reason I mention it is because planes literally fly over it and we’ve had some great experiences just sitting there with a coffee (while other group members shop) just watching the planes go.
I will take a look.

There is a shopping mall close to the airport in Tucson that Mandie intends visiting whilst I spend a whole day in the Pima museum, the reason being that it is well off the beaten tourist track. I feel sure that she would happily fit in another one!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

That will be south outlet in Vegas. North outlet is the better one to visit though for shopping.

Edited at 11:47 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Clarke County museum is a good place to visit if heading out past Henderson towards the dam.

Vegas is so much more than the strip. It's like saying you have been to Hollywood and seen Los Angeles.

Edited at 11:45 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
That will be south outlet in Vegas. North outlet is the better one to visit though.
I have to agree - the North one is totally superb and by far one of the best in the USA I have visited. The south (area a bid dodgy too !) is still away from your hotel. But I haven’t shipped “properly”in the USA since 2012 when I realised I can get better bargains in London or online (thats was in Cabazon which many people rate that mall but I found dull so there and then decided shopping was no longer for me - give me a museums any day ! I can shop at home but cant get the local arts and culture so that’s my priority these days)

Edited at 12:56 PM. Reason: Typo
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
That will be south outlet in Vegas. North outlet is the better one to visit though.
No not there. It’s all indoors so plane viewing not possible! I find the South outlet too much like an 80s indoor shopping market 😂

The one I mean is Town Square (having Googled) and it’s a pretty pleasant collection of all the shops you’d expect to see, as well as it being in a nice outdoor setting (making plane spotting better).

ETA the link mytownsquarelasvegas/

Edited at 11:52 AM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List