Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Outdoor furniture

Hi all. I'm interested to know what others do with their outdoor furniture, mainly in the spring and summer.

Ours is a table with tiled top (and central firepit) and cast iron legs. The chairs are huge cast iron armchairs with very comfy cushions that take up the space of 2 US style coffins in storage bags. The table is out all year and the only visible weathering is the fire pit cover is rusted. The chairs and cushions are in the garage, taking up a lot of space and we get them out when required which is a big faff.

So my question is: Is the plastic rattan style furniture more practical? I've heard that a yearly wash with a power hose is all it needs. What about rain covers? The last thing I want when the sun comes out, is to get a wet BT. If folk use covers do they keep the cushions in place and if so do they eventually get mouldy, or do most folk take their cushions indoors each time?

With my new decking (ordered and paid for last July, and going in today, thanks Covid) I just want to swan outside with my cocktail and sit down, rather than having to haul chairs and bags of cushions out the garage each time.

Is there even a right answer with our climate?
Over to you Dibbers & thanks
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I will take one part namely cushions

We never leave ours out overnight as it will either rain or the overnight dew will leave them damp

Plus my Wife thinks they will become infested with crawling things!

In the garage in a box. However the box isn't pushed away as it is over the Winter but is easily accessible.

Over the Winter the furniture is covered in purpose made covers.

Enjoy your new decking.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
VIP Dibber

We treated ourselves to our first proper furniture set this year as we had been making do with two metal chairs and a table
Researched it for a while as didnít want to be taking it in and out all the time
Went for a cube sofa set from moda which can be left out year round
Cushions say shower proof but tend to bring them in overnight or store one or two under the table if itís going to be dry
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We bring cushions in over night - but leave them accessible (they go into the attic over winter). Other furniture is left out - covered if we know there will be rain but often ileft uncovered most of the time from May to Sept. covered over winter.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Stan1805
Excited about Disney

We never leave our cushions out overnight. We use IKEA clear storage bags and pop them in the garage.
Stan1805 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I have a couple of wrought iron tables and chairs, they are left out all year round and have been for a few years, we just wash them down when necessary. Any small rust spots can be touched up with Hammerite.

Our sofas and coffee table stay in the garage in the winter months (treated wood) but are left out in the summer and covered at night.

We have 2 Keter boxes for the cushions during the summer but they are put in the loft during winter - wrapped in tissue and plastic bags.

We always put cushions in the boxes as not only can they get damp but I always worry about cats getting under the covers and using them as a litter tray.

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

We have the plastic rattan style furniture purchased when I worked at Dobbies. The cushions are indoors all the time except when being used. Have either used a tarpaulin or not bothered for autumn/winter and just hose down in spring or when birds have used as target practice.
If you have a sit down type table and want to cover I would suggest placing a upturned flower pot on the table under the cover so that the water runs off and does not just sit there.
Old 22 Apr 21, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We bought a Kettler L shape last summer. We also bought the covers to go with it. We brought our pads in the house (stored in a spare bedroom) as one of the pads started to get mouldy! The set sits in a covered area, though no sides on so wind/rain blows through. The furniture itself is as good as new this year (except for the few mould spots on the one pad). We always cover the furniture up after use, even in the summer. Don't want bird poo or any other animal poo on it!
MinniMouse is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

We have a round modular rattan garden set, with a large glass dining table. All the cushions go in at night, somewhere easy to get at in the summer, but put away totally in the winter.

Because of its shape and the different sections, we got bespoke made to measure winterproof covers for each part, but we don't use the covers at all in the summer. Once they come off (which they have recently, they won't go on again until autumn). They weren't cheap covers, but worth it for the proper fit.

Our rattan set is a few years old now, but still looks like new.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi for your rusted piece get it sand blasted and repaint with a suitable primer and paint
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List