VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Dixonsontour New York and Washington DC Food February 2022 COMPLETE

Dixonsontour New York and Washington DC Food February 2022

INTRO

I’ll do a dining review from our recent holiday as we ate in a lot of chains that are in Florida too and I know people enjoy food pics anyway.

We went to New York and Washinton DC February 2022 half term. It was our first USA trip since October 2019.

The 3 of us went. My daughter is now 16 (she was 3 on my first dining review on the dibb!) and trip was partly for her birthday. Anna and my husband prefer not to be on photos on here so it will probably look like I'm alone but they were there!

We had been to New York and Washington DC before but as part of our honeymoon 20 years ago.

I did very little pre planning for this this holiday as I was convinced it wasn’t going to happen.

We booked direct flights with Aer Lingus from Manchester. 5 nights New York at the Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central. This was booked on Hilton points husband had (travels for work so builds up points) We chose it for location near Chrysler building, free breakfast and a free night deal.

We used Amtak train booked via Wanderu to Washinton DC then 3 nights in Washington ay Hyatt Place Washington DC/Whitehouse booked via booking.com.

In New York when we went it was masks on to go in restaurants and show proof of vaccination (NHS app) to eat inside. Washington was mask rule but no need to show Covid pass.

I lost 5 stone on Slimmingworld in 2019 – you'll see massive difference in me between my 2018 and 2019 food reports on here (size 20 to a 10/12). I’m a bit heavier than 2019 but maintaining a healthy weight size 12. I’m on Instagram as stephaniefiona_sw if anyone is interested in following my weight loss account.

Foodwise on hols I eat what I fancy but my tastes have changed and I can’t tolerate a lot of fried food. That said pizza, burgers and chick fil a featured heavily this trip!

Edited at 06:19 PM.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Day 1 Travel to NEW YORK

Friday 11th February 2022

Breakfast T2 Manchester Airport

San Carlo, Manchester Airport

T2 is all done up now. We had a lovely breakfast at San Carlo. Will definitely go again.

I had Eggs Royale which were lovely.

Plane Food Aer Lingus

Had a great flight out, it was only 1/3 full so we could spread out. Food was fine and staff lovely.

Was a main meal service - I had bolognese then an afternoon tea. Free soft drinks, alcohol was extra.

Chick fil a

We got a cab from Airport and checked into hotel then had a walk to Times Square. Finally hit me we were there (I was convinced we weren’t going to be able to go)

We were tired and just went in a Chick fil a. There was no eat in seating open so we took it back to hotel to eat. I had a grilled chicken sandwich, sorry no pics. Always a good choice and we can all find something we like.

dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
New York Day 2

Saturday 12th February 2022

Breakfast - Hotel (Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central)

We had a free included breakfast. This was much better than anticipated and worked well for us as we could eat and leave teen daughter getting ready.

It opened at 7am. It was masks on to enter and show covid pass to sit down and eat. (covid pass rule applied to all age 5 plus – nhs app was fine, you needed to be at least double vaccinated) It was very quiet in breakfast room and the staff were nice and everything was fresh and clean. We ended up eating there every day.

There was a waffle maker, eggs, oatmeal, sausages, potatoes, bagels, muffins, fruit, coffee, water and juice.

[/size]

Dunkin Donuts

We did make a stop for DD to get a speciality coffee.

This was our warmest day. We had a nice walk around and went up Empire State Building.

[/size]

Lunch

Panera Bread

This is a chain, they are in Florida. Never been before but will go again.

We didn’t want a lot to eat as we were on a food walking tour in afternoon. The tomato soup and half grilled cheese were good, it came with crusty bread too. Shared a bear claw pastry. It was quiet eating in here.

Edited at 02:13 PM.
Old 15 May 22, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Love your food reports, following along. Seeing lovely pics of NYC makes me want to go back! X
Old 15 May 22, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Day 2 Continued

Food walking tour Greenwich Village

Reserved this with free tours by foot. You just tip at end and pay for food as you go. Really enjoyed this.

