Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 17 Nov 18, 02:38 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) A Mi11ion Dreams = 2018 - Day 5. AK to MK and our toast to Geoffa.

Welcome back, and thanks for your continued reading and your many PM's too, appreciate that so many are using this report as a way of planning their future trips

Now, before I begin today if you have no idea who Geoffa is you may struggle to understand why we did what we did.

You need a listen to The Dibbcast this show was a fitting tribute to all that he gave The Dibbcast and The Dibb
(Tissues needed though!)

Our previous day - Day 4 is a click here away

The whole index - is here

Welcome to ...

Day 5

Monday July 30th.

We were awake from 5, and ‘battled’ until 7 to snooze and just get to a decent time of rest.

There was a still a sense of true excitement in all of us. This is what we were here for and since it was ‘extra magic’ morning we were hoping to start the whole Disney part of the holiday as we meant to go on!

We put yesterday behind us (we had to) and were determined to focus on today – our 19th Wedding anniversary too.

We opted to take the car this morning and as we parked in Dinosaur 33, we were treated to the “All the way to the end of the parking line” treat that AK always seems to bring for us – in acres of free parking spaces we once more got parked closer to the 192 than in any other place on the whole of Disney property ( It’s early and I’m still mulling over yesterday – in case you think I have a hugely grumpy tone!)

However, we did get the tram this morning, just because there was no more boarding being announced and I knew I would get my sack felt more speedily, despite my preferred walking into the park entrance. It might also mean that the sack would be less moist whilst being felt too.

You have to hate these humid Florida mornings!

We had just one intention in our Extra Magic Morning and that was a visit to Flight of Passage. We were not alone...

We timed the wait - a 70 min experience (from park entry to gift shop) through the standby line theming. It was worth every single minute and equally worth getting up for this morning.

As much as I love a Fast Pass, to walk through the standby queue here is actually such a bonus ( at this time of day or close to park closing when the queue time is much less)

As for the ride…. It was worth the early rising and really did signal we were back. We all love Flight of Passage and we equally shared the enjoyment of just what we had spent a year waiting to experience again.

Today, we did not linger though, as we had loads more AK time booked this week.

We returned to Riverside for breakfast, obviously including a couple of beers for later in the day- I’m liking this free beer with each counter service and have also noted that since the boys are on the adult dining plan, we can get a couple of beers each as they just reload on the refillable drinks!

Sounds ridiculous but at nearly $40 for 4 cans this was indeed a really good way of using the Dining Plan to our advantage. I would hasten to add that I put it all through on my band and ensured the boys were sat down at the table and nowhere near the payment part, would also add the cans went in the bag for later in the day!

Might be on my holidays, but a beer at this time of day is not going to happen!

We went for a swim and then forced ourselves out to get changed and
on a bus at 2-25.

We knew that we were pushing it and as the first fast pass time was about to expire, I used the wifi on entry to MK to cancel and then add Haunted Mansion…

As a result the 7 Dwarfs became our first MK ride of the year.

We then headed to Splash Mountain to do something we had a duty to do – it was one moment we had planned after hearing of his passing and something we wanted to do after listening to the Dibbcast that was broadcast as a tribute.

Having listened to every single Dibbcast, having taken part in the Mickey Minute and indeed having had a few mentions as Bon Voyages and a competition win too – we had lost someone who we had shared so many car journeys, Dibb posts, a couple of things he chose to send the boys and indeed a music file that Darrin sorted out for the boys too. His kindness towards us as a family will remain forever. X

I doubt there will ever be a time when we visit WDW or indeed any Disney park throughout this planet and not have a chance to remember him.

Splash Mountain was our moment – his passion and understanding of the history of this ride was so impressive from the very first Dibbcast - link here

I was delighted it was included in the tribute show.

We had brought a couple of resort mugs with a fitting tribute to be enjoyed by two adults and a whole family who were emotional in just doing this.

I know we always do our ride photos and stuff like that, this was different.

We went to toast Geoffa from the top of the drop, just after the hidden side-on Mickey he enjoyed telling everyone about.

The ride photo misses the verbally yelled toast from all of the Walt4it family…

To Geoffa!

In the words of one of my favourite Springsteen songs - Terry’s Song

“Well they built the Titanic to be one of a kind, but many ships have ruled the seas
They built the Eiffel Tower to stand alone, but they could build another if they please
Taj Mahal, the pyramids of Egypt, are unique I suppose
But when they built you, brother, they broke the mold”

Thank you so much Geoff - your memory will live on with us forever. xxxx

Refillable mugs drained of toasting liquids and a moment of reflection as we exited.
We just took a bit of time to compose ourselves – we needed to.

A pause of reflection, is difficult to put into words. x

Our Splash Mountain journey was a strange one however, we were stopped for a long time and then the lights came on- we were thinking we were not going to get our chance to toast Geoff.

and then Josh ended up getting wet again!

Big Thunder Mountain was our next stop and it was just 4-05!
We even got back row without even asking.

We picked up some Popcorn to stave off the hunger and had a
walk to our Space Mountain FP where the exit had been closed and a detour and a half created

then a visit to the People Mover.

A quick walk across to Pirates - which seemed even better than ever. Josh got wetter than ever before too!

There has been some serious work done on this ride and it really did add to the whole experience- It also meant that we needed to go back and enjoy it a little more than we have possibly ever done in previous trips.

Now keeping in mind that we had started the day early we had also forgotten one main thing about using the Dining Plan – you need to graze your snack credits so you don’t end up with loads left at the end buying bags of goofy gummies.

So …

A Dole whip for me and 3 pineapple floats and still 42 snack credits left!

