Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
How many times can we eat at the foodcourt - Disney April/May 2022

Introduction

It's been so long since I've done this I'm a bit out the habit! The dining report is for our delayed trip to celebrate my 50th birthday. Normally it's just my sister (Marie) and I (Lisa) but Mum & Dad decided to come too. We had originally booked September 2021 but obviously had to move it and I couldn't wait a whole year so we chose April/May as Marie's birthday is early May. We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter for 2 weeks with the dining credit and had 2 nights at the end at the Swan. We mainly ate onsite at Disney but there are a couple of offsite places included too. The title is because I realised while writing this just how often we ate at the food court!

Index

Pre-travel & Travel Day - Edinburgh Airport lounge, VA Premium Economy & Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory.
Day 1 - Denny's, Backlot Express & Sassagoula Floatworks
Day 2 - The Plaza & The Turf Club
Day 3 - Kusafiri Bakery, Sassagoula Floatworks & The Grand Floridian Cafe
Day 4 - Sassagoula Floatworks & The Cheesecake Factory
Day 5 - Yak & Yeti & Chef Art Smiths Homecomin'
Day 6 - Polite Pig & Sassagoula Floatworks
Day 7 - Woody's Lunchbox & Saltgrass Steakhouse
Day 8 - Sassagoula Floatworks, Daily Poutine, Chicken Guy & Columbia Harbour House
Day 9 - Sassagoula Floatworks, The Boathouse and Sassagoula Floatworks (again)
Day 10 - Kusafiri Bakery, Rainforest Cafe and Olivia's Cafe
Day 11 - D-Luxe Burger & Olive Garden
Day 12 - ABC Commissary & Space 220
Day 13 - Sassagoula Floatworks & Yak & Yeti
Day 14 - Sleepy Hollow, Big River Grille & Brewing Works & Les Halles
Day 15 - Beaches & Cream & The Yachtsman
Day 16 - Fresh! Mediterranean Market & Outback at MCO
Final thoughts.

Off to the hairdressers now so report to follow .

Trip Report Index

Edited at 08:31 PM.
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Ooh looking forward to this!
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Very much looking forward to this! You have eaten at several of the ADRs we’re planning for November so interested to see your thoughts
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Following.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Pre travel & travel day

I've combined these into one post as pre travel day wasn't very exciting.
The day was filled with covid tests, house cleaning and taking the dogs to the kennels. We'd booked the Hampton Inn at Edinburgh Airport even though we stay quite close because we like to be close to the airport on travel day. I had considered dinner at the hotel however the restaurant there doesn't get great reviews. I then thought we could just go to the airport or the Frankie & Benny's at the Gyle Centre, a tram ride away. It turned out neither was an option with the airport having no restaurants before security.
Instead Mum suggested we eat at the local golf club as we're there regularly and know it's good.

I had fish and chips.

Dad had lasagne.

Marie and Mum had macaroni cheese.

All good and set us up for the journey to the airport. Marie bought Greggs yum yum for dessert later but I don't have a picture.

We had breakfast included with the overnight stay but we also had a lounge booked and I wanted to take advantage of that. Dad popped down for breakfast but I think he only had porridge.

We had various things in the Aspire lounge including bacon rolls, scrambled egg and pastries. They also had one of those pancake machines but we didn't take advantage of that. They had fruit juices as well as the coffee machine and tea bags. I couldn't really take pictures as it was too busy but we managed to get a good table with 4 comfy chairs.

This was nice and a good way to start the holiday. I definitely think we'll book this again.

Our next food was on the flight and consisted of a bag of baked pretzel thins. I miss the sour cream and chive ones .

We were in Premium Economy so lunch was a choice of either salmon, paneer curry or chicken lasagne. I chose the salmon, not really fancying either of the other two choices.

Marie had the chicken lasagne.

Dessert was a cheesecake thingy.

Mum and Dad both had the curry but no photos. They said it was nice.
The salad starter was a bit boring but my main course was lovely. Maybe a few too many peas but the salmon tasted really nice, well seasoned. Marie said the lasagne was really nice too. The dessert was fine, nothing special.

We were treated to an ice lolly later in the fight.

A couple of hours before landing we got served afternoon tea. This was cream cheese and dill and cheddar, pesto and tomato chutney sandwiches and a scone with a couple of wee sponge cakes. I'm not a huge pesto fan but the sandwiches were fine, scone dry as usual and cakes not great at all. The butter icing was too thick for me but Marie enjoyed them.

I included this picture because this was tea. Honest. I know it looks like coffee but it was tea. We weren't even that far back for it to have stewed to that colour so I think they just make it strong.

We arrived pretty early in the day compared to what we're used to and didn't really know what to do with ourselves. We considered getting the boat to Disney Springs for dinner but decided against it as we were pretty tired. Instead we had the first of many visits to Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory.
We decided to get refillable mugs since with POFQ you're always close to the food court and in building 2 we were in a great location.
They had two choices, both 50th anniversary ones so we got two of each with Mum & I getting one and Dad and Marie the other in the hope they wouldn't get mixed up. It didn't really work as Dad couldn't really tell the difference.

