Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Apr 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post

West Coast US and Canada in the same trip

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

I'm supposed to be going to WDW in December for my 40th but have decided that a) it might still have some restrictions or cases might be high again, and b) I need more time to save up, plus c) my sister doesn't want to go so soon after losing our dog and having had a bad flight in 2019.

So I'm thinking instead of going to do two of my bucket list places - Disneyland in California and Vancouver. I hope to convince my sister to come!

I have been having a look and am thinking late September/early October 2022 (they are quite different climate wise so needed to go for what was likely to be sunny but not roasting).

Flight wise we will fly into one and out the other. But I can't decide the order. I looked at Pacific Coast cruises to get from LA to Vancouver but they don't run in that direction in September, and have also looked at getting the Amtrak to Seattle (if we go north) and then getting a flight or ferry from there after a couple of nights. I don't drive and will unlikely be travelling with anyone who does.

Is this a crazy plan? I'm not a massive fan of flying so if I could do everything I want at that side of the coast in one trip that would be ideal. I have up to three weeks I could take, and am open to suggestions of must sees/stops.

Thank you
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I think it’s a very ingenious plan for a person who wants to avoid flying!

You may find the cruise dates restrict you a bit and although I normally book flights first I wonder if you should start with the cruise and build it around that? But I guess it’s hard to tell right now what cruise lines will be doing given all the stuff they are doing at the moment.

But I think your idea sounds great!
Old 11 Apr 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Yep, the cruise is causing difficulties with dates... Maybe the train would be a better option (or a flight as a last resort!)

Ive been looking at the Amtrak coast train that goes from LA to Seattle, with a bedroom, but it's pretty expensive...

The train from Seattle to Vancouver sounds much easier though and is very picturesque so I think we'll probably do that.

I can't decide whether it's worth stopping in San Francisco too... It used to be a massive bucket list city but now I'm not sure.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by klairbear View Post
Yep, the cruise is causing difficulties with dates... Maybe the train would be a better option (or a flight as a last resort!)

Ive been looking at the Amtrak coast train that goes from LA to Seattle, with a bedroom, but it's pretty expensive...

The train from Seattle to Vancouver sounds much easier though and is very picturesque so I think we'll probably do that.

I can't decide whether it's worth stopping in San Francisco too... It used to be a massive bucket list city but now I'm not sure.

The rail journey form LA to Seattle will be stunning relaxing trip for sure. I think the other option will be fine but certainly not as picturesque or so many “awesome” as hogging the PCH . Depends on what really is on your bucket list I guess

Vancouver didnt do anything for me (Seattle highlight was visiting the aircraft museums ) but the PCH from San Fran downwards is out of this world (in my view) - I am only flown to and from Seattle not driven (and got the train once from LA to San Diego - stunning but SO slow lol but bucket list ticked)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

We are due to take the train from Seattle to Vancouver at the end of our road trip. We had to cancel last year so have rebooked it all for leaving UK 23 August. We have a credit voucher from Amtrak to use.

Booking the original train was really easy and surprisingly cheap for equivalent of business class seats. We've done NY to Boston before this way and it was excellent, using the Red Cap porters to get us loaded and seated before anyone else.

Am hoping against hope that we get to go this year but the current situation in Canada isn't looking like they're going to let visitors in any time soon. USA a much better bet but we are tied to Vancouver flights with Air Canada.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List