Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 16 Apr 22, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Steamboat Powells: Disney Cruise Staycation Southampton August 2021: Day One: Embarkation Day

Day One: Friday 27th August 2021: Embarkation Day

You can find a bit of background information in the index

Let’s begin with the morning of disembarkment day. We had managed to secure the early slot of 11.45am as our arrival time so were really keen to maximise our time on board and packed our swimming stuff in our bags too (this was not meant to be as you’ll read on).

I set the alarm for 6.30am and we were really excited to get going. We finished packing and cleaning the house as I like to come back to a clean house from holiday. We left the house at 8.15am, as planned which gave us 3 and a half hours to get to Southampton (a 2 to 2 and a half hour drive away). However 10 minutes into the journey, Owen realised he’d left the Revolut card at home and as this was how we’d be paying for everything, we had no choice to turn back. Whenever we go away, I write a list of what to pack and I had inadvertently left this off Owen’s list. However I usually leave him to his own devices. This mistake was the start of a series of unfortunate events.

By the time we’d gone back, we ended up half an hour behind schedule and I was starting to panic. What had started out as a great head start was starting to be the opposite! Only things got worse. When we arrived at the exit for the M25, we saw a huge stationary queue of traffic extending across the QE2 bridge. We could either wait or make a detour and go north around the M25. This turned out to be another mistake in the end.

Anyway off we went, pleased we’d skipped the queues and hoping we’d make it in time. However not long into our journey, we started slowing down. Traffic was crawling and then we stopped entirely. There had been an accident only a short distance in front of us. By this point, my nerves were shot! I watched the clock move forward, as we sat waiting for it to be cleared. My heart sunk as I knew we’d miss our arrival time and I had no idea how long we’d be there for. However an hour later, traffic was cleared and we could get through. We were lucky that we were nearer the front and as I saw that it was a family, like us, involved, I thought that my stress about making the time seemed rather frivolous as that could have been us.

We continued on the M25 without any more issues but the roads to Southampton was slow and the clock was ticking. When we finally saw the ship, I breathed a huge sigh of relief – we were finally here albeit over an hour after our time slot! We quickly unpacked and rushed over to hand in our luggage before queuing up for the LFTs.

The queue was huge and took around 45 minutes. The boys were not keen on doing these and Hayden wanted to turn back rather than do one! However Owen had bought them a couple of mini lego figures as a treat for compliance and in the end, Hayden was absolutely fine. Ashley on the other hand was a nightmare and Owen had to hold him so I could administer the test. Once it was over, the boys were given their figures to make whilst we waited. Only 20 minutes passed, all negative and we were free to go!

We rushed up to security, no queues and we straight through. By this time, it was groups 1 to 12 boarding and we were group 3. When we went to show our information, the lady asked why we were so late. I muttered, “Horrendous traffic!” And just like that, we were able to go straight on! It was around 2 at this point.

As we walked along the gangway, I could feel the tears coming, the excitement. After all the stress and uncertainty, we were really here, about to board onto the Disney Magic for our first cruise! The “family Powell” was announced and we entered the atrium, stood on our spot and waved at Mickey and Minnie. The look of glee on the boy’s faces made it all worth it.

After the welcoming song, we were directed to Fathoms to set up the navigator app and then to go to our muster station. A lovely American CM helped us and it was so nice to hear his accent! We saw Donald and Goofy on the way, to add to the excitement!

We then headed to Cabanas for food. We had only bought some snacks with us as we had planned to be on the ship by 1 and it was now 2.30 so we were famished! I get quite hangry if I am deprived of food and when I saw the lack of choice for me (I’m vegan), I could feel the stress levels rise. We got food for the boys- mac and cheese, pasta and bread.

Whilst they ate, Owen kindly went off to Daisy DeLites to get me something. In the meantime, Ashley spilled his drink everywhere. I had to try really hard to get a CMs attention to clean it up which I found quite disappointing. Owen returned with my food – a falafel salad and a giant cous cous salad which we’re both delicious. I practically inhaled them, I was so hungry! I think Owen had mac and cheese too.

