Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Nov 18, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Has anyone managed to get a good deal on this for 2019? I’ve been browsing car hire for next September and so far I’ve not been able to get a good rate. I did see it for around £500 at one point but I wasn’t in a position to book. Now it’s over £700.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SandLake
Excited about Disney

Arrived at the weekend and picked up a Mercedes GLE350. Quite happy with it, wouldn't say it is anything special.
Even though it has a built-in satnav I tend to use my own and the 12v socket wasn't working but it turned out to be the fuse so I just got one from Walmart.
SandLake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I think there’s enough of a theme here that I’m going to stop updated the OP with what people are given unless someone reports something that’s not on the list.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
SandLake
Excited about Disney

Ended up had a warning light come on on the Mercedes GLE350, complained to Hertz and not too happy that I had to take it back to exchange it but at Clearwater airport they swapped it for an Escalade - and I managed to get another free full tank of fuel out of it!
SandLake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan & Derek
VIP Dibber

Jan & Derek's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We got a Land Rover discovery sport . No hassle , name on the board , go to parking numbered bay and off. A better drive than the traverse from last year.

Derek & Janette
Jan & Derek is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I booked and received an XT5 back at the end of Jan. I think it was around £550 for the 15 days.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida-Sarah
Apprentice Imagineer

Florida-Sarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I should have updated.
In April we had a Land Rover discovery sport. Picked it up from MCO. Had no issues at all. Car was clean and it better condition than vehicles we have rented from Alamo in the past.

WDW: 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x2, 2017, 2018, 2019 x 2

DCL: Disney Dream 2017, Disney Fantasy 2019
Florida-Sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A quick update. Thanks to OP we have a lovely Mercedes. Really nice car to drive. However, we’ve had a few issues with Hertz. To get the good price we had to use the American Express code. We couldn’t link to our hertz account so I could drive too but there was a work around. We had to go to the desk when we arrived. DH was the only named driver, so when we got to the desk I said I also wanted to drive and said I wanted added for free using my AA card. Showed him the card and the temporary AAA card (thanks Lesley). Seemed distracted and disinterested. Stood some time while he rang someone, stood around a bit and not sure what else he was doing. Anyway, said sign here and here etc and go to the VIP area so off we went. They brought round a very nice white Mercedes and off we drove to the barrier. The guy at the barrier asked to see the paperwork and DH’s license but not mine. I said do you want to see mine and he said I’m not on the paperwork! So told him I’d asked to be put on and it was supposed to be sorted. He rang the desk inside and then said yes that’s fine, you’re good to go.

DH drove to Sarasota and he drove the next day. However 3 days later we were driving down to Naples and I hadn’t driven up to this point and said to DH I wasn’t convinced I was a nominated driver. So we found a hertz rental office in Sarasota and popped in. I wasn’t on the rental! I was not a happy bunny. Can you imagine if I’d been driving and had an accident. Doesn’t bear thinking about The guy in the rental office was lovely and added me free of charge - after checking my AA and AAA card, and gave me the new slip with birth DH and my details on.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Spouses don’t have to be named on the booking with hertz if you book direct and are a hertz gold member, but you are covered.
Each time I mention it at the desk and they say there’s no need to do anything, not even flash my wife’s license.

Edited at 08:06 PM.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
Spouses don’t have to be named on the booking with hertz if you book direct and are a hertz gold member, but you are covered.
Each time I mention it at the desk and they say there’s no need to do anything, not even flash my wife’s license.
Hi
I’ve had this conversation with the desk at MCO many times but it is the opposite of the terms of your agreement (my reading of it anyway)

“Authorized Operators

Acceptable Authorized Operators age 25 and older are automatically covered on the Rental Agreement.

Authorized Operators are:

- The employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number).
- The renter's spouse for rentals that originate in California or or Iowa.
- Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.
- There are no fees for Authorized Operators.

Additional Authorized Operators

- Individuals not automatically covered on the Rental Agreement as Authorized Operators noted above may be signed on as an "Additional Authorized Operator" (AAO). AAO's must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.

- Renter and each AAO must be present to sign Rental Agreement, present an acceptable credit card or debit card (if renting city accepts debit cards) in their own name, or a current round-trip ticket (air, train or bus), show valid driver's license, and must be a minimum of 20 years of age. For those 20 through 24 the location's age differential will apply.

Additional Authorized Operators Fees

At corporate and participating licensee locations the additional fee is $13.50 per day with a maximum of $189.00 per rental and per Additional Authorized Operator.

Exceptions

AAA - Spouse/Domestic Partner* of AAA members are not required to have a separate AAA membership in order to receive the free AAO privileges. For other rentals, the AAO fee is also waived when both the renter and the AAO are AAA members. AAA members need to enter their CDP# to receive the AAA benefits.

*Domestic partner: An unmarried partner of the same or opposite sex (not a relative) who permanently resides as part of the same family unit, at the same address as the renter, as validated by the address on the driver's license.

USAA - No charge for qualified additional operators who are USAA members when signing on to a USAA rental when booking includes USAA discount number.”

I would not be happy relying on word of mouth from an agent that it is ok.
As mini mouse found out the spouse should be on the rental agreement with no charge but most of the staff don’t know/ cant be bothered how to do it.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List