Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Oct 16, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Toddling Back to Florida May 2016 Day 5: Swimming and Hollywood Studios

Its been a while since I last posted, I think the combination of the post holiday blues and realising that we were not going to be going in 2017 really put me off coming to the Dibb...
Anyway, now we are going in 2017 after all, my mojo has returned. So without further delay, here is day 5.

Given Evie’s habit of waking up ridiculously early, I was a little nervous how she would manage today as Typhoon Lagoon was not opening until 10. Fortunately she ended up waking just before 7am, no doubt as a result of being so late to bed the previous night. Breakfast consisted of two bowls of Rice Krispies for Evie (and last night’s pudding for Helen and I). It was still a long time until the park opened, so we distracted Evie with her new Duplo, followed by watching Octonaughts on Disney Jr (a little strange watching it partially dubbed into American).

Getting ready to leave the hotel was a huge battle with Evie, who had decided that she hated sun cream and that it was perfectly acceptable to leave the hotel only wearing a nappy. In the end after finally getting her covered in sun cream, we gave up and wrapped her in a towel and headed for the car. Thankfully the change of scenery helped convince her to put on her swim suit and soon we were driving towards Typhoon Lagoon. Unfortunately this was easier said than done, I knew it was fairly near SSR but not exactly where. Unfortunately there wasn’t any road signs (or wifi to use our phones to find it.) To top it all, when we finally tried the satnav it was playing up refusing to find a signal. At one point as we were getting close to Blizzard Beach Helen suggested changing the plan around, but foolishly I disagreed as I really wanted Typhoon (and we didn’t go there last time). Eventually we managed to find a signpost and got in the right direction.
1_zpsdgis2fpg by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
As we pulled into Typhoon Lagoon there were some very confusing signs, one saying it was open and another directing everyone to Blizzard Beach as it was closed. Driving further up the entrance road it was clear there was a problem, with a cast member and security car blocking the road. Apparently there had been a major technical fault caused by the storm the night before. As the clock was ticking (and we wanted to spend the afternoon in Hollywood Studios) we decided to go back to the hotel pool instead.
2_zpsf0leuoab by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
3_zpsjfoajcfp by Rich Pedder, on FlickrWanting something a little different we decided to head for the Springs pool, Helen and Evie went on ahead and settled in a great spot in the shade near the splash area. While I took the car back to the Grandstand and headed back to the room to pick up our refillable mugs. Unfortunately in dropping the waterpark bag back in the room, I left behind the waterproof camera…
Evie headed straight for the splash zone, and had a great time jumping in the fountains. The only thing I couldn’t understand was what Donald was supposed to do, was water supposed to come out of the urn he is holding?
5_zps99wxpj2h by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
4_zpsdmty9pw8 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
6_zpssescnmgr by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
3a_zps5kypyoze by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
It was now time for a swim, after a quick splash in the pool Evie wanted to have a go on the slide. Unfortunately she has developed a bad habit on slides, where she insists on lying on her front and going down feet first. Net result, a lot of water up the nose! We didn’t have any more luck getting her to do it properly for the rest of the time in the pool. She did however love walking up the steps, at one point pestering me into taking her up the steps to the big slide (before saying she didn’t want to do it.
7_zpsivld2i8w by Rich Pedder, on Flickr

