Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 15 Aug 22, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
C4rla
slightly serious Dibber

That Cauliflower Popcorn looks really nice, hope you had a good flight!
Sep 2022 SSR, RP and ALK October 2019 Disneyland and San Diego Sep 2018 Back to SSR Sep 2016 With the Zebras - ALK Sep 2014 Honeymoon - SSR Sep 2013 Surprise engagement - SSR Sep 2011 Back for three weeks - Comfort Suites Maingate East Sep 2009 Trip one - Econolodge
C4rla is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 22, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
breekinnear1981
New Poster (2)

Looking forward to following along with this, heading to Orlando in October and me and my girlfriend are both vegan.
Hope you have a great holiday and find all the best vegan scran!
breekinnear1981 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

Travel day

Airport breakfast

After initially booking this in 2019, we’re finally at an airport again and on our way!

I had hoped to eat at Wagamamas for breakfast, but despite it saying on the website that it opened at 8am, it didn’t open until 9am, too late for us.

Instead we ate at The Bridgewater Exchange. I had the veg market breakfast, without mushrooms. It was really nice, especially the tater tots. The “sausages” were good too, though they were more like vegetable hash browns, which isn’t a bad thing. The only disappointing thing was the avocado, which had an overpowering lime flavour.

They also had dairy free milks for tea which is great!

Flight

We flew with Virgin Atlantic in Premium Economy and I was able to prebook a vegan meal, though I found very little information about what it would be.

Shortly after take off we were given a bag of indie bay pretzel thins, followed by the main meal. This consisted of hummus and veg sticks, crackers, vegetable masala curry and a fruit salad. I must admit, I wasn’t expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it all was! Especially the curry which was fragrant and flavourful. It was served with a glass/can of wine which was clearly marked vegan too!

When it came time for hot drinks, I was pleased to see that they had oat milk available. I wasn’t really expecting any milk alternatives at all so this was great to see!

A few hours later they brought around some Pip Organic Rainbow Fruity Lolly. This was a nice touch but I can’t say I was a huge fan of it.

The final meal of the flight was the mile high tea. The savoury item was a green wrap filled with falafel, roasted veg and garlic and herb sauce. This tasted nice but was a bit soggy and did fall apart. The sweet item was a delicious lemon and blueberry scone with what I think was a sweet lemon icing to spread on top.

In addition to all the meals that were served, you could help yourself to snacks from the Wander Wall. Quite a few were vegan which was great!

Overall I was very impressed with what Virgin had to cater for vegans!

Bayliner Diner

After landing we breezed through security. There wasn’t a queue at all. Then pretty much straight after that our bags started to come out. We then got an Uber XL to Cabana Bay. This came in at $42.84+tip. All in all, it only took 1 hour and 15 minutes from the plane arriving at the gate to us arriving at Cabana Bay.

After checking into our room, getting settled and having a walk around the resort, we headed to Bayliner diner for dinner. There’s a few vegan options here that I’m excited to try, but this time I went for the Beyond Burger.

It was really good. The patty was really thick and the chips plentiful. Not sure if it’s just the way it’s cooked, but I think it did taste different, maybe even nicer then the Beyond Burgers back in the UK.

Burger Count: 2

Edited at 02:04 AM.
DisneyDante is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 01:47 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

First park day today! We only have one day planned for the universal parks so we spent the morning at Islands of Adventure, moving over to Universal Studios in the afternoon. We used early entry to try and get a short wait for Hagrids. We arrived at the gates at 7:43am. When we got to the entrance of the queue it was showing a 120 minute wait! Fortunately, from that point it “only” took an hour. Well worth it though, the ride is incredible!

After Hagrids we had a toilet break and were very lucky to be given some single use express passes by a family who didn’t need them!

For lunch I grabbed the Vegan Tots from The Green Eggs and Ham Cafe. They were sooo good! The tater tots were nice and crispy and were sat on a bed of marinara sauce. The “pepperoni” and “sausage” were pretty realistic and also gave it a nice spice. Even the vegan cheese tasted good!

We then headed over to Universal Studios and used our free express passes to skip the 1 hour long Minions ride, however, luck would be on our side again and the staff member scanning the passes said we could go ahead and keep them to use on another ride!

On our way out of Universal we stopped by Voodoo Doughnuts to pick up some “supplies”. I got the Voodoo Doll, vegan peanut butter and jelly and an apple fritter, all of which tasted amazing.

After going on a few more rides we went back to Cabana Bay for dinner, where I got the General Tso - Mindful “Chickn” stir fry. The portion was huge! The “chicken” was really authentic and had a nice texture. The sauce reminded me of a Chinese chow mien.

