Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 8 Jun 22, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

AKL downtime
So this trip, after words from DH! , I made a conscious effort when it came to FP booking and ADRs to ensure a day on and a day off once we were inside WDW. To be fair, I did much prefer this as it gave us plenty of downtime in between park days and allowed DD to play in the pool and I got to sunbathe - most unusual! This was our third time at AKL, the first for my 30th just me and DH then we stayed here in 2016 prior to this trip with DD. Each time we book our hols here, I always say 'shall we go somewhere new?' but the familiarity and pull of the resort always wins! 😄 Here are a few pics from the hotel and grounds;

(Not entirely sure how this ended up black and white, as much as I would like to say it is my artistic flair with a camera... 😂 )

We snagged loungers by this little plunge pool a few times over thhe course of the holiday as it had a lovely shaded area too. This was the first time we had been in August as a family and I hadn't been at this time of year in a LONG time - it was hot!

I think this was another reason we enjoyed our alternating rest days 😊
I know some people often comment how AKL is so much further out than other resorts and it takes an age to get anywhere on Disney transport, but honestly, I don't really see it. I have stayed at CBR and POR in the past and cannot say there is a huge difference. I fully appreciate that some would rather be on the doorstep of MK or Epcot, but I am happy with the surroundings of AKL and the price compared to other deluxe resorts for the sake of an extra 10 minutes here and there 👍
Screenshot from MDE app whilst there..
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 22, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Aah, the heat of August, yep I can agree with the idea of having downtime and trying to relax at the resort, it is definitely needed .

It sure does look beautiful at AKL, do you know what? We've never been to that resort shh, don't tell anyone! Early on in the planning for our trip this summer I thought we really should go there this trip and I was going to book Boma as a reason to go, but then my plans moved on......and I didn't have room for Boma and now I'm all...well it will still be there on future trips...and...we are DVC now so we will actually stay there and do Boma and Sanaa one day in the future! But your photos are making me think should I change my well laid plans

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 08:28 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 22, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

MK highlights
As it has been so long and my memory is atrocious at the best of times (I at least now have renewed use of 'baby brain' excuse &#128516, I will drop in bits from each park as summaries, starting with MK which was our first park visited after we checked in at AKL.
Had to take a pic of this as Gertrude was my nan's middle name! (for context, she was born in 1911 🤭 )

The usual suspects were dutifully visited along with Jungle Cruise - Pirates, Swiss Family Tree House (embarrassed to admit this was my first time exploring this - DD was the perfect age to enjoy it), Country Bear Jamboree, Splash, BTM, Tiki Room (DD not at all impressed it had reverted to the version without Iago 😤 ). I am pretty sure Splash was one of our FP, sadly I don't recollect the others - possibly 7DMT and a princess meet and greets. We did do 2 days in each park, so would have had 6 FPs in total. Ah, for those simpler, cheaper times..I confess I am daunted by the Genie+ and LL situation, not to mention the extra cost involved 🙄
We managed to stalk Mary Poppins and Burt too, which was great as Daisy had really got into these films before we went!

Tink meet and greet was good, although I confess I preferred the Tink on our last visit 🙊 I do also think it was a great shame that talking Mickey only lasted such a short time, that was truly magical 🥺
Tiana and Rapunzel were fabulous 👌

As was the BBB photographer - lovely images

Daisy, meet Daisy 😁

The irony is not lost on me that my children have ended up sharing names with Disney characters and I absolutely swear to you that was purely coincidental - I mean, namesake s of a duck and a crab? Really?! 😝
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 22, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Aah, the heat of August, yep I can agree with the idea of having downtime and trying to relax at the resort, it is definitely needed .

It sure does look beautiful at AKL, do you know what? We've never been to that resort shh, don't tell anyone! Early on in the planning for our trip this summer I thought we really should go there this trip and I was going to book Boma as a reason to go, but then my plans moved on......and I didn't have room for Boma and now I'm all...well it will still be there on future trips...and...we are DVC now so we will actually stay there and do Boma and Sanaa one day in the future! But your photos are making me think should I change my well laid plans
You really have to go! The breakfast buffet there is YUMMY as well - but hey, you will have the option of Kidani now too with your DVC 😊 👌 We didn't do Sanaa on the last 2 trips but am definitely revisiting next time - the bread service alone.. 😋 Go on, throw it in the mix! 😄 The resort really is beautiful and it's so peaceful to just sit and watch the animals
Old 8 Jun 22, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Another first for us all incredibly was visiting the Boardwalk area, how unique and lovely! Was so different to other parts of Disney and such a nice atmosphere. This was the site of my absolute fave meal of the holiday, at Flying Fish Cafe - although giving a 7 year old the taste for wagyu steak does not bode well 🤣 It was also the site of one of the most embarrassing parts of the holiday for me.. DD was wearing new sandals and they were rubbing at the heel, so thought I best get some plasters. I spotted some cast members at a podium outside one of the bars and went to ask them where I could get some - and do you think I could remember what Americans refer to them as? Erm, no. The shame. After a few umming and ahhings (I mean, I went as red as the time I had to ask a guy in McDonalds in Edinburgh to repeat himself 3 times before I understood what he was asking me 😳 ) I finally remembered I needed to ask for band aids 😆 and happily there was a shop on the promenade that sold them. Lesson learnt there!