We went to Café Reggio - first cafe to do Cappuccino in USA.

[/size]

Artichoke which does an unusual pizza with a creamy artichoke topping – I really liked this.

[/size]

A deli which did aranchi balls, falafal and Bantam bagels – all so so.

Then Bleecker Street pizza, which is No 1 for pizza in NY, this was good.

Then last stop Molly’s cupcakes which was cute. It’s named after her favourite teacher and painted school bus yellow. DD had a cookie monster and I had a peach cobbler.

We went to Guggenheim and The Met. There was a lovely exhibition in the Met called Inspiring Walt Disney but photos not allowed.

Dinner - Shake Shack

We ate dinner at shake shack near hotel. This was good and hit the spot after our busy day. We ate in. I had the shack burger (cheeseburger) and a strawberry shake. We ordered on the screens as you could customise burgers.

Edited at 02:17 PM.
Old 15 May 22, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
4holibobs
VIP Dibber

Oh fab! Looking forward to reading more!
4holibobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Day 3 NEW YORK

Sunday 13th February 2022

Breakfast - Hotel

Breakfast at our hotel again. I was well in the swing of US eating today with a savoury breakfast and then a waffle for dessert!

It had snowed overnight and was absolutely freezing today.

This morning we went to Statute of Liberty and did the Pedestal tour – lots of steps to climb. When we last came to NY it was only a few months after 9/11 and you could only sail past statue. So, we were able to visit properly and go to Ellis Island.

Battery park in the snow.

Wendy’s

We ate lunch at Wendy’s. Sorry no pics. I had a grilled chicken sandwich.

Dunkin Donuts

Got some donuts and ate these back in the room while we had a warmup and a rest. It was Valentine's. I had these two (you can see there was no Slimmingworld happening!)

Rockerfeller centre early evening. We timed it to see the view in daylight and then at night.

We also went back to Times square

Tony’s Di Napoli

This was near Times Square. We had a nice meal, and it was reasonably priced. It was family style, each pasta dish served 2-3 people so we shared spaghetti and meatballs and it was perfect for us. Came with crusty bread. I had a glass of rose wine.

Edited at 02:22 PM.
Old 15 May 22, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’m so glad you’ve done a report Stephanie
I really enjoyed following on Instagram but you cant beat a full round up !
The breakfast place in T2 looked great , May give it a go next time we fly from Manchester
The food tour looked good , the donuts looked delicious 😋
I do love a free breakfast, it sets you up and on a short trip where time is valuable it saves looking for places too
Looking forward to the rest of your report
Emma x
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
New York Day 2

Saturday 12th February 2022

Breakfast - Hotel (Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central)

We had a free included breakfast. This was much better than anticipated and worked well for us as we could eat and leave teen daughter getting ready.

It opened at 7am. It was masks on to enter and show covid pass to sit down and eat. (covid pass rule applied to all age 5 plus – nhs app was fine, you needed to be at least double vaccinated) It was very quiet in breakfast room and the staff were nice and everything was fresh and clean. We ended up eating there every day.

There was a waffle maker, eggs, oatmeal, sausages, potatoes, bagels, muffins, fruit, coffee, water and juice.

Dunkin Donuts

We did make a stop for DD to get a speciality coffee.

This was our warmest day. We had a nice walk around and went up Empire State Building

Lunch

Panera Bread

This is a chain, they are in Florida. Never been before but will go again

We didn’t want a lot to eat as we were on a food walking tour in afternoon. The tomato soup and half grilled cheese were good, it came with crusty bread too. Shared a bear claw pastry. It was quiet eating in here.

What a great day lovely photos
And our absolute favourite is DD too ☕️🍩
X

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
homerthecowboy
Trying for More Ears

Great to see your reports back on Steph, will you tell your daughter to stop growing up it's making us all feel so old!
homerthecowboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List