After another swim, we were all feeling a bit peckish so headed over to the pool bar. Helen went for the same toasted cheese and ham sandwich she had chosen on the first night, while I had the cheeseburger flat bread (total cost 2 QS credits and a 6.5$ tip. Evie enjoyed a bit of mummy's sandwich, and then stole her chocolate cake.
8_zps8qzdpgfi by Rich Pedder, on Flickr 9_zpshftcm2sq by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
10_zpsmgalnjna by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
11_zpsfztqvv9l by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
After lunch we decided to call it a day and head back to the room to change ready for Hollywood Studios, pausing on the way out for a quick shower.
12_zpsekc9tbom by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
After playing with her Duplo for five minutes Evie asked for a nap and was soon fast asleep in her push chair (quickly followed by Helen.) At 3 o'clock it was time to wake the sleepy girls, and head down to the bus stop to travel to Hollywood Studios. I had originally planned to drive the car (as I expected large bus queues post Fantasmic), but its so much easier to take a sleepy child on the bus.
13_zpsi892atdg by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
We arrived at the studios and were very pleased to hear that our return bus stop was the closest one to the entrance. Getting off the bus we headed straight for Disney Jr Live (of course with a short wait at security for Helen to be scanned). We were sat right at the front on the left hand side of the theatre; Evie loved every minute of the show and really started to join in well with all the songs.
14_zpsq9oy3zmn by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
15_zps8zacwjgn by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
16_zpslepz2ca0 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
17_zps1vv6pb2z by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
Leaving after the show there was only one place to head for, the Sofia the First character meet. In the queue we quickly changed Evie into her Sofia dress, and it was soon time for Evie to meet her favourite Disney Junior character. She absolutely loved the meet, although Sofia did rather upset the girl who was behind Evie in the queue when she walked off pretending to leave Evie to do the meeting in her place.
18_zps8xvzuyqt by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
18a_zpsgd8g4by7 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
21_zpsmtj91gg4 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
22_zpsg44llmpe by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
19_zps98vdhnsj by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
20_zpscutiapgf by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
Next up was Jake the Neverland Pirate, again Evie, was very happy. Evie ran straight up and threw her arms around him. I’d have rather met Sharkey and Bones, the real stars of the show….
23_zpsasdfrvre by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
24_zpsoz4nwgio by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
Finally it was time to meet Doc McStuffins, unfortunately along the way Evie spotted Clubhouse Minnie (who had a huge queue) and was not impressed to be meeting Doc instead. We planned to come back and do Minnie next time, however with the opening of the new Minnie Mouse location they replaced Clubhouse Minnie with Pluto. A shame as it would have been nice to get a photo of Evie and Minnie in matching dresses.
25_zpspq9ud65r by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
It was now approaching time for our ADR at Mamma Melrose, as we walked over to the restaurant we spotted the Duck of the Day
26_zpswylfn6y5 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
I couldn’t help thinking once we reached the restaurant that this small area comprising the Muppets and the restaurant must be due for demolition as phase2 of Star Wars Land. Much as I like the ride, it’s going to stick out like a sore thumb once the new area of the park is open. We checked in to the restaurant, and I took (and since lost) a few photos of the Star Wars demolition while we waited.
27_zpsnbglpct1 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
We were soon seated and told the waitress that we were on the dining plan and booked for the Fantasmic package. The food was very good, but the portion size was huge. I can't remember which starters we went for, however I do know that Helen went for a seafood pasta dish and I had the steak (both of which were delicious). Evie shared from our plates although was more interested in the bread. To be honest I don’t think the starter was needed given the portion sizes, the desert however was just right. Better still, the waitress also bought out a complementary children's ice cream for Evie so that she didn’t feel left out.
29_zpsglmiqcm0 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
30_zpstd4spkdg by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
31_zpsic0naetb by Rich Pedder, on Flickr 31b_zpsujdeapkc by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
31a_zpsupz9jk46 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
31c_zpsbohsldw0 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
While we were waiting for the bill, Evie discovered that you can use a straw as a whistle (and proceeded to show everybody).
32_zpssayqb75y by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
32a_zpsbb5c0nxv by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
After apologising for the noise, I distracted her with my hat. After picking up our Fantasmic vouchers, and paying the tip (along with paying for Evie’s light up Little Mermaid drink) we headed out into the evening heat and headed towards our Muppets Fastpass.
The Muppets show was looking a bit dated, it could really do with a high definition upgrade. Evie loved the whole show, with the exception of one loud bang towards the end which caused her to grab my hand for reassurance. After the show we paused for a quick photo with Miss Piggy’s fountain.
33_zps6xkz0pnr by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
33a_zpsf3ng0us3 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
Unfortunately during the show I somehow managed to pull something in my back, and was now in rather a lot of pain. Naturally Star Tours sounds like a good idea, so we headed (in my case hobbled) in that direction pausing along the way for Evie to have a play on the speeder.
34_zpsoiuow7ie by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
Star Tours was as good as ever, with my tour comprising elements from the original trilogy, episode 7 and episode 2. However I did get a little annoyed later on that the Force Awakens section and BB8 seem to appear every single time. I also found that the ride was a lot less random than it used to be.
35_zpssqf8zefi by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
While I was on the ride, Helen and Evie had a wander around the area. First pausing to watch a little of the Jedi training, then heading around to the nearby restaurant so that Evie could have a photo in the car.
36_zpsxgmlusho by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
End of Part 1

