Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jul 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mackem
Apprentice Imagineer

Advice needed please re cancelled flight - UPDATED

I am just after a bit of advice. We booked a month ago with Thomas Cook Airlines to fly Man to LAX May 2019. Flight only.

We then booked hotels and car hire separately which is non refundable.

We received an email today from Thomas Cook Airlines saying sorry due to a flight plan change your flight has been cancelled and we have refunded your money.

We booked with Thomas Cook as this was the cheapest and only way to be honest that we could afford to go to California. £684 vs £1700 with Virgin or BA.

So now I have hotels and car hire booked but no flight and looking at it it is going to cost us a lot more now to book an alternative flight. Does anyone know if I can claim from Thomas Cook for the loss of hotels and car hire if we can't go?

Any advice will be welcome.

*UPDATE - I just thought I would update you all, Following the thread above and our TC flights being cancelled we managed to rebook for the same dates with British Airways MAN - LAX via Heathrow going out and Virgin direct back LAX - MAN. (from May 25th next year Virgin are flying direct from MAN to LAX) These flights worked out at an additional cost of £249 per person vs the original flight price with TC. I contacted TC who at first said there was nothing they could do and it was up to us to pay the extra cost. I then emailed the CEO of Thomas Cook Airlines who agreed to reimburse the additional cost for us. Apparently this is not advertised when any airline cancels a flight but as long as it is a European airline the EU261 law states an alternative flight must be offered or the difference paid. In this case TC refunded our original flight cost plus the additional £249 per person to re book with BA & Virgin. If you don't ask for it thought it won't be offered.

Edited at 01:02 PM.
mackem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Do you have travel insurance? Maybe you could claim off that but you'd need to look at the policy details.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mackem
Apprentice Imagineer

We do have travel insurance but I am just really upset that we should need to do this. I can't believe TC can just take our money, let us make all our plans then simply email to say sorry flights cancelled!
Old 25 Jul 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mackem View Post
We do have travel insurance but I am just really upset that we should need to do this. I can't believe TC can just take our money, let us make all our plans then simply email to say sorry flights cancelled!
Hiya Sue - unfortunately TC can, likely it'll be in their T&Cs somewhere too. I'm sorry they've cancelled your flight, if you're unable to rebook with VA/other airline due to cost it'll be best to contact your insurer.

Good luck
Old 25 Jul 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

It has happened to us too,but our hotels are cancellable
. Think we are just going to book an alternative flight cos we have now set our minds on the trip.
Old 25 Jul 18, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

You wouldn't be able to claim from Thomas Cook, sadly that is the risk that you run if you book things DIY versus booking a package deal. If you book a package deal, they would have to find you alternate flights for the same cost or allow you to get a full refund.

You may be able to claim through travel insurance but I am not 100% sure as again, this is just a risk of booking DIY and you are not cancelling due to illness or something along those lines. Worth asking though
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya Sue - unfortunately TC can, likely it'll be in their T&Cs somewhere too. I'm sorry they've cancelled your flight, if you're unable to rebook with VA/other airline due to cost it'll be best to contact your insurer.
It's not just TC it's any airline, compensation is not payable unless the flight is cancelled 14 days or less before the departure date.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

What about trying another airline like Aer Lingus? It is indirect but you clear customs in Dublin so land as a domestic flight. I don't know what dates you are going but they can be quite reasonable price wise and are a good airline.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
mackem
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the help and advice. I will NEVER book with Thomas Cook ever again. Lesson Learned.
Old 25 Jul 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

As others have said it's not just TC.

All operators have the ability to do this. It could be schedule changes, airport changes, any number of operational reasons.

It's the risk you take when booking non refundable trips DIY
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List