Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Apr 21, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Question problems with new glasses

Ds got now glasses at the weekend and they said it would take a couple of weeks to get used to them but ds is complaining they make his eyes hurt and everything looks angled? He's trying to wear them but he's been really struggling with it.

I rang to see if I could get him an appointment to get them looked at and they said we have to wait a couple of weeks as he needs time to get used to them. The fact that things don't look straight and his eyes are hurting so much doesn't seem right to me so wondering if I should call again or try somewhere else?
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Well I have worn glasses since I was 7 years old until I had my eyes lasered. I have never had new glasses that made my eyes hurt, made things angled or had to get used to. It was always nice to get new glasses in fact. Unless he has got bifocals, I don’t think he should have to break glasses in so to speak and I would not accept that.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Even when I got varifocals I never had an issue adjusting to new glasses and neither have my DH or either of my children who’ve worn glasses since pre-school.
Old 27 Apr 21, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

Is this the first time he's had glasses? If so then everything will look a bit weird at first. Personally, even after wearing glasses for years I still take a little while to adjust if I get new frames or lenses and try to wait a couple of weeks before getting them looked at. If they really are making his eyes hurt then you might want to get it checked out earlier.
HFJohnson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I had new glasses from a well known High Street optician, when I went to pick them up, I first questioned the colour of the frame but was told they are the ones I ordered, when I tried them on I said everything was blurry and was told my eyes would adjust to them, I took them home but there is no way I would have worn them to drive as I really couldn't see very well with them, I also felt they were too big as they kept falling down so went back to the optician and was told they were fine, she did tweak the arms to make them a bit tighter but I still couldn't see through them, friends and family all questioned the colour of the frames as they weren't a colour I would normally wear, I went back 3 times complaining that I couldn't see properly, I saw the same girl each time and I guess she was getting a bit fed up with me as she said "Mrs Hill these are the glasses you ordered and have been made to your prescription", I said "who is Mrs Hill, my name is Mrs XX" needless to say I won't be going back there again. So please take your son back to the opticians and question it again.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Its pretty common with new glasses. Give them a little longer than a few days.

Mine are the same after a new prescription.
Old 27 Apr 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

I would absolutely get that checked out asap.

I am no expert, but it might be that they have not been fitted correctly, as in the optimal zone is not where it should be in relation to his eyes (if that makes sense).

I once (and only once) got a pair of glasses from Specsavers, and they were not fitted correctly. After a few weeks wearing them, my eyeballs went absolutely haywire!... they were spinning around uncontrollably, and I had to lie down with my eyes shut for a couple of hours before they settled down again.

I immediately got an appointment with another optician, and he was shocked at how badly they had been fitted. My eyes had been straining forever to see through the lenses, and in the end the muscles just went into spasm. No harm done, but it was a terrifying experience!

If you are in the Cheshire area, I can highly recommend an independent optician near Northwich.

I hope your son gets this sorted quickly
Old 27 Apr 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Years ago I got 2 new pairs of glasses, both varifocal the only difference being one pair had the coating that darkened the lens in sunshine, the other pair didn’t.
I wore the pair with the coating regularly until I damaged them, so I started wearing the other pair. It took about a week to get used to them even though they were made at the same time to the same prescription, after that all was fine.
I would give it a week or so and if it doesn’t improve go back to see his optician.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

I was told it was me when this happened but they'd got the wrong prescription. I'd insist on getting it sorted out straight away
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Got my new reading glasses from Boots and I swore blind they were faulty. My eyes were watering and I found it difficult to focus. Fast forward about 10 days and they were fine. Takes time for the eyes to adjust to the new glass.