Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 6 Oct 18, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
It was a BA Booking - and in the states I was in, there were a lot of toll roads. Most seemed to be EZ Toll if I recall and some had no cash option. My hire car from Baltimore had no Transponder.

The most expensive tolls were bridge to Staten Island, $15, and I think it was washington bridge from New Jersey to the coast - also $15 - I paid cash.

I must admit - I was in two minds using cash - thinking I might be double billed - and pay per plate prices were almost double the toll charge.

Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
Toll wise if you go to e-tolls.com you should be able to view the itemised tolls, and a breakdown of the admin fees.
Thank you for that site - never knew about it - I only have 3 toll charges so far - but may get more.

For the difference in rental price from pre-payment voucher - I have contacted Avis regarding this.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)

Edited at 04:33 PM.
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

My Avis tolls fell onto my CC yesterday

2 separate charges one for £25.32 & the other for £18.61, i've contacted them on twitter to ask for a breakdown of the tolls so i'm waiting on their email being sent to me.

They also tried charging me £39 extra for nothing and have said it'll take upto 30 days for the pending charge to lift.
Old 10 Oct 18, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
My Avis tolls fell onto my CC yesterday

2 separate charges one for £25.32 & the other for £18.61, i've contacted them on twitter to ask for a breakdown of the tolls so i'm waiting on their email being sent to me.

They also tried charging me £39 extra for nothing and have said it'll take upto 30 days for the pending charge to lift.
Take a look at e-tolls.com it will show you a breakdown of your tolls. You will need your rental agreement number or your credit card number to do the search.
sparkles18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Conjuror
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Conjuror View Post
On the subject of Avis & Tolls.

Just returned from Orlando and used Avis car rental for the first time, been going to Florida since 1992 so more than familiar with car hire & toll roads. Anyway pulled up at the first Toll Plaza on SR 417 (ensured transponder was switch off when leaving the garage) headed for the Pay Toll, Change Receipts. The attendant said no need to pay as you have a transponder, yes but I have it switched off, no its on, ok ill pay and can I get a receipt, he said you will pay twice, I’ll pay anyway. On to second Pay Toll, basically same conversation.
The final Toll Plaza was an exit toll of 75 cents, threw my cash (3 quarters) into the collection bin but the coins were all rejected, threw in some more quarters but all rejected, put my hand down to the rejected coin tray to find it full with rejected coins, grabbed handful and threw them back in to the bin but all rejected so drove on through the toll with a no pay.
I have been back home for some 2 weeks but on checking my bank account yesterday, I notice a charge from Avis for Toll & Bridges Fees of £18.27 ($23.65). I suppose in the end I did drive through an exit toll without paying but I am curious as to the charge. Is this for using the transponder although as mentioned it was defiantly in the off position, pay by plate or toll violation?
The £18.27 is not a problem when you look at the holiday cost but curios as to the charge, will investigate further.
For anyone who is interested in the above, the exit toll I eventually drove through does not appear on my e-Toll Receipt but both cash tolls with receipts do, so the attendant was right in saying that I would pay twice for the toll.

Edited at 12:08 PM.
Conjuror is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparkles18 View Post
Take a look at e-tolls.com it will show you a breakdown of your tolls. You will need your rental agreement number or your credit card number to do the search.
Because of changing car during the hire they've charged me the $19.75 twice
Old 10 Oct 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Luke_
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Because of changing car during the hire they've charged me the $19.75 twice
I'd challenge it back to them, the terms state $19.75 per rental period, not your fault if they gave you a defective vehicle!
Luke_ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
I'd challenge it back to them, the terms state $19.75 per rental period, not your fault if they gave you a defective vehicle!
Done that already on Twitter, also found that they've charged me for fuel after asking them to cancel that charge when i swapped car over and topped up outside MIA rental returns & the guy verified it was full.

Pretty sure that'll be my first & last Avis hire...was a nice car too
Old 30 Oct 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
I challenged the charge at the end of the rental (not the toll charge) by email. Reply today

I have checked your rental details and our records show that the extra charge on your rental is referring to a rate difference. Please note that I have refunded this extra charge back to your American Express ending xxxx. The refund of 17.74 GBP (21.81 USD) will appear on your account within 5-7 business days. I am sorry for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Bet they are making some money off this.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Done that already on Twitter, also found that they've charged me for fuel after asking them to cancel that charge when i swapped car over and topped up outside MIA rental returns & the guy verified it was full.

Pretty sure that'll be my first & last Avis hire...was a nice car too
I had to change a car with faulty 12 volt socket in San Fran - I had not fueled it before I took it back - no charge was made for fuel. I've had rentals from Avis last 4 years. Every year good apart from last year at MCO when we were downgraded. But this was dealt with excellently by BA when I complained.
Old 5 Nov 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Hi Georgemac,
I have also challenged the charge on my Cc for $14.67 told by Avis staff at MCO originally that it was due to picking the car up 2 hrs late (oh really ! ) then told Oh sorry its due to the exchange rate...I have now contacted Avis asking for my money back, can I ask how long for you between contacting Avis and getting a satisfactory reply please..
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List