DisneyDante is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

It all looks great.

Your food at cabana bay & the voodoo doughnuts look ace. Makes me wish I was back there.
Ohanaa is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 22, 02:11 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

After a busy full day at the Universal parks yesterday we decided to take the day to relax and recover at the hotel. Unfortunately, there wasn’t really anything vegan at Bayliner diner for breakfast. I headed over to Starbucks, but even then, the only thing available was some bagels with no spreads. I grabbed a couple though, one for today and one for tomorrow where we have an early start for Kennedy. Both of which were ok, though a little dry.

For lunch I grabbed the Mindful “Chik’n” wrap. It’s the same “chicken” that I had in the stir fry which was really good. It came with an Asian style slaw that gave it a nice crunch and flavour.

We headed to Antojitos in City Walk for dinner. To get there we walked over to Sapphire Falls and got the boat which was a lovely way to travel there. On arrival to the restaurant you get given a “bucket” of warm tortilla chips and a bowl of salsa, both of which tasted freshly made and kept me going until the mains arrived. In addition I ordered a side of guacamole which was great. For my main I ordered the Nopales Taco which I think is a type of cactus. It was a bit like a juicier less firm bell pepper. It was ok, though didn’t have a great deal of flavour and the wetness caused the tacos to break apart making it difficult to eat. The star of the meal though was the blood orange margarita!

Old 18 Aug 22, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
breekinnear1981
New Poster (2)

We have a few nights booked at Cabana Bay when we go so disappointing to hear they don't have vegan breakfast options. That margarita looks the business though!
breekinnear1981 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 22, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by DisneyDante View Post
After a busy full day at the Universal parks yesterday we decided to take the day to relax and recover at the hotel. Unfortunately, there wasn’t really anything vegan at Bayliner diner for breakfast. I headed over to Starbucks, but even then, the only thing available was some bagels with no spreads. I grabbed a couple though, one for today and one for tomorrow where we have an early start for Kennedy. Both of which were ok, though a little dry.

For lunch I grabbed the Mindful “Chik’n” wrap. It’s the same “chicken” that I had in the stir fry which was really good. It came with an Asian style slaw that gave it a nice crunch and flavour.

We headed to Antojitos in City Walk for dinner. To get there we walked over to Sapphire Falls and got the boat which was a lovely way to travel there. On arrival to the restaurant you get given a “bucket” of warm tortilla chips and a bowl of salsa, both of which tasted freshly made and kept me going until the mains arrived. In addition I ordered a side of guacamole which was great. For my main I ordered the Nopales Taco which I think is a type of cactus. It was a bit like a juicier less firm bell pepper. It was ok, though didn’t have a great deal of flavour and the wetness caused the tacos to break apart making it difficult to eat. The star of the meal though was the blood orange margarita!

Loving your report. The food looks lovely, it’s great seeing more and more options (even if some are hit/miss).
Well done on your double use express pass, I love it when you get a bit of luck like this 😍.
Looking forward to the rest of your report, thanks for posting all this fab info
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 22, 02:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by breekinnear1981 View Post
We have a few nights booked at Cabana Bay when we go so disappointing to hear they don't have vegan breakfast options. That margarita looks the business though!
Definitely pack some breakfast bars! Such a shame though considering there’s quite a few lunch/dinner options.

Originally Posted by Lindsk View Post
Loving your report. The food looks lovely, it’s great seeing more and more options (even if some are hit/miss).
Well done on your double use express pass, I love it when you get a bit of luck like this 😍.
Looking forward to the rest of your report, thanks for posting all this fab info
Thank you! It was definitely a bit of Universal magic!
Old 19 Aug 22, 02:36 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

Up early today for our trip to Kennedy Space Center. We booked with Gray Line and they picked us up around 7:35am from the Royal Pacific. Because of the early start I just had the other bagel I picked up from Starbucks.

Kennedy has expanded a lot since I last visited as a child. Not only are there a lot more museum style exhibits, there’s also more for children to do, including a 3 floor space themed soft play area.

Unfortunately, food wise for vegans it’s not great. We stopped by at the Moon Rock Cafe over at the Apollo/Saturn V Center for lunch. They couldn’t tell me for sure if the veggie burger was vegan so I just got some fries and a banana.

For dinner we ate at Bayliner Diner where I got the beyond burger again and it was just as good as last time!

This is our final night at Cabana Bay. We’re heading over to Caribbean Beach from tomorrow!

Burger Count: 3