That last photo was the cheeseboard DH opted for - it had its own novel telling us about them 😄
Old 9 Jun 22, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

AK highlights
Now I know we definitely had FP for FoP and Everest and Dinosaur. I think the second day we had Navi River Journey and Kilimanjaro Safaris but after that memory fails me sorry 😄
Flights of Passage was spectacular, although DD had an issue in that her glasses kept slipping bless her. She also wasn't keen on Everest as she said she felt like she would fall out! She has however agreed to go on when we next go as she will be taller and so fit better 😉

The Everest pic was one DH really wanted as he actually trekked to Everest base camp for his 40th!
This trip also marked our first Yak and Yeti visit, really enjoyed it and couldn't believe the portion size. Will be interesting to compare next trip as I understand Disney have made their portions smaller - is this across the board does anyone know? 🤔

I so enjoy seeing the Gorillas! 😊
Going on the safari at night meant we had some amazing sightings, one of the best ever for the lions.

It was the latest we had probably stayed at AK as we stopped to watch Rivers of Light - gutted they have stopped this as I thought it was lovely, but I did manage to get the soundtrack on Spotify! 👌

Old 9 Jun 22, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Hollywood Studios highlights
We actually came home the day that Galaxy's Edge opened, so no pics of that one sadly - that will be the highlight for DH next time for sure!
Slinky Dog, TSM and Star Tours were def fast passed and also Tower of Terror - Rock n Roller coaster was the one ride DD was still too short for, but she's determined to do it next time. I hope it will be open then 🤞🏻 The memory maker pic from ToT is priceless to see the look on her face 😂
For some reason I don't have that many pics form this park, although our second visit was a bit disastrous as we had a terrific downpour that flooded the place so we had to miss Fantasmic, which is my fave 😪 but memorable wading back to Disney buses when coming out of Star Tours!

Toy Story Land was also new for us this visit and like many comments I had read there just was not enough shade. Queues for meet and greets were horrendous so missed out those entirely.
Old 9 Jun 22, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Epcot highlights
Test Track, Soarin and Frozen Ever After were all nabbed, although I think because only me and DD rode Test Track (DH has neck issues so misses some of the more jolting rides out) we headed there first one morning and used standby queue.
This trip DH also declared Epcot his fave Park and we had extra time here in the evenings, just to stroll and take in the world showcase and I love love love that walk back at night past Spaceship Earth 😍 oo that was fast passed too!
We tried a sit down Chinese meal with DD for first time and she loved the kids' chopsticks - but oh Lordy this portion was even more immense than Yak and Yeti I think 😳

Loved the little Coco additions in Mexico

First time at Chefs de France and that French Onion soup and cheesy crouton deserves a pic 😄

Old 10 Jun 22, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Disney Springs
Now last trip I was left to my own devices at Disney Springs, as DH stayed in resort with DD, although we did pay a fleeting visit for lunch at T-Rex. This time round with DD being that bit older she was keen to shop - and eat!
I had naturally done my Dibb research and knew I wanted to head to Amorettes and that I could use snack credits at Ghirardelli 😄 As I mentioned in my food post, Amorettes went down very nicely and DD still talks about the cakes to this day!

Impressed at the amount of ice cream they got in these ☺️

The one chuckle I did get was when DH went into the watch shop and sales woman collared him - Daisy got a free necklace out of it as they were convinced they could get a sale out of him, despite him seeing the same watch online for over $1000 less 🙈 Needless to say DD tells him to go there again in case she can get a bracelet next time.. 😆
I like to purchase a Disney t-shirt whenever we go and duly found this beauty at World of Disney

Was gutted when the other day I caught it on something and now it has a hole! 😭 what an excuse to go back 😜

We very nearly purchased a lovely Tangled print from the Art of Disney shop, but thought better of it! Happily as you will see from my first post in this thread, I was bought a beautiful Frozen painting for my big birthday which more than made up for it 😊
There are so many amazing eateries now at Disney Springs - I hope I can try some in the visits to come. Earl of Sandwich is our standard go to for QS still, definitely utilised the restaurants more when we went BC 😂 And I do still remember the Downtown Disney days and the year my cousin came along when I was 22, ah youth and nightclubs 🤭

Edited at 08:40 PM.
Old 10 Jun 22, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Random bits!
So as I am going through my pics, I have noticed a few that I haven't used in this brief report but I think are worthy for whatever reason of dropping in here - be prepared for some randomness!
Epcot Alice meet and greet we stumbled across by chance

Oh for the DDP days

The bus home

Mobile ordering - who knew?!

Father-in-law is called Ken, 'nuff said...

Our room for reference!

Speaks for itself 😄

The Mara speciality!

All I remember is it was very strong and looks pretty 😝