Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Mar 21, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Ils
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mickey68 View Post
Another vote for Burbank. We stayed 3 nights at The Tangerine and never moved the car. Metro to Hollywood but we decided on Uber in the end and Uber was cheaper than parking at Universal. Felt safe walking about and nice places to eat within walking distance.
Is the Tangerine a good option for a 3 or 4 night stay in that area for a family of four with a 12 and 9 year old? As we want a good option where Universal, the beaches and Six Flags are all within one hour travel.

We looked at the Hilton as well but would be the more expensive option but trying to keep costs down where necessary.

Edited at 06:41 PM.
Ils is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ils View Post
Is the Tangerine a good option for a 3 or 4 night stay in that area for a family of four with a 12 and 9 year old? As we want a good option where Universal, the beaches and Six Flags are all within one hour travel.

We looked at the Hilton as well but would be the more expensive option but trying to keep costs down where necessary.
Hi - for what you're wanting I'd also consider Santa Monica. Meets the hour criteria plus puts you pretty much on the beach and in a far better (IMHO) part of LA. Hotels can be pricey but there are some good cheaper options (e.g the SeaShore motel which also has free parking).
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

Definitely Burbank or Glendale
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Another thumbs-up for The Tangerine - great location, you can walk WB Studios. We used it as a base to explore from.

Getting to Hollywood/Downtown LA was easy enough - we drove to the subway/metro station (I think at NoHo) where you can park and ride.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ils View Post

Santa Monica is a perfect location - specially with kids - beach / pier etc.

I found it hard to find a cheap option. Santa Monica Motel is good and cheap - but I would recommend a taxi to the beach as the walk is a little ropey. Same everywhere in LA.

booking/hotel/us/san...s=1&#hotelTmpl

Edited at 04:21 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Santa Monica is a perfect location - specially with kids - beach / pier etc.

I found it hard to find a cheap option. Santa Monica Motel is good and cheap - but I would recommend a taxi to the beach as the walk is a little ropey. Same everywhere in LA.

booking/hotel/us/san...s=1&#hotelTmpl
The drive from Santa Monica to Universal is listed at 21 miles and 25 minutes... not in your wildest dreams if you are trying to move to get to the theme park as you will be in LA rush hour.
The thread is about visiting Universal and Warner bros. I wouldn’t even consider Santa Monica, much as I like it. It took me an hour and 3/4 just to drive from Santa Monica pier to LAX in 2018.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sizzle
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 11
We stayed at the Loews Hollywood for 5 nights, where we got an upgrade to a Hollywood sign view at check in. We used that as our base for universal, WB and a few tours etc. It was perfect for us and we used Uber/lyft with no problems. We then moved over to Anaheim for a further 5 nights. The only time we had issue with traffic was on our return to LAX.
Old 17 Mar 21, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The drive from Santa Monica to Universal is listed at 21 miles and 25 minutes... not in your wildest dreams if you are trying to move to get to the theme park as you will be in LA rush hour.
The thread is about visiting Universal and Warner bros. I wouldn’t even consider Santa Monica, much as I like it. It took me an hour and 3/4 just to drive from Santa Monica pier to LAX in 2018.
I agree I won’t drive but the location is rather fine. You can catch the subway form Sandra Monica to Universal Studios changing just once (or it was last time I did it c3 years ago) and saves on parking up at the studios so is time efficient. Just another option then walk from hotel over the bleachers to the beach to unwind and swim after a hard day at the park (the hotel I mentioned also has a beach club where you can dump your stuff and do that plus have a beer/cocktail - my idea of paradise)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I was responding to ILS - I forgot to include their post - fixed.

So for their purposes, considering they wanted a base for Universal, Six Flags and the beach - I think my suggestion is a good one.

I went in Feb 2020 and it took me from Santa Monica around:
  • 45 mins to drive into LA in the morning
  • 1hr mins to drive to Magic Mountain
  • 1hr to drive to Disneyland

LA traffic is incredible but its does move and I found it no more of a challenge in the end than London or any other major cities around the world.

Regardless of what I was doing on a holiday - I would consider having a beach location as my base - doesn't phase me to have to drive 45mins.

Edited at 04:23 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
I was responding to ILS - I forgot to include their post - fixed.

So for their purposes, considering they wanted a base for Universal, Six Flags and the beach - I think my suggestion is a good one.

I went in Feb 2020 and it took me from Santa Monica around:
  • 45 mins to drive into LA in the morning
  • 1hr mins to drive to Magic Mountain
  • 1hr to drive to Disneyland

LA traffic is incredible but its does move and I found it no more of a challenge in the end than London or any other major cities around the world.

I dont mind driving in LA especially if I have time but if it rains or and RTA then you can be stuck for hours. Rain causes all sorts of issues main one being locals unable to drive in it (IMO - sorry dont want to insult any LA locals) !
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List