Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 17 Nov 21, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Anthem Adventures with Andy - Day 5 Sea Day

We had decided to make the most of the last day on the ship so despite it being a sea day, we had planned for an early start and to head to the main dining room for breakfast as we hadn’t yet done this.

We had both set an alarm to stop us oversleeping, but as you can imagine when it actually went off, the prospect of getting up didn’t hold any appeal – at least to me! I will admit that Andy is far more of a morning person than I will ever be (which to be fair isn’t difficult!) so he was up and ready well before I was, but I finally got myself out of bed and was soon showered and ready for our last day on board 😊

It was only around 8:30 by this time, so we were in plenty of time to have a main dining room breakfast, so we headed down and were quickly seated with menus. As we were choosing what we would like to eat, the waiter came round with mimosas – at this point the early start was beginning to feel worth it!

We ordered our food – I opted for a hot breakfast with some French toast and coffee, all washed down with regular orange juice as well as the mimosa 😊

We couldn’t fault either the service or the food and once we had eaten our fill, we headed up to the pool deck to the Solarium to chill for a little while. As we got there, we could see straight away how busy it was and there were no sun loungers available, so we moved through to the area around the covered pool and found a couple there.

We hadn’t planned to be here for the day as there was a quiz we wanted to do and also a mid-afternoon show so we were happy with the spot we had claimed for an hour or so. Given I had already started the day with a mimosa, it didn’t take too much convincing that it was late enough to order a pineapple sangria which was as delicious as always 😂

After around an hour chilling round the pool, we headed back inside and down to the Two70 venue which was hosting the Disney quiz this morning. We found a couple of seats, then realised we would not be able to see the screens from this spot, so moved to a different area so that we could fully participate in the quiz – the screens were a vital part of the quiz so it was a good move!

I think I may have mentioned before that Andy although a fan of Marvel is not in fact a Disney fan, and although he does enjoy quizzes generally and is very good at them, Disney is a definite gap in his knowledge!
Luckily I do have a slightly better grasp on all things Disney, so we managed to score a creditable 45/69 in the quiz – and Andy managed 2 of those points! Clearly need to work on this area…..

After the quiz as we were heading out, I noticed a group of people congregating by the huge windows at the back of the ship so had a quick nosy – there were dolphins swimming alongside which was lovely to see!

There was also an announcement made at this point regarding the theatre entertainment schedule for the afternoon. There had been an awful lot of people complaining on this cruise about the lack of things for the families and children to do – an incident of covid with a child had meant the kids clubs had all had to close due to staff now having to isolate, and the October weather had meant certain activities on the ship couldn’t operate such as the North Star, rock climbing wall etc. I realise that as we didn’t have children with us we were unaffected by this, but some of the complaints I had overheard had been overly critical in my opinion – it was clear the weather was outside their control and the isolation issue was unavoidable. There were also complaints that children were unable to leave the ship at ports unless on an official tour – whilst I struggle to see the logic in this one, it was well known to everyone before booking as this was always the RCI policy, so I found it a little disingenuous to moan about it when you knew what the position was!

To try to alleviate some of the issues the families had, the announcement was made that Pete Matthews had come onboard the previous day and would be putting on an unplanned show early in the afternoon – he is a comedy juggler who I have seen before and found very entertaining so was excited to hear we would get to see him as he wasn’t due to be on our cruise, but the announcement then continued by asking that priority for booking for this show be given to families. I was disappointed to hear this, but totally understood the situation, so at this point we decided to head up to Windjammers for some lunch.

As we were finishing lunch, a notification came through on my app to let me know the show we had booked for the afternoon in the theatre had moved to a new timeslot to accommodate the extra show which Pete Matthews was doing – this wasn’t a huge issue for us, it just meant I had to think about when I was going to pack as I had planned to do this after the show, but would now be cutting it fine for dinner, but I was sure I would work something out! I also realised that the Pete Matthews show was now available for booking on the app, and given it was over 90 minutes since the announcement, I felt we had given families enough of a head start on the bookings, so we booked for this show as well! Result!