After lunch, we decided to go to Oceaneers as the open house would be ending soon. On the way, we saw an Aerial meet and greet in the cinema without any wait so did this first.

The boys liked the club. We’d booked them in for 3 sessions one for each day. They also got to meet Jessie.

We then went back to the cinema to meet Snow White. The boys have never met princesses before due to long queues at DLP and a lack of interest. I loved the interaction and they both really enjoyed it. Ashley developed a bit of a crush on Snow White after this and kept blowing her kisses every time he saw her! FYI - it is mission impossible to ever have both boys looking at the camera at the same time and smiling nicely - I think photographers gave up hope at times!

We also met Goofy at some point but can't remember where!

We explored a bit more of the ship then at 3.40pm, it was time for the boy’s first session at the kid’s club. Owen and I were happy for the breather and enjoyed a couple of drinks at the bar on the deck – I got the cocktail of the day, an English Rose and Owen got a virgin colada. Both were delicious!

We enjoyed finally being able to chill out and relax for a little while, taking it all in! We also went to our room to unpack. We were really pleased with our oceanview stateroom with balcony. It was more spacious than I thought it would be and so nice. I loved our little balcony. I also loved the little bits of detail.

Our room keys Such a lovely souvenir to keep at the end too!

At around 5.30pm, we collected the boys and got ready for our first dinner at 6pm. I had bought several Disney themed dresses with me to wear. I chose my Winnie the Pooh one for today.

Tonight was Rapunzels, which we were pleased about as the theming was incredible. We were introduced to our serving staff and I explained I was vegan. This meant they were brilliant at checking what food I could have and making recommendations as well as helping me pre-choose food for breakfast and dinner. They were also great and helping Owen and the boys as they are all vegetarian. There was always a vegan/vegetarian option for a main but they were happy to make something different for us too. Whilst we were having dinner, the boat disembarked. I was really worried about this as I suffer from motion sickness. However, I took my stugeron tablets constantly and wore bands and was fine.

Ashley and I had salad to start but Owen and Hayden declined this. For main, the boys had pizza and Owen and I had Tofu Ramen. This was disappointing and very bland, as well as difficult to eat. For desert, I was limited to sorbet but it was better than nothing! The boys had magnums as for our cruise, they’d run out of Mickey bars. Something which we hope they can try at WDW. We loved the show and ambience which made up for the food. Little bits like a Mickey shaped ketchup face added to the magic too.

We also had our photos taken. We had purchased the photo package which was well worth it for all the lovely photos we had taken.

After dinner, we decided to brave the shop. I had read a lot about people queuing for hours and going crazy buying certain items to sell online. We didn’t really expect much and thought we’d see if there was anything we’d like. By the time we arrived, the mad rush was over (the shops had been ramsacked) and the shops were quiet. The boys chose lanyards and pads, Owen and I got tops each and Owen got some ornaments. I also got a lovely Sebastian pin, “the human world is a mess.” I thought this summed things up perfectly! We spoke to the CM who said that people started queuing at 1pm to get in the shop (it opened at 6pm). After the first day, there was never anyone in there whenever we went past!

At 9pm, we headed to deck 10 for the Frozen show. We stood up on deck 11 around 15 minutes before it was due to start. CMs gave out blankets as it was quite chilly. Ashley was exhausted by this point but Hayden enjoyed the show.

When we returned to our room, it was all made up, complete with chocolates and a towel character.

Exhausted, we got ready for bed. It had been a brilliant end to what started out as a stressful day.

Here is our video footage from the day (although be warned, Adam Hattan we are not!):

Day Two is here

Edited at 11:01 AM.
Em4owen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 22, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

What a very stressful journey! Your room looks lovely and sounds like a very enjoyable day once you were onboard
Old 17 Apr 22, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by P&S View Post
What a very stressful journey! Your room looks lovely and sounds like a very enjoyable day once you were onboard
Thank you Sue - yes very stressful but all was well in the end The room was lovely and had this lovely smell too.