The food court was pretty quite cos it was still early. Marie and Mum got chicken strips and Dad and I split a burger and chicken strips so I only have a couple of pictures.

This was fine, I like a Disney burger and you can't go wrong with their chicken tenders. We are hungry and this filled a hole. We used the dining credit for all of it, including the mugs paying for those at the till and mobile ordering the rest. This was all very straightforward. I had the gift card on my apple wallet which meant I was able to use my Apple Watch. I selected the gift card and the barcode then displayed on the watch. The server used the hand held scanner to scan it and it was as easy as that.

We headed back to the room and did some unpacking. Our Celebration Basket had been delivered.

We decided since the night was young (6pm ) so we would wander back across but this time we were headed for Scat Cats Club and the beignets we'd been craving for nearly 3 years!

We got the 3 for $6.99 and Mum and Dad split one. This is mine in the bag and then on the freezer bag we used because we forgot to get plates.

These were as amazing as I remembered!

That was us for food for the day. We had an early night with Hollywood Studios planned in the morning.

Trip Report Index

Edited at 03:41 PM.
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a great start! We love POFQ and thought the food court had loads of variety, plus the beignets were amazing. I’m looking forward to following along. 😁
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Ooh Lisa I'm so glad you decided to do a food reports. I've always loved reading your reports. Those Beignets are to die for. My dad loved them when we were at FQ in 2019. I can't believe it's nearly 3 years ago now and that was our last trip. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reading about your trip and seeing all the tasty treats you ate.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Absolutely love POFQ. Looking forward to seeing more.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 1 - Denny's, Backlot Express & Sassagoula Floatworks

Since we were early to bed we were early to rise at about 4am and decided to go to iHOP for breakfast since they're open 24/7. We headed out to Lake Buena Vista and found the iHOP closed so we swung round and drove across the rode to Denny's instead. They had the lights on and appeared to have people inside unlike iHOP.
We all ordered the French Toast Slam with a variety of egg choices. We also had coffee and everyone but Dad had orange juice too.
The menu is quite large...

I wondered why I had taken this picture then I remembered the cutlery came in paper bags.

This was a great way to start the day and the only day we were really up early enough to do it. The total cost was about $85 which Mum paid in cash and I've just realised I don't think we ever gave her our share .

While in Galaxy's Edge we had to stop for some blue milk. Mum and Dad had never had this and they (well Mum) chose the green one. Marie and I prefer blue.

We were hungry mid-morning but DHS is not a great place to find food at that time of day. Starbucks is always heaving and Mum hates Starbucks so that was out. We ended up round at Sunset Boulevard to see what was open and got some coffees, churros and I got a pretzel.

This was fine but probably wouldn't have been my first choice for a mid-morning snack. I find DHS in particular is bad for snack options at that time of the day.

We were still in the park at lunchtime since our ROTR lightening lane wasn't until 2.45pm ( a rookie mistake we didn't make again). Marie and I normally find that Backlot Express is a decent choice. There aren't really that many inside quick service options in DHS and we didn't fancy ABC Commissary today. How I wish we had went there .
It was absolutely heaving and despite wanting to sit inside we had no option but to grab a table outside. We had to use a combination of alcohol gel and napkins to clean it. We mobile ordered and waited at the table for it to be ready. I'm not a fan of getting a table and ordering but it was so busy this trip it really is every family for themselves .

I decided I didn't want to have a burger for every meal so instead of playing it safe I went for the Teriyaki Chicken Bowl.

This was not nice. It may even be one of the worst things I've eaten at Disney. It was cold which I don't think helped the taste. None of it was nice although I saw Nate Morrow review this the other day and he liked the rice. Not the chicken though.
Dad got the Cuban sandwich.

And Marie and Mum both got the Pulled Pork Burger.

Everyone else enjoyed their and Mum ended up giving me her burger as she only really wanted the pulled pork. I also stole some fries .

After we left the park we went to Walmart to get some water and other bits and bobs. Marie and I got banana nut muffins (hurricane muffins for anyone who read our 2017 report ). Learning our lesson from previous trips we got several boxes!

Marie and I both got a giant bag of Lay's, one of which ended up coming home with us because we couldn't eat two!

We were pretty tired by this point and couldn't face travelling anywhere for dinner. Even the food court felt like a stretch . We popped over though and mobile ordered again.
Mum got the Walt's chilli which comes in a bread bowl.

Dad got the pot roast which he raved about.

Marie and I both got the turkey dinner.

We had bought our favourite cookies and cream pie at Walmart so had a slice of that for dessert then headed to bed.

Trip Report Index

Edited at 05:01 PM.
Old 4 Jun 22, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
What a great start! We love POFQ and thought the food court had loads of variety, plus the beignets were amazing. I’m looking forward to following along. 😁
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Ooh Lisa I'm so glad you decided to do a food reports. I've always loved reading your reports. Those Beignets are to die for. My dad loved them when we were at FQ in 2019. I can't believe it's nearly 3 years ago now and that was our last trip. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reading about your trip and seeing all the tasty treats you ate.
Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Absolutely love POFQ. Looking forward to seeing more.
Those beignets were the reason we chose POFQ .

Thanks for reading along!

Trip Report Index