Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Aug 22, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Our trip was in August 2016. We drove from Calgary via Banff and Kamloops to Vancouver. The worst thing we visited was the Three Gap Valley Ghost Town. It had amazing reviews on Trip Advisor but was just a load of old houses filled with junk - it could be good but needed some serious curating. I loved the boat trip on Lake Miniwanka just outside Banff - in fact all of the rivers and lakes were stunning with their turquoise water. Driving was a must for us as we loved the way we could just pull off the road onto one of the many viewing spots on the way.

I didn't like Vancouver, maybe we should have started there as it was a real let down after the Rockies. It is just a city with a very shady area East of Gas Town. That said Stanley Park was lovely and we visited some places just outside the city. The highlight was a day trip (wish we'd stayed longer) with Viatours to Vancouver Island. Coming home at sunset was amazing.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Lake Louise in May
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

I've just remembered that we bought our park pass in advance and saved queuing in a very long queue when we entered the park from the Calgary direction.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

I just hope they stop the random pcr test on arrival (1 in 5 people)
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoLes
Excited about Disney

OrlandoLes's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We arrived late last night flying Manchester > Toronto > Vancouver & haven’t been requested to test but we have this morning as we are going on an Alaskan cruise on Sunday!
Loving Vancouver so far…. Oh & negative tests for everyone this morning
Edited to say a family of 4
Cheers
Les

Edited at 10:02 PM.
OrlandoLes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 114
I found almost nothing overrated in the Rockies.

The only thing I will say don't waste your money on - The Sky Bistro! Food was mediochre and not cheap. My server rushed us - we had a reservation for when they opened for lunch and were out in 45 minutes. Great view but terrible service.

Oh - and afternoon tea at Chateau Lake Louise, really not great for the price.

Besides that I've loved every trip I've had there.

My recommended restaurants are:
Touloulous - amazing breakfast! Been twice now.
The Grizzly House - also been twice here. It's a fondue restaurant and they have local game on the menu. Bison, Elk and Venison - all amazing!
The Lake Louise station is amazing too - they have limited hours so book ahead. Amazing food and "cheap" cocktails. We saw the Rocky Mountaineer come through while we were there.

Sunrise at Lake Louise.
Sunrise at Moraine Lake - this is really popular, last year it wasn't so busy but this year it is heaving. Parking lot is small and once full Parks Canada closes the lot. Right now this summer it is getting closed at 4am.

Sunset/later in the day is far quieter for Moraine Lake and you'll be more likely to get a spot then. Or you can take the park and ride - park at the Ski Lake Louise parking lot and a shuttle takes you to either Moraine Lake or Lake Louise, then there's a Lake connector shuttle that goes between the 2 every 15 minutes and is included with shuttle ticket.

If you have the time, do the Icefields Parkway and visit Jasper. I love Jasper and it is so much quieter and laid back than Banff. Skip the Columbia Icefields tour - I did it and enjoyed it but I just think it's a bit hypocritical.

If you go to Jasper, make sure you go to Maligne Lake and Spitit Island - both are amazing!

WDW - 96, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 17
DLP - 98, 01, 02, 10 DLR - 11, 12, 14, 18 15
Las Vegas - 11, 12, 13x2, 14, 18x2
WDW Cast Member 17 - 18 14 U.S. States & Counting!
sweetemotion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List