Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Oct 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tj28 View Post
We were there this year with Dorian. On the one hand we had the uncertainty about whether we were going to be hit, on the other hand, parks were so quiet we got so much done!
BA holidays were pretty good and let us change flights with no charge. We only had uncertainty when MCO said they were going to be shut but BA said they were still flying. To be fair, BA were the ones that were right in the end!
BA were rubbish for me. I called up to change my flight a few hours before FLL closed and the call handler didn't know and wouldn't accept that Fort Lauderdale was in Florida. This was at the point FLL was due to take a hit from Dorian. She kept repeating about you can only change if your flight is from Miami, Tampa or Orlando even though FLL was clearly listed on the BA website advisory and if anything at this point, looked like it would be the most affected.

I was on the phone for about 45 minutes (luckily I was sat by the pool at the Beach Club) and eventually had to speak to a manager but it was a horrible experience trying to change flights with them. I guess its pot luck who you get.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

We always go in September for DH's birthday, been both early & late. Have been there when even the locals have said the heat & humidity have been extreme & been there when we have had to remove our shoes to wade thru the storm water to catch the bus! Pays your money n takes your chance. Never let the possibility of hurricanes ruin it. Hurricane time is from 1st June to November any way!
Old 14 Oct 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We were there when Dorian passed us by. Virgin Holidays kept us updated at least twice a day for 4 days. We stayed on Disney and they were great posting updates on the tv and at reception, they even put on more hotel activities to keep everyone entertained.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Doesn't bother us in September.

Irma in 2017 resulted in 2 days chilling in the room - but given we were in the nicest hotel we've ever had in Orlando, not the worst thing in the world. Staff checked in, but was unnecessary. I ended up sleeping in the second day and missed most of the hurricane... ear plugs and all that.

2018's close shave simply improved the weather and thinned out the crowds. So the "best" (as good an impact a hurricane can have I suppose) and worst case scenarios one year after the next imo - now I have no fear. What will happen will happen. Back when we used to go in summer we had more than a few days rained off - including water park days. No different to calling days off due to a hurricane.

The only thing that would bother me is problems getting there or back, but I'd simply have to extend the trip.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gav
slightly serious Dibber

I haven't read through the whole thread due to time constraints but first and foremost - don't worry. You'll get a load of varying replies but I have been 4 times in September and had hurricane threats twice. Neither time did it impact my holiday other than juggling a couple of days around.

We are just back and were there from 17 Sept to 5 October. In the whole time it rained no more than 10 minutes during daylights hours. It's uncommon and you will usually get a downpour at some point most days, however given the heat this year I was nearly disappointed we did't get it!
Gav is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

As per your title "Worst Case"

Im guessing the worst case could be a week before you travel, a category 5 passes straight across Orlando, wiping out all of humanity in the area, only leaving the airport in tacked. This would mean VA would still fly over, leaving you standing in the middle of a barren desolate wasteland.

Another 'bad' scenario would be a gusty day causes something to get stuck in the pilots eye a few days before you travel, making the pilot to miss read his instruments and get lost.

What about you arrive in Magic Kingdom to find that during the exact same period, Mickey Mouse has taken his annual holiday.

I would advise to not worry so much about 'what could happen', otherwise it will be a very long list. We have been a lot during August and September and never had an issue. 2 years ago, we had 2 whole weeks with no rain.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL

Edited at 03:30 PM.
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

I also want to add, the whole of Florida and Orlando can be affected, not just WDW

Many hurricanes pass by without any real affect to Orlando, and you get the tail of some rain and a little wind. Only occasionally do they interfere with daily life in Orlando.

Originally Posted by mikeishere View Post
as I believe that’s when they get the most hurricanes in WDW.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Mid September is peak of the hurricane season - this year there were exactly ZERO hurricanes impacting Florida during that time. It's as rare as hens teeth for a hurricane to hit WDW...yes, they might change operating hours if the winds go above a certain level or weather turns to a tropical storm level & has a risk of lightning risks.

You could have inclement weather occur at anytime, you're just as likely to have issues with weather in the UK as you are in Florida as you're on an island that hangs out into the atlantic and picks up lots of weather coming across from the USA & Canada.

Just plan your holiday, don't worry about the weather if you did then you'd never leave the house...what will be, will be

Edited at 03:42 PM.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Hurricane time is from 1st June to November any way!
I know people often trot that out - but when actually was the last time there was a hurricane that hit Florida in June or July ?

There has only EVER been one - in July 2005. Also only 6 ever in Aug.

The overwhelming majority are in Sept or Oct.

Edited at 05:20 PM.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DebsMK
Very Serious Dibber

BA were very good when we flew on 1 September this year. They gave us the option to cancel or change our flights due to Dorian right up until the day before we flew. As we know the hurricane stayed in one place longer than expected so we decided to go. The only thing that changed was the flight path, we flew inland over Washington, New York, Carolinas etc without any problems until we reached Tampa where there was a huge storm! We ended up taking a trip around the Gulf of Mexico for almost an hour lol! The other thing was that most of the shops in the area of the Gulf Coast we were going to had run out of water etc. Luckily a very kind American neighbour got us some water so we were not without. It took the shops a day or so to get stocked up with water, bread etc. I'm not sure with all the uncertainty and worry before we left if I would purposely book in September again, but if I had no choice I wouldn't miss my Florida holiday.

Back soon!
DebsMK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List