Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Oct 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

Taking prescribed controlled drugs into the USA

I have a medical condition and I have to take Tramadol when I am having a bad day of pain with my condition.

My doctor told me to phone the airline to find out what they require.

So I phoned virgin Atlantic and they put me through to their special assistance line, and I found myself talking to a lady who was asking me questions like she was my doctor! Asking me how many tablets I take a day etc It was a frustrating phone call because I was clearly talking to someone in another country and the language barrier and delay in speaking was driving me mad.

She told me I need to get a letter from my doctor listing all my medications and why I am bringing them into the USA. She then did say shes added another 5kg on to my hand luggage for me - so I can't grumble at that.

So I phone my doctor back and I get told it will be a charge of £105 ! What!

Is this true? What have other people done?

I might just phone the USA embassy in London and check because the last thing I want is to get to MCO immigration and being a solo traveller, get grilled to pieces for carrying 'drugs' !
Old 22 Oct 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

I take tramadol, Gabapentin and morphine patches, we also carry rescue meds (which are also controlled) and approximately 1000mls in various other meds. You do not require a doctors letter for the US in 20+ trips we’ve never needed a doctor’s letter. Ensure your medication is pharmacy labelled with your name (we always carry unopened meds) and carry it all in your hand luggage. You don’t need to declare it when you enter the US but you will be asked at security in the UK to put it through the scanner separately.
Old 22 Oct 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

thank you for replying... that's great news for me.

yes I will be taking them in the boxes still and if I need to take anything on the plane I will just take one tablet and keep that strip in my handbag until landing. I have no intention of declaring anything but say if for example they went through my hand luggage they would find them... but I will keep them all in the boxes with my named labelled on

thanks again
Old 22 Oct 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SunbreezeFL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by geniefan View Post
thank you for replying... that's great news for me.

yes I will be taking them in the boxes still and if I need to take anything on the plane I will just take one tablet and keep that strip in my handbag until landing. I have no intention of declaring anything but say if for example they went through my hand luggage they would find them... but I will keep them all in the boxes with my named labelled on

thanks again
Take a copy of your prescription as well as the boxes just in case - I take so many pills (including controlled) I rattle but I’ve not ever been stopped. Have a great time 🙂
SunbreezeFL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

I dont have a copy of the prescription... my doctor took them off my repeat prescription and the unopened boxes I have were given to me in august I think. but they are still sealed over and unopened.

I'll have to go without the paper prescription. at the end of the day its not like I'm taking hundreds or thousands of drugs into the country and the likelihood of me even taking them is slim, but its a prevention rather than cure jobby!
Old 22 Oct 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

How many boxes of Tramadol? labelled with August? Not on a repeat? Travelling in November, alone.

With the best will in the world, if I were a customs/immigration official I would be grilling you.

Would take documentation to be honest.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

I've got a medical appointment next week for a medication review so I will be asking for it to go back on my repeat. it was taken off because doctors dont like giving out tramadol anymore - which I understand, but I've got an incurable condition that Ive now had 9 operations for.
Old 22 Oct 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by geniefan View Post
I've got a medical appointment next week for a medication review so I will be asking for it to go back on my repeat. it was taken off because doctors dont like giving out tramadol anymore - which I understand, but I've got an incurable condition that Ive now had 9 operations for.
Good idea, then you have a recent official document with it on.

even if they do not put it on repeat, but just give you a one off, take a photo of the green prescription or the dispensary token (bit that you sign at the pharmacy) if it is electronic transferred.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
How many boxes of Tramadol? labelled with August? Not on a repeat? Travelling in November, alone.

With the best will in the world, if I were a customs/immigration official I would be grilling you.

Would take documentation to be honest.
Sorry but I think you’re giving incorrect information, unless of course you have experienced such a grilling? I’ve traveled with medication issued probably six months in advance of travel and never had a problem.

Ive also never taken a prescription list and again not been questioned. To put it into perspective I travel with a large trolley bag full to bursting with medications and haven’t in 20+ trips been even glanced at suspiciously
Old 22 Oct 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
Sorry but I think you’re giving incorrect information, unless of course you have experienced such a grilling? I’ve traveled with medication issued probably six months in advance of travel and never had a problem.

Ive also never taken a prescription list and again not been questioned. To put it into perspective I travel with a large trolley bag full to bursting with medications and haven’t in 20+ trips been even glanced at suspiciously
fair enough, just echoing guidelines from NHS and gov.uk.