It was close to the time we needed to head to the theatre for the Pete Matthews show, so we wandered down to the theatre via the shops where I caved and bought a bottle of perfume! I didn’t need any, but it’s a holiday tradition so I treated myself to a bottle of Dior Sauvage – my only purchase from the shops during the whole cruise 🤣

We took our seats in the theatre and ordered a couple of cokes from a passing waiter as we waited for the theatre to fill and the show to start

it seems that the families weren’t that desperate for entertainment as the theatre was only a quarter full for the duration of the show!

The show was excellent as always from this guy and following we headed back to our cabin with a coffee from Starbucks to rearrange the rest of our day as the mid afternoon show we had planned to see had now moved to a later slot.

We enjoyed our coffee on the balcony while we decided we could pack after the next show, then move dinner to follow the early evening show rather than eating before as we had originally planned to do.

It was now time for us to head back to the theatre for the next show on our agenda – In concert with the We Will Rock You singers. As we were in the queue to scan in, there was an older woman stood to the side of the queue having a real go at the crew member checking us in, she was complaining that it was the worst cruise she had been on, she was bored to tears and there was nothing to do on this ship! I’ll be honest, I’m generally very easy going and non-confrontational, but I could not keep my mouth shut at this point! It wasn’t the fault of the crew member who did not deserve the treatment she was getting, and I couldn’t stop myself from telling her that I completely disagreed, there were lots of activities to do every day and that the crew were doing their absolute best to keep everyone entertained under difficult circumstances – then I smiled at the crew member who grinned back at me and we headed into the theatre to take our usual seats!

This show was also excellent and we both thoroughly enjoyed it before we had to leave to head to our cabin to pack – naturally going via Starbucks for coffee to assist the process 😂

Packing is not a job I enjoy as I don’t travel light (really need to work on that…..) but once started it was quickly sorted and the only things left were what I was wearing the following morning and toiletries which would be needed.

Once done, tags were attached and the luggage left outside to be collected and taken off the ship. We had also changed for the evening at this point, so it was now time to head back to the theatre for our third and final show of the day – Frankie and the Dreamers with Ryan Molloy from the original West End line up of the Jersey Boys.

I had seen the Eastcoast Boys on my previous Anthem cruise and thought they were great, but this show just blew them out of the water ( no pun intended! ) It was amazing – not at all what I was expecting from this type of act, but the energy and twists on the songs they did was just fantastic – it was a very close run between this and We Will Rock You for the best show of the cruise!

Following the show, we headed down to dinner, still chatting about how great the show had been and we asked at the podium to be seated in Manuel’s section again as the service had been so good – we had a very small wait and then they showed us to a table in the dining room where we were warmly greeted by Manuel. Dinner was excellent as ever, tonight being a salad to start (no I don’t know why I chose such a healthy option on my last meal! )

Cheese tortellini

Apple Blossom Tart

and a cappuccino and coconut mojito to wash it all down 😂

They also brought a plate of petit fours for us to try!

We had a lovely last meal chatting to the waiters and each other discussing how the cruise had gone and how well we had got on – it could have been very awkward if we hadn’t, but it had been so easy and natural that we had both had a fab time together and as well as booking another cruise for May 2022 we had planned in as many weekends as we could before Christmas – sadly due to pre-arranged commitments, once we were home it would be 4 weeks before we would be able to see each other again but we knew that was something we would have to factor in given we live in different countries!

Following dinner we debated on going to see another show in Two70, but we had love the last show so much we agreed we wanted to finish the cruise on a high, so decided to call it a night as we had an early start the following day as they disembark the ship very early.

We headed back to the cabin with a final drink and chatted for a while on the balcony before finally heading to bed – it had been such an amazing last day to end such a wonderful holiday together – hopefully the first of many ❤️

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

Sounds like you certainly made the most of your final day on board. Well done on speaking up about your positive experiences during the cruise. I’m sure it made the crew member’s job a lot easier. Honestly, there is no pleasing some people!
Old 17 Nov 21, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We found there were some odd grumpy people on our cruise too.

I think some people just like to complain so we tried to be extra polite to the crew to balance out the mean ones….!
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Thumbs down for the complainers

Lovely day with early cocktails

Jersey Boys is one of my favourite shows
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
That theatre looks so comfortable, and if I had a pineapple sangria to drink there, my life would be complete!