Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jan 22, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Gluten Free Places To Eat in Tokyo

timeout/tokyo/restau...o08nXGBWYovgnE
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

That is hugely useful, thank you.

I went to Tokyo in Jan 2019 to visit my son who was working out there at the time. I wasn't gluten free at the time, but was (and still am) a vegetarian. I actually found it quite difficult to eat just as a veggie, albeit not helped by the fact I had some mobility issues and couldn't go here, there and everywhere to find suitable places to eat. I stayed in the hotel my son was working at, rather than somewhere that may have been a bit better for veggie options (just by way of explanation!).

I want to return with my husband (he had no annual leave left at the time), as I absolutely loved the Disney parks. However, I'd pretty much written it off due to the problems I had eating, and now as a coeliac, thought I'd have no chance of finding vegetarian gluten-free food.

This gives me hope that it might be possible!
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
LozSteelers
Very Serious Dibber

This is really helpful thank you. I've recently had to go gluten free after COVID-19 left me with an intolerance and I must admit I have been worrying about what to eat while I'm in Japan.
LozSteelers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

So glad it was useful - will keep eyes open for more and post them here.

One thing to be aware of is that Time Out have a habit of reposting old stories, the date on the article is April 2021 so there is a chance that these places might have closed.

I had read that eateries like this were not that frequented by local Japanese people and relied on visitors, so I would check they are still open before you make plans to perhaps rely on them.

I found Google Maps is pretty upto date with places being closed, but checking now the first one on the list appears to be in operation still

google/maps/place/...!4d139.7296399
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

Oh, I'd definitely double check. Going anywhere these days is a major planning headache for dietary restrictions!

I don't think we'd manage for a full holiday in Tokyo, but I think our plan is to do a trip with a cruise, then have a stay in Tokyo either before or after for a few days, long enough to do Disney at least!

I was just looking on the Disney Tokyo website actually (this post inspired me to have a bit of a google around the subject) and they allow guests with dietary restrictions to take their own food in which can be heated up, which I thought was interesting. Could definitely make that work if we did Tokyo before a cruise, just take lots of suitable food in a suitcase.

Certainly food for thought!
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List