The Boys sat on the rocking chairs amid the Country Bear hoe down

and with the weather closing in we headed to Haunted Mansion.

Our final fast pass and three and a half hours of Magic Kingdom fun. It was exactly that. We also had other plans too.

We had an anniversary dinner to celebrate (19 years for anyone counting and another reason to add the line of you get less for murder!)

And that dinner date meant a trip to Citricos.

We were the last 4 onto the boat from MK and in the Grand Floridian just before 7pm

We stopped for a pre-dinner beer, whilst to Boys had pin swapping adventure- we took note that the wine list in Mizners was significantly less expensive than our previous visit in 2016.

As we settled in, I made my excuses and headed to the check in at Citricos just to explain it was our anniversary and was it possible to have a nice table to enjoy it.

The CM behind the desk was great and really understood what was happening.

This was 40 mins before our reservation, so I kept my fingers crossed.

We once more enjoyed the sound of the band with Joe especially transfixed by the drummer- who also noticed he shared every beat, as we headed to the podium at Citricos – I’m sure it is a drummer thing- they acknowledged each other as we headed to Citricos.

Not even a nod of the head, it was eye contact a raised drum stick and a point of the drumstick – they had not even shared a word.
Drummers of the world unite and take over! They do have a secret language and a shared respect – it really is a drumming thing and something that I only wish I knew half as much as Joe.

My previous trip to the podium, resulted in a 15 minute wait, but the window side seat at the far end of the restaurant was laid out with Mickeys and a special happy anniversary menu and a couple of happy ever after pins.

Result! There is a bit of Disney Magic left in the WDW!

Things were going well, until our sever became rather detached from us once we explained we were on the dining plan and would like the boys to have a kids meal, which we would pay for out of pocket - Whilst this did not detract from the whole night, she did herself out of a couple of extra glasses of wine that would have added to the tip.
Despite the cost of food and DDP too, her tip was rather much less than the server who had gone that extra mile last night at Sanaa.

All that good work done by the podium and she left us hanging for the whole service.

Anyway back in that moment…

- we decided against an appetiser and ordered, eventually.

The food was amazing

The kids had steak and despite Josh’s protestations that there was not enough of it, it hit the spot.

Alison had the beef fillet which was beautiful - cooked to perfection and melt in the mouth.

I had the scallop risotto - it was exquisite - full of flavour and delicious to eat.

As we awaited dessert we had a great view of part of the fireworks from MK- not quite the same experience that Narcoosees has to offer but it was good all the same.
(music was needed along with the lights dimming)

Dessert was exceptional - Alison and Josh shared the banana torte which was enormous, I had the cheese and Joe an ice cream sundae dish. They also gave us an anniversary ice cream too.

The whole food experience tonight was superb, top quality food enjoyed by all.

The ambiance was excellent too. A lovely place to eat and an anniversary meal to remember.

We took ourselves to the hotel bus stop with the thought of a late stop at Disney Springs, but as happened last night, a Riverside bus was right next to our stop.

We jumped aboard and as bed beckoned we made a final stop in the food court for the boys to top up their drink cups.

The midnight hour called as the lights went out and from park opening this morning until eyes closing tonight we had enjoyed our first Disney day so much.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings😎

Amidst everything that happened today it was good to know that the youngest of the walt4it family learnt something new today

Joe’s quote of the day- "Do ducks fly? I never knew that!"

It has been noted for future reference!

Join us for Day 6 which is a click here away

Thanks for reading

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 01:52 AM.
walt4it is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 03:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

A fitting toast to a great man and I'm sure many of us who knew him through the and in person are still raising a glass we did at the Grand Canyon last week all be it was ice cold earl grey tea
He'd have loved some of your food choices
To Geoffa
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A lovely day after the problems of the previous day
Your anniversary meal looks delicious especially the scallops.

A lovely tribute to Geoffa too.
Old 17 Nov 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Mobile

Geoff would have been so touched by this - a lovely tribute ❤️

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! And the flying ducks query made me chortle at the end!
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Phew. I'm relieved that this day turned out to fab, magical even. I'd worried there would be a sourness to the rest of the trip from the previous day.

You made FOP your first ride! What a great idea, 1 ride and then off for breakfast and all is right with the world.

A lovely tribute to Geoffa.it's silly really as I've only ever listened to dibbcast and have not had any interaction with him as you have, but I thought of him too on our very first ride of our holiday this summer, which of course was Splash. Unlike with your family I am a lone dibbcast listener in my household so it was s private thought, as the others weren't even aware why we had to do Splash first and just accepted it as part of the plan!

Hurrah for the dole whip...must not forget snack credits...sort of becomes a mantra!

Shame on your server at Citricos but I'm loving the table decorations and so lovely that the podium check in people listened and then acted on your information. It looks like you had a good spot there by the window.

DUCKS CAN FLY? What about chickens? Perhaps that should be left for another MK first day...

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Happy Anniversary!
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Another great day guys, the anniversary meal looked really tasty.

Sharon

sandshal is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Congratulations on your anniversary and it was a good day in the parks

Joan
Old 18 Nov 18, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

Aw Happy 19th Anniversary 😍 😘 😍

I start counting cars as we go around the bend at AK and watch where the CMs are directing especially if they split you in to 2 lanes, Scott wasn’t too impressed when I barked at him to change lane one morning 😂 it was either that or 192 slot so I went with barking 😂 🤪
We’ve still not done the standby q for FOP but we will one day as there is so much to see.

That was a lovely tribute to Geoffa 👍🏻

A fab 2 park day and that meal at Citricos looks heavenly. So glad the podium was able to sprinkle some magic for you 😍
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List