Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Apr 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

UPDATE;

So we did view the other house but were really disappointed when we viewed. So we continued with the plot purchase and on the 1st April we became the new owners of our beautiful 0.4 acre plot - and it didn't even turn out to be an April fools! Eek!

We went to the National Self Build and Renovation Centre in Swindon on Saturday - and it was great. Both for some normality, as it was the first time we had really been anywhere since the lockdown easing, and because it was absolutely amazing there - so informative.

We have our appointment with an architect on Wednesday morning to see how we can tweak the current planned house to better suit us and then it's full steam ahead in getting revised plans drawn up.

In the meantime we are living at my mum's house. Hopefully only for a couple of months until we get a static caravan set up ready for the build.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
UPDATE;

So we did view the other house but were really disappointed when we viewed. So we continued with the plot purchase and on the 1st April we became the new owners of our beautiful 0.4 acre plot - and it didn't even turn out to be an April fools! Eek!

We went to the National Self Build and Renovation Centre in Swindon on Saturday - and it was great. Both for some normality, as it was the first time we had really been anywhere since the lockdown easing, and because it was absolutely amazing there - so informative.

We have our appointment with an architect on Wednesday morning to see how we can tweak the current planned house to better suit us and then it's full steam ahead in getting revised plans drawn up.

In the meantime we are living at my mum's house. Hopefully only for a couple of months until we get a static caravan set up ready for the build.
Congratulations - what a difference that will be for you! But lovely to design it all for yourself, although I couldn't cope with the decisions

We are coming to the end of our renovations and although we said we would stay here, and lockdown has proved to us how much we love being here, if financially it makes sense then we may well start looking again. However we will definitely not be looking for a self build or even a renovation project

Good luck and would love to see all your plans etc x
Old 19 Apr 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Definitely not mad, it sounds really exciting!
Me parents did something similar when I was 2. They bought a plot of land, designed the house they wanted and helped build it. We lived in a static caravan for years, when my brother arrived they extended the caravan🤣.
Life is for enjoying, they do say you only live once but I saw something the other day that said “ you only die once, you live everyday”
Enjoy the adventure 😊
Old 19 Apr 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Oh how exciting! That sounds fabulous. I would love it if you would do a build thread so we can see it going up but totally understand if you are going to be really busy with it.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Congratulations!

How long is the build planning to take?
I could totally live in a caravan btw, even without the dream home at the end, we love ours!
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Fantastic , exciting times ahead. If you are someone who watches grand designs etc you will know that planning is the key to a successful build. Most self builders have a 10/15 % contingency plan.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Congratulations. It is such an exciting thing to do. I would love to do it but DH would rather eat worms🙂.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Ohhhhhh my gosh how exciting

I don't envy you one bit I'm having a mare just choosing tiles for our new build but I bet I will when it's all done.

Oodles of good luck and keep us updated xx
Old 19 Apr 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Congratulations
How exciting, I’m so looking forward to following your progress.
Just a thought rather than a static caravan to live on site have you considered a wooden lodge type building to live in during the move that then you can use as a garden room/ outdoor bar/ man cave gym etc when the build is complete?
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Mad, most definitely not. I think it is something many people dream of doing but not many go through with it. As for living in a static caravan that would not bother me in the slightest. Many have all the mod cons and are actually very warm even in the depths of winter. I hope you are going to treat us to photos of the building work once it gets started.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List