Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I think the Dunns deserve their day in court and going through the stages would hopefully give them some closure and a chance to grieve without distraction. As a mother I would want my son's life and death recognised not swept under the carpet.
Totally Sue. You would need justice and answers for your child
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by may View Post
I think the words here are quite tricky. I agree with RachaelC this was categorically an accident because the opposite of accidental is deliberate and I don't think anyone believes for a minute that she deliberately drove into the poor young man. Would more 'care' have made it less likely? Almost certainly but that doesn't render it non accidental / deliberate.
In legal terms RTA/road traffic accident hasn’t been officially used for years with the term RTC/road traffic collision being preferred. Whilst generally nobody suggests that these sort of incident are caused deliberately or maliciously the term accident suggest that something happens by chance or without cause. Although unintentional most incidents are caused by negligence on behalf of at least one party

Edited at 05:22 PM.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

It was an accident but she still needs to to called to account for it here!

Hands up all those who would not pursue it had their child been killed and the perp not been call to account in court !

I 100% would be doing the same if not more than that boys parents. Had I caused the death of another persons child I would hang my head in shame; but I would do it in court, not run away or allow myself to be whisked away from doing so.
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
It was an accident but she still needs to to called to account for it here!

Hands up all those who would not pursue it had their child been killed and the perp not been call to account in court !

I 100% would be doing the same if not more than that boys parents. Had I caused the death of another persons child I would hang my head in shame; but I would do it in court, not run away or allow myself to be whisked away from doing so.
100%. That boy and his family deserve a full and proper investigation.
Nobody has suggested she caused the accident deliberately but somebody has acted negligently otherwise there the incident wouldn’t have happened if all parties were following the rules and laws
Old 16 Oct 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
It was an accident. I stand by that, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think she should avoid the consequences of that accident. But I also don’t believe that she chose to “flee” from the UK.

That decision was harmful for both the Dunn’s and also for the suspect herself. She could now never be able to step foot in the UK again as a result of her being removed by the military, whereas without their reaction she would have most likely been facing a relatively light penalty of points and a large fine.
I suspect it would most definitely be more than a relatively light penalty of points and a large fine. She has accepted that she drove on the wrong side of the road. I would guess that this would attract a charge of death by reckless driving or at least death by careless or inconsiderate driving which thankfully carry serious consequences
Old 16 Oct 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
It was an accident. I stand by that, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think she should avoid the consequences of that accident. But I also don’t believe that she chose to “flee” from the UK.

That decision was harmful for both the Dunn’s and also for the suspect herself. She could now never be able to step foot in the UK again as a result of her being removed by the military, whereas without their reaction she would have most likely been facing a relatively light penalty of points and a large fine.
Why don't you believe she chose to flee
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

As mentioned previously officially the police do not use the word accident but collision so it's a RTC. They do not believe these things are accidents even in inclement weather
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Just last month there was an American woman jailed for causing a similar accident resulting in deaths in the north of Scotland so I wonder if that could have played a part in the decision to spirit her out of the country. America have previous on the likes of this and there’s an article on bbc news today about a soldier from my area who was run over and killed on an American base. The general in charge has decided that there will be no prosecutions despite those involved not using the correct equipment to transport a load. Outwith the military this would be a corporate manslaughter charge. As a nation they really do seem to see themselves as above the law in other countries.
Personally if it was me I’d have accepted the invitation to meet her, then told her exactly what I thought about her cowardice.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I’ve driven on the wrong side of the road several times and thank all the various gods that everything was ok.

I think diplomatic immunity is a good thing, would we be so quick to judge if some some soldier was facing beheading in Saudi Arabia for a misdemeanour? I know had I done similar I’d be off as well.

Old 16 Oct 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
I’ve driven on the wrong side of the road several times and thank all the various gods that everything was ok.

I think diplomatic immunity is a good thing, would we be so quick to judge if some some soldier was facing beheading in Saudi Arabia for a misdemeanour? I know had I done similar I’d be off as well.
It’s not exactly like for like. Immunity is supposed to prevent facing trumped up charges for political means, not evading justice. If the US can ask and expect other countries to drop immunity then they have to afford other countries the same courtesy.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List