Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 22, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
...If I were you, I wouldn’t feel you need to use Genie or LL. In fact, I’d say the parks are best experienced without the constant need to check your phone.
Relax! And don’t bother giving Disney anymore money than is absolutely necessary 😁
This sounds good! Glad you're having such a great time. Keep on enjoying... (I did some very relaxed typing there and autocorrect thought I was trying to write, "Keep on hogtying"! Don't do that! )

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 03:30 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by °o°-Hannah-°o° View Post
You’ve completely missed my original point, and that is that the boards are full of negative comments recently and it really puts a downer on things for those who are planning a holiday of a lifetime. I have accepted your comments that it won’t work for you but for those who have paid for their trip and are now worried due to all of the negativity, I’m saying that it can and does work pretty easily with a little flexibility. You have very much gone on the attack at my post, I have at no point said that you must do things the way that we have, I was simply trying to offer hope for those who are now feeling like their holiday is going to be ruined.
We have been coming every year since 2005, some years we’ve even come twice and like every single thing around the world things have changed, sometimes you’ve just got to be more flexible in your approach to life.
I apologize if you saw my post as an attack on you.

My point was simply that every single thread on genie plus has dozens of its great, it's rubbish , works doesn't work.

This is a holiday forum, people come on here to learn about Orlando etc I personally don't see stuff as being negative or positive responses, I simply see it as how individuals found it based on their experiences. Of course people need to be flexible in their approach to a holiday any holiday as things change. I've been visiting WDW since 1989. Things have changed, dramatically since COVID, not for the betterment IMHO.

Yes, I understand that for some there is a fear that they're not going to have a good time, I think most people, including old timers like myself have tried to reassure them that they will, if they adapt to the current situation.

I'm glad it's working for you and your having a great time I 've read posts from others who've embraced genie plus as fantastic. That's what this place is about. Reading, assessing , going and reporting back . Long may it stay that way

Enjoy your trip.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
I’m also not paying for parking 😂

I have been parking at Disney Springs, heading to a resort by bus and enjoying the resort e.g. Riviera before HS. We took photos and rode the Skyliner. Then from HS we caught a bus to Port Orleans, took photos and caught the boat back to DS. I love resort hopping, so this has suited us perfectly and saved us hundreds of dollars.

We caught the bus to the Floridian and took the new walkway to MK, then went by boat to Fort Wilderness, ate there, saw the horses and caught the bus back to DS. Perfect days.
Wonder how long before they charge to park at DS?
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Wonder how long before they charge to park at DS?
I said that to DH.
Old 13 Aug 22, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I’ve not read all the replies because I’m going to assume they’re the same as they were a few months ago but I’m with the OP and hate Genie plus. I know it works for some but it didn’t work for us and it wasn’t a lack of understanding either. I’ve said it before but if Disney would fix these issues it may improve:

The lack of ability to choose a specific time period.
The lack of ability to modify, having to cancel and take the chance on a new time suiting you.

Both these aspects make it unworkable for me and they way we do the parks.
Even in California where it works better due to park dynamic I kept wishing there was a modify option to try and get earlier times like Fastpass.
Old 14 Aug 22, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Even in California where it works better due to park dynamic I kept wishing there was a modify option to try and get earlier times like Fastpass.
A simple tweak to be able to select a time period would probably make it far more palatable to most and suit the way different families holiday.

Be able to buy in advance

Certainly not 7am start
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
A simple tweak to be able to select a time period would probably make it far more palatable to most and suit the way different families holiday.

Be able to buy in advance

Certainly not 7am start
This is exactly why I can’t understand why so many people love it. Surely we weren’t the only ones who couldn’t make plans because we couldn’t select a time? We really struggled with stacking for a later park day because of this.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
This is exactly why I can’t understand why so many people love it. Surely we weren’t the only ones who couldn’t make plans because we couldn’t select a time? We really struggled with stacking for a later park day because of this.
In California there was lots of availablity in the first few hours as the parks don’t really get going until about 10. That, plus the fact you can’t use it until you are in the park, means it’s a massive improvement over the WDW version for rope droppers.
But then we would leave at say 2, and want to stack for the evening after dinner. Even then in California return times for the big rides were say, 5 etc. So basically you had to keep checking it and had hours wasted where you couldn’t book anything to stack.
Also my big favourite on old Fastpass was booking the fourth then amending it and often an earlier time would crop up, that doesn’t happen now.
Also the thing is very clunky and unreliable. Strange how there is no option to simply book Lightning Lane and you have to go on that tip board. Very confusing when first using it. Then with WiFi dropping out, then it has to be logged back in, sometimes you need to approve the WiFi in a webpage before being able to log back in, sometimes it simply goes down full stop and doesn’t work etc. The integrity of the whole system isn’t good enough for something so critical.
This was the type of message I got quite a few times, very frustrating (and Genie+ was included in my ticket).

Be prepared for looking at the phone all the time. Also now as well it’s getting increasingly difficult to order quick serve without the phone. Basically all Disney park guests now have to be on the phone all the time unless they ignore Genie. Power bank essential.
Old 25 Aug 22, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
GillyD
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don’t hate you and it’s exactly why I won’t be going again until Disney change things, it’s not just the unfathomable (to me) and excluding Genie+, it’s many things.
They have all but excluded people without a smart phone from being able to do many things.
My objections are - no Magical Express, paying to park even if staying onsite, no park hopping before 2pm (this is my real gripe), having to order food on your phone or face long queues, no package delivery to your hotel. I’m sure there is more.
Currently no DDP which can mitigate a lot of your spending.
And of course, Genie + - what on Earth was wrong with the older Fastpass systems?

I can’t go when I know that my experience just won’t be the same and don’t want to be there feeling disgruntled. So that’s my decision made
I totally agree with all of your points and would add that although we dont go to WDW for the gastronomy, we felt the quality and quantity of the food was not to the same standard pre 2019 when we last visited. It was quite difficult to get reservations before 9 pm if we hadnt planned ahead but understand that was our lack of planning. Increased food prices are also exacerbated by the poor exchange rate.

Also we dont like having to decide on which park we want to visit in advance. We prefer to be spontaneous and decide over breakfast what we will do for the day depending on how we are feeling.

So after multiple years of annual trips to WDW (excepting 2020 and 2021) this will be our final year - we are defecting to Universal where we stayed for 5 nights this year and was the best part of our holiday.
GillyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 22, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

I never agreed with the prices for express pass at universal and when Disney fastpass was free totally supported Disney over universal and would refuse to get the express pass. Thing is I don’t ride all the rides so would be buying it for 1 or 2 for me so I would miss out.
We are staying onsite at HRH in September so will get the passes. Staying at Carribean beach for 1 week. I would absolutely NOT buy the lightening lane or genie thought I do wonder if DH will cave as he is not a fan of queueing. Dd and I went to DLP and we queued for rides and just passed the time chatting it was so lovely and relaxed but DH hasn’t got the patience I don’t think.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List