Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 7 May 21, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Buying a Rolex at LHR

EDITED - Megaflyer has pointed out Duty Free shopping of big items / electronics etc is now removed from UK airports So it looks like I’ll be buying it from a UK shop

Ive never owned a Rolex before ( always always wanted one), but I have a sudden desire to actually buy one to celebrate the birth of my new grandson due in July.

Has anyone bought one at Heathrow duty free ? It looks like Im (hopefully ) flying out of T2 with Virgin in September. There are a few I like so if a ladies one that I like is in stock I’ll buy it.

I presume as its bought duty free, I don't declare it on the way home ?

Im scared of having it on holiday though. I guess Id just wear it 24/7. Savings the VAT is tempting.

Any advice ? Tips please ?

Edited at 09:19 AM.
Stitchesmumanddad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
No help sorry about LHR or Duty Free. However have you thought about a pre owned one from a UK reputable jeweler?

The savings can be excellent and they come with a warranty and fully refurbished. Just a thought.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Hiya, I don’t know all the answers but harking back to my customs training you do have to declare it on return. That’s unless things have changed since I left a few years ago which is likely as Brexit has changed some rules. Am sure there is likely to be someone with current experience who could advise.

As an alternate to taking it could you collect on return? It used to only be available when travelling domestically or in EU but I see it has opened to all countries so that may be an option.

boutique.heathrow/en/collect-on-return.html

Also check your travel insurance will cover items of that value if you do take it to Florida. I am not sure if some have an individual item limit.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

TaxDuty free shopping at London airports has now been stopped (hence why Dixons and other stores are closing their outlets) - if you buy goods there they will be the same price as high street now

standard/business/...s-b932097.html
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Have you considered a vintage Rolex, hold its value more and more cache?
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t think I’d bother buying in an airport for the reasons above added to which they may be less likely to bring in a specific model for you to look at (easier done in a regular Rolex shop).

FWIW when we bought two Omegas in 2013 from an Omega shop we were able to get the saving equivalent to the VAT on the premise we’d otherwise buy them next time we were at an airport. But I guess that bargaining lever is now gone and Rolex shops generally stick to their pricing.

(Coincidentally, I was looking at watch prices yesterday. My Speedmaster was £2,900 in 2013 (before discounting) and is now £5k. It like I could trade mine in for more much than I paid. So whatever you get, it should hopefully hold its value)
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

In all honesty the only place i know local to me is goldsmiths in Chelmsford the service Dads and are always so helpfull and professional 👍.
I can understand why you would want new, to commemorate new baby with a new watch, congratulations.

Colin
Old 7 May 21, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
Ive never owned a Rolex before ( always always wanted one), but I have a sudden desire to actually buy one to celebrate the birth of my new grandson due in July.

Has anyone bought one at Heathrow duty free ? It looks like Im (hopefully ) flying out of T2 with Virgin in September. There are a few I like so if a ladies one that I like is in stock I’ll buy it.

I presume as its bought duty free, I don't declare it on the way home ?

Im scared of having it on holiday though. I guess Id just wear it 24/7. Savings the VAT is tempting.

Any advice ? Tips please ?

Thanks to brexit there is no longer any duty free ( apart from
Alcohol and cigarettes)
So no big savings to be had now in the luxury shops .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
TaxDuty free shopping at London airports has now been stopped (hence why Dixons and other stores are closing their outlets) - if you buy goods there they will be the same price as high street now

standard/business/...s-b932097.html
Oh cheers for that info ! They sneaked that in didnt they ! Ive edited my OP
Old 7 May 21, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
In all honesty the only place i know local to me is goldsmiths in Chelmsford the service Dads and are always so helpfull and professional 👍.
I can understand why you would want new, to commemorate new baby with a new watch, congratulations.

Colin
Cheers - I have one of those in Lakeside and Bluewater

And yeah, I cannot wear any jewellery - my skin is too sensitive. A watch would need to be new - plus I want it the similar gold to my car lol