Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 27 Jun 22, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Question disney transportation with a scooter?

I was wondering how easy it is to navigate disney transportation esp the resort buses when using a scooter?
I'm trying to work out the best plan for our next trip as with all the changes we'll probably end up doing longer days than usual.
Not sure whether to hire one there, do park hire only or take one with me

any advise much appreciated
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Yes is the simple answer. All resort buses are accessible although they only take 2 scooters on most of them and so you might have a short wait for one if there are already 2 onboard. The monorail takes them as does the Skyliner. The boats at international gateway take them although again only limited space and if inconsiderate adults don't put down their strollers it cane mean you have to wait for the next boat (my pet peeve when their kids aren't in the strollers and the space clearly says wheelchair!). The boats at Magic Kingdom to the resorts its hit and miss which take and which don't so you might have a wait.

You can hire at the parks but these tend to be older and less comfortable models according to my sister who uses a scooter when there. They are also a lot more expensive and you can't order in advance so you risk getting to park and none being available.
Old 27 Jun 22, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Taking your own with you is I believe the best option as it would also be the cheapest option, but it does depend on what scooter you already have.

The ones you hire in the parks are expensive and not very easy to manoeuvre, and no guarantee one will be available when you need it.

I used to hire a scooter locally but this too can be a significant extra cost if you already have one of your own you can take.

I take my own Pride Go Go Elite Traveller Plus - 3 wheeler and this is easy to get on the Disney Buses/Boats/Skyliner. Airlines will transport it for free if you let them know in advance.

p.s. If you take your own check the condition of the batteries to hold a charge before you go if you are planning to do full days in the parks. I usually change mine every couple of years. I did have a problem once while I was out there but easily got new batteries locally.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Thanks for he replies
I don’t have one at home at the moment but having been considering one as I’ve been really struggling with walking recently. I haven’t really been going out as even a trip to the supermarket wipes me out and last time we went for a day out I ended up using a wheelchair so getting a bit concerned about coping at Disney.

I don’t want to hold up the rest of my group if getting a space on the buses is going to be hard which is why I wondered about doing the park hire but sounds like it’s better to hire or take one - guessing we could probably get an Uber/Lyft to/from the parks if necessary
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
Thanks for he replies
I don’t have one at home at the moment but having been considering one as I’ve been really struggling with walking recently. I haven’t really been going out as even a trip to the supermarket wipes me out and last time we went for a day out I ended up using a wheelchair so getting a bit concerned about coping at Disney.

I don’t want to hold up the rest of my group if getting a space on the buses is going to be hard which is why I wondered about doing the park hire but sounds like it’s better to hire or take one - guessing we could probably get an Uber/Lyft to/from the parks if necessary
Honestly in May we stayed at Yacht Club and never had to wait to get a bus.