Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Aug 22, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
We are metered for water , have had water butts for years, the water that comes off our garage roof is unbelievable, we also have an irrigation pipe that any overflow goes through and is buried about 6 inches down for shrubs.
Showers are timed at five minutes, all water except for anything with bleach or strong cleaning fluid is tipped in a bucket outside the back door to stand and then used on plants.
If it is only fairy liquid in the water it kills bugs instead of using strong chemicals.
Washing machine is on eco saving mode with extra laundry cleanser if clothes are dirty.
Dishwasher is on eco mode.
We try our best here to save, as water down the drain is money down the drain when you are on a meter.
I hadn't thought of the overflow from the roof once water butts full . That's my next job then .
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 22, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trusty ian View Post
I hadn't thought of the overflow from the roof once water butts full . That's my next job then .
You can buy irrigation pipe which is a bit expensive, it is a pipe with little holes in, we bought pond pipe instead
my husband put the holes in himself all the way along.
We then dug it in about six inches along the back of the shrubs.
It is attached with a jubilee clip to the secondary hole in the top side of the water butt.

Edited at 06:30 PM.
snowbelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
We are metered for water , have had water butts for years, the water that comes off our garage roof is unbelievable, we also have an irrigation pipe that any overflow goes through and is buried about 6 inches down for shrubs.
Showers are timed at five minutes, all water except for anything with bleach or strong cleaning fluid is tipped in a bucket outside the back door to stand and then used on plants.
If it is only fairy liquid in the water it kills bugs instead of using strong chemicals.
Washing machine is on eco saving mode with extra laundry cleanser if clothes are dirty.
Dishwasher is on eco mode.
We try our best here to save, as water down the drain is money down the drain when you are on a meter.
And being on a meter shows the difference. You are more careful as you pay for what you use.

Those on unmetered bills have no consequence so don't bother. It's easy to say my actions don't count and it's on the water company to fix leaks.

They are all out fixing leaks daily, they all have a website where you can help by reporting them.

I was just pointing out that people are turning off lights or dishwashers earlier to save a couple of pence but don't consider saving water, which is a limited resource.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

The elephant in the room of course is when they build thousands of new homes they need to consider the impact that this has in everything, thousands new homes no new reservoirs
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
The elephant in the room of course is when they build thousands of new homes they need to consider the impact that this has in everything, thousands new homes no new reservoirs
Round here all the new building seems to be on the flood plains. Give it a couple of months and they won't be short of a bit of water.

Seriously though, we just don't grow stuff that needs watering. We are not on a water meter, but are not wasteful either.

We have a water butt because we were caught out during "the floods" in 2007 when the water was switched off as the main pumping station was flooded and we had to use the pond to flush the toilet.

I do still think it is ridiculous that we use treated drinking water to flush the toilet, but I doubt that will change unless it has to.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

We don't have a meter but I don't waste water too much, I am murder for the washing machine tho, and as it is old it doesn't have much in the way of economy settings. We both shower daily but tend not to hang about in there like the younguns. As I said I use second hand water for my indoor plants and we are only watering the essentials outside. Our lawn looks like the Serengeti.

Have you seen the toilet where the basin is on the cistern? I think thats brilliant as well as space saving and am going to look into it for our ground floor toilet.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Put the plug in the bath when you get a shower ( if it's over a bath) and scoop the water out with a jug to flush the loo or water plants.
My cousin is on a rhine river cruise at the minute and they cant go anywhere as the water level is too low .
The water companies need to sort their act out, we live on an island, why not build desalination plants all around the coast... use the money that the HS2 is using and scrap that
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Why don’t they build reservoirs. No new ones in the last 30 years but have sold some off instead yet we are building more and more houses.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

We certainly have some leaks here too. They seem to repair them and it moves the problem along.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Those on unmetered bills have no consequence so don't bother. It's easy to say my actions don't count and it's on the water company to fix leaks.
I don't think any poster on here has said their actions don't count.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List