Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 31 May 22, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Is DAS being widely abused?

Before I start, I want to stress this question is absolutely not directed at families who have a genuine need for the DAS scheme as it enables them to visit parks and access attractions that they might otherwise not be able to enjoy.

The DAS scheme is vital for these families to be able to get the most from their holidays when they might otherwise face significant challenges or be severely restricted in what they are able to do.

However. since joining a few FB groups dedicated to Orlando holidays for those from the UK, I've seen numerous discussions about DAS and there is nearly always lots of nudge-nudge-wink-wink comments about how proof of DAS suitability is not asked for and/or tips for how to obtain DAS.

It seems that, for some, DAS is seen as a a loophole to avoid paying for Genie+ and/or avoiding having to join attraction queues like everyone else.

With long wait times and extensive use of Genie+ impacting regular standby lines, I do wonder how widespread this abuse is.

That's not to say there's an easy solution, as it's imperative that those with genuine need are able to receive the help that DAS provides them with.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

It probably is as it always has. We always arrive with our proof & they never want to see it or know. I’m so glad they ask for proof in DLP as we go regularly & would be lost without their version.

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Probably.
I watch a pair who do YouTube vlogs for Disney and they did use to get the DAS pass because one of them has anxiety. I think they decided that the system didn’t really work for them though and they went back to standby…

I have issues with my spine (scoliosis, titled pelvis, one leg shorter than the other) and I am in constant pain with my hips. When I’ve done a day of walking I’m in absolute agony with my back for days after and every time we go to Florida I dose up on ibuprofen. I’ve actually decided that on this trip I might get a wheelchair on bad days.

I still can’t bring myself to get DAS pass though, I’m just one of those people that doesn’t like asking for any help.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Introduce charging and there are always going to be people looking at avoiding it.

The new DAS scheme looks very good so I can see why it could be attractive to those not entitled to it.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

yes. It always has, both in Disneyland California and Walt Disney World. Its because in America by law they are not allowed to question or ask for proof of any health issue or disability.

The current DAS system and the previous system are an unspoken loophole used by power users to maximise their park time.

While the majority are genuine users, there is also many people who are abusing the DAS system because they can and they know Disney can not do anything about it.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Yes, I have stopped watching many vloggers as they are using DAS, not so subtly dropping hints that anyone can because no proof is required and passing themselves off as 'influencers' to boot. I have very strong opinions about people who abuse systems designed to assist those with disabilities and special needs. Those opinions cannot be expressed without an azure blue streak of language that would get be banned
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Fluffypenguin View Post
Probably.
I watch a pair who do YouTube vlogs for Disney and they did use to get the DAS pass because one of them has anxiety. I think they decided that the system didn’t really work for them though and they went back to standby…

I have issues with my spine (scoliosis, titled pelvis, one leg shorter than the other) and I am in constant pain with my hips. When I’ve done a day of walking I’m in absolute agony with my back for days after and every time we go to Florida I dose up on ibuprofen. I’ve actually decided that on this trip I might get a wheelchair on bad days.

I still can’t bring myself to get DAS pass though, I’m just one of those people that doesn’t like asking for any help.
I think all the queues are wheelchair friendly now so the DAS may not be of benefit to you if you use a wheelchair. My DD has autism and the DAS is good for her. Her carer took her to the parks on our last trip and she said it worked well for them and they had comfort/drink/shopping breaks whilst waiting for the virtual queue time return.

I do think the DAS is abused, as is the sunflower lanyard. I had a women tell me, she didn’t know my DD uses one, about how she bought one off Amazon and then flew on holiday without a mask, this was why she got the lanyard. Until they bring in some form of “proof” of disability then it will be abused.

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nells77
slightly serious Dibber

We are looking at getting DAS for our next trip, dd 12 is undiagnosed but definitely autistic (we are on the forever list for diagnosis!) she won’t be able to cope with the long queues so we would rather have this option that her having meltdowns. I would hope that have to do the video chat with a cast member would put off people getting it when they don’t need it.
Nells77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Nells77 View Post
We are looking at getting DAS for our next trip, dd 12 is undiagnosed but definitely autistic (we are on the forever list for diagnosis!) she won’t be able to cope with the long queues so we would rather have this option that her having meltdowns. I would hope that have to do the video chat with a cast member would put off people getting it when they don’t need it.
You currently don’t have to have a chat, my DD got the DAS on arrival at the parks.

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by spenners View Post
I think all the queues are wheelchair friendly now so the DAS may not be of benefit to you if you use a wheelchair. My DD has autism and the DAS is good for her. Her carer took her to the parks on our last trip and she said it worked well for them and they had comfort/drink/shopping breaks whilst waiting for the virtual queue time return.

I do think the DAS is abused, as is the sunflower lanyard. I had a women tell me, she didn’t know my DD uses one, about how she bought one off Amazon and then flew on holiday without a mask, this was why she got the lanyard. Until they bring in some form of “proof” of disability then it will be abused.
I’ve never actually used a wheelchair before. I’ve always just struggled on. The pain is that bad that if I sneeze or laugh my knees buckle and I can drop to the ground, but I’m terrible for forcing myself on in excruciating pain.

The problem is that the only time I’d use a wheelchair this time around is when I’m totally desperate. The other times I’d grin and bear it, but I still struggle with queues because if I stand for long periods of time that’s when my back starts to cause serious pain.

I think it just annoys me because I won’t do standby queues over a certain time because of my issues, so we do miss out on a lot of rides.

Edited at 12:05 PM.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List