Edited at 08:51 PM.
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 16, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Continued from Part 1
It was now time for our final fast pass of the day, Toy Story Mania, I love this ride (although it does make me wish I didn’t wear glasses as the 3d never fully works for me.) We were quickly on the ride with Evie sat on Helen’s lap, the first half of the ride Helen was pretty close to my score. However the second half was a different story, I wish we had managed to get a go on this ride without Evie on a lap to make it a bit more of a competition. Of course I won, but I think the score would have been a lot better if I didn't need glasses!

After exiting the ride Helen headed off for a quick restroom break, almost getting flattened by a careless South American child who was running flat out towards Toy Story! Even if she wasn’t pregnant this would have wound Helen up, add in the fact she nearly fell over pregnant, and it explains the hunting down of the parent to have words!

While this was happening, Evie and I headed off to look around Pixar Place. Evie was fascinated by everything and not really paying attention to me and started walking away. A cast member from the face paint stand spotted her and walked over asking if she was ok with glitter. She then gave Evie princess hands, putting some glitter paint on the top of each hand. Evie absolutely loved it, and spent the next half hour showing anyone who came near her, her princess hands.
38_zpss3obt2iy by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
After meeting up with Helen, we joined the queue to meet Woody and Buzz. Evie spent the whole queue playing with a very well behaved Spanish speaking 2 year old who was ahead of her in the line, keeping each other entertained the whole way round.
37_zpsjgkwronh by Rich Pedder, on Flickr

39_zpsazmt4dcr by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
40_zpsyxnfsai7 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
Woody and Buzz were brilliant and kept pulling Evie back for more photos, no doubt much to the dismay of the next person in the queue.
41_zpsjoejj1eb by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
42_zpsq5ctdpvg by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
43_zps6a21gjed by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
Leaving the character meet we bumped into the green army men. After trying (and failing) to teach him how to salute properly, we tried to get a photo with Evie. She was a little nervous at first, but was a lot happier to pose after I walked over with her. As we made to leave, he spotted Evie's autograph book and begged for a signature. I hadn’t realised that they signed, but was happy to fill another page.
IMG_2998_zpskh5oyqyr by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
It was now time to head for Fantasmic, arriving at the stadium just as the gates were opened. We headed straight for the Fastpass check in area and was directed to the Dining Package section in Mickey. These were much better seats than the Jafar section we were in last time. We found a short row which was half full and took up the rest up to the aisle. There was a half hour wait for show to start during which it was a real struggle to keep Evie entertained, fortunately the light up toys we had bought from home did a good job. Once the show started she was enjoying herself a lot more naming the princesses. Evie got a little scared by the villains, until Helen explained that Mickey would be ok. After this every time a villain was shown Evie would start wagging her finger telling them off.
44_zpsar7cdtcd by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
45_zpsm2smsfz6 by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
46_zpsxa7k3t3x by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
47_zps8zhj77pz by Rich Pedder, on Flickr
After the show we were quickly out of the stadium (a lot quicker than expected), got very cross with another idiot driving a mobility scooter far too fast who ended up clipping my heels. It was a shame the Star Wars fireworks were not on until the next day. We soon arrived at the bus stop (which once again had almost no queue for SSR), a bus arrived shortly afterwards and we were soon on our way back to the hotel. Evie fell asleep as we passed Old Key West and fortunately we were able to get her to bed without waking. I had a beer and finished off the day’s notes before turning in myself.

Edited at 08:51 PM.
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List