Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Apr 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Hotel California prices (sounds better than California Hotel prices).

Just having my monthly play around with previously booked hotels and found some interesting price moves.

1. The Hotel Rui at Fisherman’s Wharf. 18 Aug 20 Aug (2 nights).
Previous price £479 +50 resort fee without breakfast.
New price £357.63 plus £33.93 resort fee including breakfast.
Cancelled and rebooked.

2. Hilton at Universal Studios. 25 Aug to 27 Aug (2 nights)
Previous price £468.74
New price £428.
Not enough (quite) for a cancel and rebook.

3. Newyorknewyork at Vegas 31 Aug to 02Sept (2 nights)
Previous price £251.74 plus £64.68 at the property.
New price £290 app plus over £70 at the property.

Some ups and some downs, but certainly there is sufficient price movement to re-research what you may have.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:58 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Just having my monthly play around with previously booked hotels and found some interesting price moves.

1. The Hotel Rui at Fisherman’s Wharf. 18 Aug 20 Aug (2 nights).
Previous price £479 +50 resort fee without breakfast.
New price £357.63 plus £33.93 resort fee including breakfast.
Cancelled and rebooked.

2. Hilton at Universal Studios. 25 Aug to 27 Aug (2 nights)
Previous price £468.74
New price £428.
Not enough (quite) for a cancel and rebook.

3. Newyorknewyork at Vegas 31 Aug to 03 Sept (2 nights)
Previous price £251.74 plus £64.68 at the property.
New price £290 app plus over £70 at the property.

Some ups and some downs, but certainly there is sufficient price movement to re-research what you may have.
That’s super spendy for two nights at NYNY? But your dates suggest four. Bally’s is a lot cheaper if you’re only doing two... ?
Old 10 Apr 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
That’s super spendy for two nights at NYNY? But your dates suggest four. Bally’s is a lot cheaper if you’re only doing two... ?
Karen, I cannot thank you enough!

I went on the various search engines and found prices that were much in line with our own 2 night stay at £320 for the two nights including all taxes.

I then tried the hotels own site and was immediately looking at £150 for the same room including taxes.

I then tried another MGM Hotel, The Luxor. I got a newly renovated 2 queens room in the Pyramid for a total of £136 total including all taxes for the two nights.

You really are the most wonderful dibber!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:30 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I cancelled my booking with booking.com yesterday and booked 4 nights at rui fishermans wharf and 1 night at the ranch in death valley with BA in their sale and got 25% off. Result. It pays to keep looking around.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Karen, I cannot thank you enough!

I went on the various search engines and found prices that were much in line with our own 2 night stay at £320 for the two nights including all taxes.

I then tried the hotels own site and was immediately looking at £150 for the same room including taxes.

I then tried another MGM Hotel, The Luxor. I got a newly renovated 2 queens room in the Pyramid for a total of £136 total including all taxes.

You really are the most wonderful dibber!
So are you now staying at Luxor?
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
So are you now staying at Luxor?
Yes. Change of mind kicked in when perusing the MGM site. I liked the look of the refurbished rooms, they represented a good saving over the NYNY and it simply looks a little nicer overall.

Old 10 Apr 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Yes. Change of mind kicked in when perusing the MGM site. I liked the look of the refurbished rooms, they represented a good saving over the NYNY and it simply looks a little nicer overall.
My only fault with Luxor is its very dark inside. I have not been in the refurbished rooms. However the main draw back for me, is its position on the strip. Have you been to Vegas before?
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
My only fault with Luxor is its very dark inside. I have not been in the refurbished rooms. However the main draw back for me, is its position on the strip. Have you been to Vegas before?
Jo I normally completely agree with everything you say

But Luxor is not that far from NYNY where CFB was originally staying. And I don’t have the impression that CFB cares about pole position on the Strip but is seeing it almost as a holding spot before flying home (CFB correct me if I’m wrong). I also have the impression the extra walk probably wouldn’t bother them as they are fit as Cornish Badgers 😂
Old 10 Apr 21, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

But Luxor is not that far from NYNY where CFB was originally staying. And I don’t have the impression that CFB cares about pole position on the Strip but is seeing it almost as a holding spot before flying home (CFB correct me if I’m wrong). I also have the impression the extra walk probably wouldn’t bother them as they are fit as Cornish Badgers 😂
Spot on KarenG. As you know from our trip report, 20,000 plus steps in a day is absolutely fine.. even in the 39’ and high humidity of Boston in 2019. This area is dry heat, we can take our time and refresh lots.
On arrival, we are dumping our car at McCarran and then must get to our hotel, hence our liking for the South end of the strip (NYNY and as a replacement, the Luxor). We will be flying out of McCarran at 2100 after spending 2 nights in the Hotel, thus it is again desirable to be at that end of the strip.
Remember also that I am very much an Aviation fanatic in addition to anything else. I should get a view of the very secretive 737s that fly out to Area51 every day. They appear in some Luxor photographs.

ITINERARY.
We arrive late afternoon and into the evening, sunset around 1800, We want to see the Bellagio fountains and some of the strip that evening before bed. There are plenty of restaurants in the area. We wanted to visit Hooters, but it is now gone. Johnny Rockets is either very close to or part of the Luxor. We like Johnny Rockets.
Next day, it is an all day stroll up the strip , maybe a few Hotel lobbies and a good look around including the pawn stars shop before arriving late afternoon at the Heartattack Grill for the ultimate challenge (and punishment).. we have 15 and 18 year old boys! Taxi or Uber home, (if they can sit down).
Next day, we have until late afternoon as our flight is at 2100.

As can be seen, one end of the strip, preferably the airport end suits our purposes extremely well as we intend walking end to end, then transport back. If we were in the middle, then it would be head North one day, South the next.. plus the return journeys.

We would be very grateful of any suggestions on what to do on our last day as we are Vegas virgins!

Edited at 10:18 PM.
Old 10 Apr 21, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

You may very well be right Karen. I was just checking he is aware of where it is on the strip. For me its not just that its right at the end, but the hassle of getting over the bridge and the monorail. We once stayed at Mandalay Bay and got upgraded to a suite. The room was amazing, but it was such a hassle to get up to the middle of the strip. Apart from hotels there is nothing else there. We are not Cornish fit badgers by any means lol, but its just a time thing for me as well. Also for his lads NYNY is great to look around at night and loads of little eating places. If he is ok with that go for it. I have to say I would stay at Ballys any day of the week just for convenience. Where ever you stay CFB I hope you have a great time.