Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Mar 21, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

An oldie but a goodie! - New York - Sep 2014 - Day 2

Again I managed to wake at 5am, not good! My partner on the other hand was dead to the world and fast asleep. I managed to doze a little, but I was also excited for the day ahead!

We left the hotel in search of breakfast and headed towards Bryant Park, I love this park! It’s amazing to see all these huge massive sky scrapers meters away from you but the peace and tranquillity the park brings is amazing. I could have sat there all day enjoying the sunshine and eating my bagels, but we had to get on with the day!

We headed into the New York Public Library, its an amazing building with wonderful marble interior, and put any other library I have been into shame. I wanted to go into the main hall but for some reason it was closed so that will have to be added onto the list for next time!

From here we continued down 5th Avenue, taking in all of the shops and did a bit of window shopping. If I ever win the lottery this will be my first port of call! We managed to stumble along Tiffany’s and wondered on inside, I’m not a jewelry person but I still managed to marvel at the amount of diamonds sparkling at me. Luckily for me and my credit card, my partner likes yellow gold which put 90% of the things on show out the window, and as the old saying goes if you have to ask what the price is you can’t afford it which I thought was very true here!

We continued up 5th Avenue until we see the Apple store and FAO Schwartz. Outside Apple people were camping out for the new iPhone, bearing in mind it still wasn’t due out for another 3 days or so the queue was around 10-15 people, they are mad just to get their hands on the latest bit of kit!

We head into FAO Schwartz, now this is my Tiffany! I felt like I was 10 years old again stepping into Toys R Us for the first time. We have a wonder around and see the masses of sweets available and I spend a Dollar on the Zoltar machine. We headed up stairs and to the main purpose of going inside to see the big piano, Guess what….. it was closed, with no sign of it about to open.

We head to a local deli and pick up some sandwiches and bits for our picnic in Central Park. Central Park is an amazing place, somewhere to go and lose yourself, I’m not sure where I read or heard it but it apparently it was designed so people would get lost, there is no one straight path that would lead you from one side of the park to another.

Heading in we got accosted by the usual pedi-cabs and horse and carriage rides, we started walking in and past the Ice Rink which I believe they were in the process of constructing, and then over the Mall. There was all sorts going on down the Mall from a group break dancing to various people playing musical instruments, we even saw around 3 wedding couples having their pictures done at various points.

We find a nice spot to sit down and enjoy our picnic we had got earlier, this has to be the best way to enjoy a lunch in central park if the weather is nice, no expensive restaurants, just laying back, and enjoying the company of my partner.

We then went over and rented a boat on the lake, I thought this was good value for $15 for an hour. Of course I was doing all the work while my partner sat there telling me to mind various wildlife and other boats. We continued on and rested in the main part of the lake after you go under the bridge.

This was to be the main reason why I prepared this trip and made it a big surprise for my partner, I’m sure many of you can guess what was to come next but I was desperate to find a nice quite spot on the lake, but whenever I did and plucked up the courage someone would come along in their boat and ruin it, this happened around 3 times and it got to the stage where we had 20 mins left and I frantically rowed to another point calmed my self down and asked my girlfriend if she would marry me!

Of course the answer was yes, and many tears of joy followed.

I rowed us both back to the dock with time to spare, we got off both with massive grins on our faces and found a bench to sit down and take a break.

After a little chat and looking at this sparkly ring attached to her finger we continued on with our day and we stumbled upon the Alice in Wonderland statue, there was a massive queue of people waiting to have their picture taken and all I wanted was a shot of the statue without a lady draped over it, another woman I think also shared my frustration so shouted out for people to stop so we could get some pictures with no one around.

We also came across the gorgeous pond where the model boats were sailing. I thought this was a great idea and would never happen here as they would be stolen within seconds.

We then headed out of the park and towards Bloomingdales, picked up the visitor discount and headed to my fiancées favorite section the Handbags! Surprisingly she couldn’t find anything she fancied and settled on a more traditional little brown bag.

We continued back down towards Grand Central Terminal and walked through the market which was selling all sorts of amazing treats and goodies, had we got cooking facilities in our room I’m sure we would have got some lovely looking fish. We headed on inside and took the usual photos of the roof and the main ticket hall. I had read before we came about the whispering into the wall thing but forgot to note down which wall it was and we didn’t want to look idiots by talking to random walls.

We continued back towards our hotel and stopped off again in Bryant park, watched people come and go and enjoyed our first moments as a newly engaged couple! Another reason I love this park is the atmosphere, people playing chess had complete strangers coming up to them asking them for a game, and if only I knew how to play I would have been straight there!

We relax at our hotel before heading out again and find somewhere for dinner, ended up in Shake Shack.

I think we must have been lucky as when we had walked past before the line was snaking down the block, the burgers where amazing and it was great how it was all cooked to order. It was super busy inside and very little seating, we were lucky and a couple let us have their table after they had finished.

Just as we started on our burgers a lady comes over and asks if we are going soon, ermmm… i’ve just started my meal thanks! She continues to lurk around the table watching us like an eagle and as soon as my last chip is in my mouth she is back over asking when we are going to leave. I respond politely saying that we have just finished as we will be leaving when we are ready thank you.

Anyway we finish up our drinks and with this lady still lurking around we spot a pregnant lady milling around, so we wave her over and ask if she would like our seats. We are thanked profusely by the pregnant lady and her partner and given the glare of a life time from the lurker.

From here we headed to our first show of our holiday, Avenue Q at the new world stages. I booked the tickets through Goldstar before I came and saved around $15.00 per ticket, and is worth a check before booking directly. The only thing is you don’t find out your seat numbers until picking tickets up, I doubt there is a bad seat in the house but we were allocated row M seats 1&2, which was on the left, majority of our section was empty apart from our row which I guess was full of people booked via goldstar. The ushers allowed us to move as we wished in our section so we moved down to row D I think which was a bonus.

I would not recommend this to families as it was very rude, but we had a great time and laughed most of the way through. We head back to the hotel and collapse into bed after one of the best days in our lives.

Day 3

Edited at 12:53 PM.
AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 21, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Perfect proposal! Fabulous day. Congratulations 👏👏

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List