Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 May 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

What time to leave hotel in Anaheim

Hoping and praying and keeping everything crossed that our trip will go ahead September 2021.

We fly to California for the first 5 nights of our trip and then onto Orlando.

My question is if we have an 08.20 flight what time would you leave your hotel for LAX? How long does the transfer take and how would you do it? Bookable taxi or Uber?

Is it 2 hours you have to be there ahead of an internal flight?

2012 WDW Mom's Panel Search Finalist
Sheraton Safari Jan 05 & Feb 08
Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LDISNEYFOX View Post
Hoping and praying and keeping everything crossed that our trip will go ahead September 2021.

We fly to California for the first 5 nights of our trip and then onto Orlando.

My question is if we have an 08.20 flight what time would you leave your hotel for LAX? How long does the transfer take and how would you do it? Bookable taxi or Uber?

Is it 2 hours you have to be there ahead of an internal flight?
I would leave myself a very wide margin of error on the journey. From my own experiences and those of others, traffic congestion is at best, appalling. Research says that the journey should take a half an hour, but research also suggests that LA clogs up from 0600 when ‘rush hour’ begins.

I would not give advice or thoughts on the grounds that I would never forgive myself, were you act on it and then miss your flight.

If it was me, and only me... 0440 and a taxi, rather than an Uber, such would be my caution. If it is a clear run, then you would get there at around 0515 and have a 3 hour window to negotiate the airport, bag drop, security, to gate etc. The stakes are rather high!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 02:43 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I would tend to agree with CFB in terms of being cautious.

We have made it from Anaheim to LAX in 35 minutes but equally a few times it has taken well over an hour.

I would build in a margin of error and prepare myself for the regret of ‘we got here far too early’ rather than ‘OMG am I going to miss my flight’ panic.

That said I’d probably look to leave the hotel about 5.15am and I would Uber or prebook a taxi.
Old 9 May 21, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

If you haven’t yet booked flights it’s worth seeing if Santa Ana John Wayne has suitable ones, much easier to get to from DL. There used to be a Disney shuttle bus (chargeable) but I suspect that’s not currently operating.
Old 9 May 21, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I would leave myself a very wide margin of error on the journey. From my own experiences and those of others, traffic congestion is at best, appalling. Research says that the journey should take a half an hour, but research also suggests that LA clogs up from 0600 when ‘rush hour’ begins.

I would not give advice or thoughts on the grounds that I would never forgive myself, were you act on it and then miss your flight.

If it was me, and only me... 0440 and a taxi, rather than an Uber, such would be my caution. If it is a clear run, then you would get there at around 0515 and have a 3 hour window to negotiate the airport, bag drop, security, to gate etc. The stakes are rather high!
Thank you I really appreciate what you have said. Is it 2 hours before you have to be there for an internal flight?

Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I would tend to agree with CFB in terms of being cautious.

We have made it from Anaheim to LAX in 35 minutes but equally a few times it has taken well over an hour.

I would build in a margin of error and prepare myself for the regret of ‘we got here far too early’ rather than ‘OMG am I going to miss my flight’ panic.

That said I’d probably look to leave the hotel about 5.15am and I would Uber or prebook a taxi.
Hi Karen hope you and your daughter are well.

Thanks for that. Disneyland is very new to us and I don’t want to be worried about traffic. As you say I would much rather be at the airport too early than worth about being too late!

Old 9 May 21, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Thank you I really appreciate what you have said. Is it 2 hours before you have to be there for an internal flight?
I have looked up on United Airlines and they recommend arriving at a US airport for a domestic flight, 1 hour before.

I always look at 2 hours as I am by nature, cautious when it comes to flights.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have looked up on United Airlines and they recommend arriving at a US airport for a domestic flight, 1 hour before.

I always look at 2 hours as I am by nature, cautious when it comes to flights.
Thank you. 8.20 flight so will try to get there for 6am. So maybe leave at 4.30! Will have my heart in my mouth for the whole trip!

Old 9 May 21, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Thank you. 8.20 flight so will try to get there for 6am. So maybe leave at 4.30! Will have my heart in my mouth for the whole trip!
We are like minds!

I fly out of Burbank at 0900 on 27 August to Tucson and will be travelling up from the nearby Universal Hilton Hotel. It says 15 minutes travel time and it will be me driving. I will be in that airport terminal 2 hours before my flight... if all goes well.

Edited at 04:27 PM.
Old 9 May 21, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

LAX is one of the worst organised airports in the world and can easily take an hour to get through all of the checks although less so on the internal flights.

I would still aim to be there 2 hours rather than the 1 hour given you don't want to be having to reschedule to later flights in the day.

Traffic is also a pain, even at that time in the morning with rush hour starting much earlier in the UK. Given the 2 hours instead of 1 I would probably leave Anaheim with an hour to get to the airport at that time of day.

Also be aware LAX isn't the best airside for options so you may want to check what is there in the terminal you will be departing from.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List