Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 21 Oct 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkrose
Getting Excited

What, no bears? - Canadian Rockies Road Trip Aug/Sept 2019 - Day 2

Index is here

Day 2 – Monday 26 August 2019 – Anniversary day.

Vancouver – Capilano Suspension Bridge

So today was our 30th Wedding Anniversary. DH had brought the cards we had been sent by family and friends with him in his hand luggage so we opened them and put them on the little table in the sitting area.

We had breakfast in the hotel again then headed out towards the public library. I had read online that there was a free shuttle bus to Capilano Suspension Bridge from Canada Place but then found on TripAdvisor that there was also a bus that went from Library Square. The bus did stop to pick up at a couple of hotels on the way but, as the library was just up from our hotel, this saved us the walk to Canada Place. We boarded the first bus at 9am and were at the Suspension bridge car park by 9.40am.

Again, I had bought tickets in advance from their website so we could just walk straight in. The cost was £98.60 CAD. We picked up a map which was also a “passport” and at the various attractions you fed your map into an embosser and it embossed a design for the particular attraction into the map.

Initially there was hardly anyone on the bridge which I was quite pleased about as I needed the time to be able to walk across at my pace without causing a queue behind me. The bridge is 450 feet (137m) long and 230 feet (70m) high and it did wobble as people walked across.

Once we were over on the other side we then followed the Treetops Adventure which is a series of seven suspension bridges attached to eight 30 ton, 250 year old Douglas-firs some 110 feet (33.5m) above the forest floor.

We also did the woodland walk and by now it was around 11.30am so we made our way back across the suspension bridge towards the entrance. There was now quite a queue to cross the bridge so we were glad we had come early.

We walked round to the start of the Cliffwalk which is a cantilevered and suspended walkway jutting out from the granite cliff face above the Capilano River. We followed the cliffwalk taking pictures as we went and came back round again to the entrance.

By now it was lunchtime so we had a look at the dining options available but decided there was nothing we fancied so we headed back to the car park and instead of going back to Library Square got the bus back to Canada Place.

We went to the food court in the Waterfront Centre again and after lunch I called home for a quick chat with the kids. It was now 25c and the Disney cruise ship was in port so we took a couple of photos. I particularly liked the detail on the stern.

Thanks to the tip in Gunna’s trip report I had made dinner reservations at Blue Hat Bistro (formerly Bistrot 101) so we headed back to our hotel to shower and change.

Our reservation was for 6.45pm and we had worked out we could take the number 50 bus to Granville Island from Granville Street/Robson Street. We walked from the hotel to Granville Street and had to wait a while for a bus to come. I think we had just missed one but it didn’t matter as we had given ourselves plenty of time. The fare was $3 CAD each. Once we had crossed the bridge over False Creek I knew we wanted to get off at West 2nd Avenue. I saw the sign for West 2nd Avenue so rang the bell and jumped off but we had gotten off a stop too early. We were temporarily disorientated but then soon worked out where we were and found our way to the restaurant. It was only 6.30pm and I apologised that we were early but they seated us all the same (it wasn’t really busy to be fair).

We ordered an Aperol spritz to drink which came with home-made crisps and we were also given a basket of home-made breads.

We both ordered the Tuna salad to start followed by the 6oz wild BC salmon fillet and then Quebec Maple sugar tart for dessert. I was wondering whether this was becoming a theme of the holiday as we had now done it two days in a row.

The tuna was done just how I like it. I wasn’t sure what DH would think as he likes things “cooked” but he ate it all.

Everything was delicious apart from the fact that the pastry on the tart was very crisp making it rather hard to cut. However I wouldn’t really complain about that as the dishes are prepared by the students (who we could see beavering away in the kitchen) and at $91.90 CAD for the whole meal it was a steal!

After dinner we wandered towards Granville Market but everything was now closed so we headed back to the bus stop. I had a $5 note and $1 coin ready but this is when we discovered they only take coins. Fortunately the driver took pity on us and let us ride back to town for free. All in all it had been a lovely Anniversary.
pinkrose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Happy Anniversary! Really interested in reading this day as I aim to go to the bridge on our first morning as we'll be awake really early. Like you, the idea is to get there early so the bridge isn't crowded and rocking!

Love the look of the restaurant and off to Google the menu now!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Glad you enjoyed Bistrot 101 (that was) we loved it there and the students worked really hard, plus it’s great value for the quality of food.

Looking forward to reading more of your report.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkrose
Getting Excited

Hi Gunna

Yes we had a lovely Anniversary meal there. Thanks for the tip.
pinkrose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
A belated happy anniversary to you both.

It sounds like you had the right idea visiting Capilano Bridge so early. I don’t think we went early enough to avoid everybody else making it move. 🙈
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like a lovely day. I didn’t realise just how much there is to do at capilano

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List