Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 27 Oct 18, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

Help with AP's and FP's.

Hi all,

Whilst I'm a fairly regular visitor to Orlando (every 3 yrs or so and last in 2015), I haven't visited any Disney parks since 2005 (excluding Disney Springs). I am aware of the continuous rise in car parking charges and the changes to the FP system, but need a refresher on it all for a visit next October.

I've read here that AP's include free parking. My question relating to this is, if we purchased our Disney tickets prior to travelling and one of them was an AP, will the car load of five people get free parking?

My last experience of FP's was to insert your park ticket at a FP machine at a given ride and choose a time slot to return. You could have three running concurrently. What's the system now and is there a charge?

Last question, is there a similar ticket upgrade option for Universal tickets that would allow free parking for a single ticket upgrade?

By all means, share any other changes since 2005 that might have an impact to our holiday plans.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 28 Oct 18, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So yes everyone gets free parking in one vehicle. What happens is your first entrance is refunded as a gift card once you pick up your AP at the front of the park.

The new FP system is you prebook online 30 days in advance if staying offsite or 60 if onsite (I think it is). You can book 3 fastpasses per day per person and they have to be at the same park. You can then on the day book an additional fastpass.

Universal has an upgrade to a premier pass which we were quoted as around $170 on top of a 14 day UK ticket a few weeks back that includes free parking. Whether it's worth it will depend on how many days you are going to Universal. Parking here is the same as Disney ($25) and you only get free parking after your first visit where as Disney give you the money back as a gift card for your first parking.
Old 28 Oct 18, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

In addition to free AP parking - one major perk of having an AP is the various discounts around the resort. The last time I went in February this year, I could get 20% off at a lot of Disney merchandise locations, and 10% off at a number of dining locations. It adds up quite quickly!
Old 28 Oct 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

AP holders can only book 7 days FP’s at a time.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

Thanks everyone. To confirm some ball park figures then, if we visit Disney locations on 8 days x $25 per visit parking = $200, and say another $100 for the other discount opportunities, the cost of one AP has to come in at less than $300 for it to be worthwhile?

We're unlikely to make use of it as a true AP with a 2nd trip within 12 months but thought there were other benefits to be had if we were a bit cunning.

Thanks for the Universal tip too.

Mike.
Old 29 Oct 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mike_Swannick View Post
Thanks everyone. To confirm some ball park figures then, if we visit Disney locations on 8 days x $25 per visit parking = $200, and say another $100 for the other discount opportunities, the cost of one AP has to come in at less than $300 for it to be worthwhile?

We're unlikely to make use of it as a true AP with a 2nd trip within 12 months but thought there were other benefits to be had if we were a bit cunning.

Thanks for the Universal tip too.

Mike.
Yes so $300 more than the 14 day ticket and you will have a good deal. Anywhere near that I would still probably consider it.

We go annually to Disney and this year was the first year we even considered doing it as we know our trips are both going to be within the 12 month period. It has never quite worked out good enough to do for parking and discounts as always been around $400 more than the cost of the ticket.
Old 29 Oct 18, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
You would also get one free magic band with your AP, but imo if you are not going to revisit within 12 months then I don't think it's really worth it.

Disney AP is expensive -
Platinum pass $894 (no water parks)
Platinum plus pass $994 (inc water parks)
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

Thanks everyone.
Old 29 Oct 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I've read here that AP's include free parking. My question relating to this is, if we purchased our Disney tickets prior to travelling and one of them was an AP, will the car load of five people get free parking?
One Annual Pass will cover parking for one car. So you only need one AP to get free parking for your family of 5.

For non-DVC members and non-Floridian residents, Disney sell two different APs - the Platinum pass and the Platinum Plus pass. The Platinum Plus pass does not include access to the waterparks and mini-golf whereas the Platinum Plus pass does.

Note that the cost to upgrade to the cheaper Platinum pass costs around $450. That's about the same at 18 days worth of parking. It's probably only worth upgrading if you're thinking of visiting Florida twice in one year.

My last experience of FP's was to insert your park ticket at a FP machine at a given ride and choose a time slot to return. You could have three running concurrently. What's the system now and is there a charge?
I'm not sure which fastpass system you're remembering - it sounds like an amalgamation of the old and new system?

In the old paper fastpass system, you inserted your park ticket into a FP machine and got given a predetermined return time - you couldn't choose the time slot. And the only way to get a second FP was to wait after the return time on the first FP had passed (and to get a third FP you'd have to wait until after the return time on the second FP. And so on). Usually people didn't have 3 running concurrently.

In the new fastpass system, you can book up to 3 fastpasses per person per day before you travel and you can choose the time slots you want (subject to availability, of course). You do this all online via Disney's website or app - so you can book can do this using a smartphone, iPad, laptop, or PC. Once you've used the first 3 prebooked fastpasses, you can book additional ones on the day either using a mobile device as before or one of the kiosks in the park. You don't insert your tickets into any FP machines any more.

There's more information here:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Dis...s--p-1042.html

There is no additional charge to use Disney's fastpass system. It's included with all Disney tickets.

Last question, is there a similar ticket upgrade option for Universal tickets that would allow free parking for a single ticket upgrade?
Universal also sell Annual Passes. They do 4 different types of Annual Passes - Seasonal, Power, Preferred, Premier. If you want free parking then you need to buy either a Preferred or Premier AP. The Power AP gives you 50% off the cost of regular parking.

There's more info about the benefit's of Universal's Annual passes on Universal's website here:

universalorlando/web...omo/index.html

Like with Disney's APs, one Preferred or Premier AP is good for a whole car.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:17 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Unfortunately, unless you are a DVC member, it'll cost you more than $300 to upgrade to a Disney AP.

Currently, a 14-day Disney ticket is around £380 = $490. A Disney Platinum Pass costs $894+tax = $952. So the cost to upgrade should be roughly around $460. You may get it a bit cheaper depending on the CM you ask, but unlikely to get it $160 cheaper.

Now, if you were thinking of spending about $1000 on merchandise and $700 on food plus parking on 8 days then it might be worthwhile upgrading.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List