Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 6 May 20, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
livvipivvi
Trying for More Ears

Question Travel Insurance and rearranging a booking

Hiya all,

With our July break looking near impossible, I'm looking at our options and at potential dates to move to.

Does anyone know how DLP make the changes? Do they cancel your current booking and create a new break, or do they keep your existing reservation and original booking date and simply move the check-in date? (I hope that makes sense lol)

I'm just thinking that if DLP cancel and create a new booking, our travel insurance and it's terms wouldn't stand, as the date of the reservation would be during the outbreak and after the insurance companies withdrew all rights to claim because of Covid. Whereas if DLP simply changed the check-in date on the existing booking, would the travel insurance still be valid as the original booking date would still stand?

I'm thinking of trying to change to October, but would have to rethink if our current insurance policy would be voided.

TIA
August 2018 WDW - POFQ & AK
July 2020 DLP - NPB
livvipivvi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

We only ever get annual insurance so I cannot comment on rebooking. However I would guess that if you have single trip insurance then the original trip would be void and a fresh one needed. Give them an email and ask.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
livvipivvi
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
We only ever get annual insurance so I cannot comment on rebooking. However I would guess that if you have single trip insurance then the original trip would be void and a fresh one needed. Give them an email and ask.
Hiya, thank you for replying 🙂.

Sorry, I should have said that our insurance is an annual policy too (through the bank). If a holiday is cancelled then a single trip policy would no longer stand, as its connected to that trip.

My concerns are because we’d be booking a trip now, while all this is happening, for say October or December, so if we did need to claim due to a second wave of Covid or because the Airline or Disney are still not properly up and running yet, wouldn’t the insurance company have grounds to not pay out because we booked when there were travel restrictions in place with no end date announced, so were already aware of the risks? 🤔🤷🏻

As this has been an issue for a while now, I just wondered if anyone with earlier breaks, who’s already been affected and been through this knew where they stood their insurance company while rebooking.

Edit: I think it would be a good idea to check with my insurance company before making any changes though, thank you 😊

Edited at 02:18 PM.
livvipivvi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Which bank are you with? I know Nationwide changed their policy towards the end of March to say any bookings made after that date would not be covered for covid-19 related cancellations etc because it was now a known risk. I would expect other insurers to take the same approach.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
livvipivvi
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Stubbs86 View Post
Which bank are you with? I know Nationwide changed their policy towards the end of March to say any bookings made after that date would not be covered for covid-19 related cancellations etc because it was now a known risk. I would expect other insurers to take the same approach.
We are with Halifax. I booked the holiday in February, so still have full coverage on the policy, I phoned them to check when the company’s started to make changes to the terms in March, so I’m trying to hold onto my current booking (with Feb booking date). I’m just not sure where we’ll stand if we make changes to the dates with DLP 🤷🏻
Old 10 May 20, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mcfly
Looking for my Ears

Mobile

Good question, I’d be interested in the answer too
mcfly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
livvipivvi
Trying for More Ears

Hiya,

I’ve spoken to DLP and moved our booking from July to February 2021, so just thought I’d put a quick update on here for anyone who’s looking because they have the same concerns 🙂

When I spoke to CS, I asked if they would be amending our current reservation and not cancelling it and rebooking our new dates from scratch. They said that the new confirmation wouldn’t include any reference to the first booking, but confirmed that it’s an amendment and that our booking number would remain the same. I was happy with this as my thinking is that so long as the booking number stays the same, I have evidence on my original confirmation that the break was booked before the insurance company changed its policy in March to exclude Covid related claims.

I made the changes and received the new confirmation later in the day.

On reading it, I also found that it says this, which will (hopefully) help us in case of any claims. 🤞🏼 We won’t need it.

We just have to keep making the payments on our reward current account now, so that the annual insurance policy still stands when we are due to travel 🙂. We were going to cancel the reward account a few months ago...glad we decided to keep it now.

Edited at 12:17 PM.